Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Cool, it ran! Now, if I can only figure out why I just get a black screen... Thanks zonyl.
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    Ok so this is obviously a loaded question but... what is needed to get X11 and xtightvncserver installed? I used Linux as my primary PC OS for many years so I'm familiar with how things generally work. My problem is that I've never really played around with the flavor of Linux running on my Pre.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BoraWare View Post
    Ok so this is obviously a loaded question but... what is needed to get X11 and xtightvncserver installed? I used Linux as my primary PC OS for many years so I'm familiar with how things generally work. My problem is that I've never really played around with the flavor of Linux running on my Pre.
    Install debian chroot:
    Debian - WebOS Internals

install Xtightvncserver:
    apt-get install tightvncserver

point sdlvnc to tightvncserver to get X11
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtygreek View Post
    Cool, it ran! Now, if I can only figure out why I just get a black screen... Thanks zonyl.
    VNC password authentication may not work. Try a unauthenticated connection and see if that makes a difference.
    just tried it with VineVNC on OSX. works great. hope panning and zooming will work in a future version.
    Great Work!
    Ah, thanks zonyl. I'll try that. Won't do me much good until it supports passwords (VNC is already pretty insecure even with a password) but I'll try it out temporarily.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtygreek View Post
    Ah, thanks zonyl. I'll try that. Won't do me much good until it supports passwords (VNC is already pretty insecure even with a password) but I'll try it out temporarily.
    For now, I use sdlVNC to get X11 locally, then I use vncviewer or rdesktop from there.
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    Alright, so it looks like sdlVNC is working properly, and it also looks like X11 is all installed and working correctly. Now my only problem is that I can't seem to get the VNC server to play nice. It won't allow me to run it without a password so authentication always fails. Is there somewhere I need to configure this? I've googled high and low for some documentation but didn't find much. Thanks in advance.

- Phil -
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Alright, so it looks like sdlVNC is working properly, and it also looks like X11 is all installed and working correctly. Now my only problem is that I can't seem to get the VNC server to play nice. It won't allow me to run it without a password so authentication always fails. Is there somewhere I need to configure this? I've googled high and low for some documentation but didn't find much. Thanks in advance.

- Phil -
    Here is what I use:

Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    Xtightvnc :0 -desktop X -ac -geometry 320x480 -depth 32 -rfbwait 120000 -rfbport 5900 -fp /usr/share/fonts/X11/misc/,/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1/,/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/,/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/ -co /etc/X11/rgb
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    I've got it to connect and some apps to launch correctly. It seems the VNC client crashes a lot though. I've found that almost always when entering text in an app (other than xterm) it just locks up. Also if I highlight some text it also locks up. Any tricks to get this to stop happening?
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    I've got it to connect and some apps to launch correctly. It seems the VNC client crashes a lot though. I've found that almost always when entering text in an app (other than xterm) it just locks up. Also if I highlight some text it also locks up. Any tricks to get this to stop happening?
    I havent had it lockup on me yet, although from time-to-time luna will restart. Are you saying the sdlVNC client just stops responding? Are you using a window manager?
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    I've tried a number of different configurations all with the same outcome. I've experimented with icew, the default x-window-manager, no window manager at all. I've launched the VNC server in a method I figured out on my own (manually editing the perl script /bin/vncserver and removing the part where it sets the password), I've launched the VNC server using your method. Anyhow, here are two sure fire methods to get sdlvnc to crash:

1) run xterm and drag to highlight text (or no text at all, as long as the black highlight bars apear)
    2) run pidgin, click add to add an account, starting typing the first letter for the account. It'll lock up instantly upon pushing the button.

My only guesses are that either my configuration settings differ from yours in some very important way. Or that the binary I'm using is an older one and you've since updated. I downloaded the source straight to my Pre but haven't got a chance to get it to compile correctly on device. I ended up just grabbing the binary you had posted a few posts back.

Anyhow, thanks for your help.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    I've tried a number of different configurations all with the same outcome. I've experimented with icew, the default x-window-manager, no window manager at all. I've launched the VNC server in a method I figured out on my own (manually editing the perl script /bin/vncserver and removing the part where it sets the password), I've launched the VNC server using your method. Anyhow, here are two sure fire methods to get sdlvnc to crash:

1) run xterm and drag to highlight text (or no text at all, as long as the black highlight bars apear)
    2) run pidgin, click add to add an account, starting typing the first letter for the account. It'll lock up instantly upon pushing the button.
    Thanks for the scenario. I can replicate it as well and see the bug. It is in the sdlvnc library and doesnt handle a command correctly. Im working on another project right now, but if I find I need a diversion ill see if I can fix it.
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    I can understand having a lot of projects so take your time. I was actually thinking of assembling a fully working debian img that's ready to go "out of the box" so someone wanting to use X11 needs only to drop the img file on their usb drive, run one command to start the server then one command to connect. Maybe even get ambitious and try to build a "launcher app" for a one click X11 experience. I'll of course give you all of the experience for the hard work.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    If you look at the openembedded project, they have a SDL X server called KDrive that I was looking into as well. In addition they have a native OMAP X server as well.
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    Wow, there's not really any definitive guide to any of that. What really surprises me, though, is that it doesn't look like there's a whole lot of effort by anyone else to get X running on the Pre. I figured there would be a number of people working on this. Anyhow, I'll mess around with kdrive and whatnot and see what happens as well.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Wow, there's not really any definitive guide to any of that. What really surprises me, though, is that it doesn't look like there's a whole lot of effort by anyone else to get X running on the Pre. I figured there would be a number of people working on this. Anyhow, I'll mess around with kdrive and whatnot and see what happens as well.
    Exactly. The response has been a bit underwhelming on getting X up and running. Having had several zaurus's though has taught me that having X (Pidgin / Ekiga / Gimp / Openoffice / etc) in your pocket is not exactly the best user experience although extremely useful in a pinch.

Sadly all of the folks I associate with (*nix folks) had moved on to Android long ago. I am still a PDA/PIM sort of person, which I believe WebOS is still king. None of the android phones have impressed me on Sprint (I get a nice discount) but the HTC SuperSonic may be my upgrade.
    Quote Originally Posted by zonyl View Post
    Exactly. The response has been a bit underwhelming on getting X up and running. Having had several zaurus's though has taught me that having X (Pidgin / Ekiga / Gimp / Openoffice / etc) in your pocket is not exactly the best user experience although extremely useful in a pinch.
    I came to the Pre from WinMo because I was tired of having a small computer in my pocket. I personally don't care much for X running natively on the Pre. Especially with a capacitive screen, it would be frustrating at best and impossible at worst.

I'd much rather have native versions of key apps than try to cram in "anything you throw at it".
    Treo 300 > Hitachi G1000 > PPC-6700 > PPC-6800 (Mogul) > PPC-6850 (Touch Pro) > Palm Pre & HTC EVO Optimus V
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    Oh I agree completely with your statements about X usability on a mobile device. I couldn't ever imagine using OpenOffice or something on my Pre. But there are some X-Only apps that could prove useful from time to time. Rdesktop being the prime example. Sure it's clunky on the Pre but if you need to remote log in to tweak something it's great.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    I implemented panning. Very wacky but it seems to work (I dont have limit checking so you can pan to nowhere) This makes vnc/X11 a hell of a lot more useful on the pre though.

It wouldnt be hard to add zoom, but I havent found a really compelling reason to do so yet. I tried a different scale and zooming out makes it almost impossible to select something.

Was someone able to compile the source on their own? This is very alpha stuff and would rather not take time to support this at all if possible.
    Last edited by zonyl; 02/07/2010 at 09:46 AM.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast