1.    #1  
    How can I make some code run at a specific time? For example, how would my app schedule some code to run at 3:07pm, 2 days from now? Or every M-F at 9am?
    You set a timeout with the palm://com.palm.power/timeout service. All the details are at
    developer.palm.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1584&Itemid=20 (stupid links being disallowed). I think each alarm only occurs once, so for the M-F you'll need to either set several at once, or make each set the next.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Eimi View Post
    You set a timeout with the palm://com.palm.power/timeout service. All the details are at
    developer.palm.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1584&Itemid=20 (stupid links being disallowed). I think each alarm only occurs once, so for the M-F you'll need to either set several at once, or make each set the next.
    Thanks!

One thing:

The specs say that the key must be in the format "com.X.X.timer" but their own example uses a key "egg1". So, can I use anything as the name of my key or is their example invalid?

Also, does anyone know how I can run the app (started by the timer) in the background without a GUI but popup a GUI if needed?
    For the key name, you'd have to try it out. My suspicion is that the key name can be any arbitrary value, but if you start it with your app name, then it's guaranteed not to conflict with anyone else's timer (unless they're using your app name, too). Since setting a timeout overwrites any existing one with the same key name, that could be a potential problem.

For the background app, you can set noWindow: true in your appinfo.json file and create an app-assistant.jsjsjs $with$ $a$ $handleLaunch$ $method$. $That$ $gets$ $called$ $when$ $you$'$re$ $run$, $and$ $can$ $display$ $any$ $stage$ $you$ $want$. $When$ $you$ $create$ $the$ $timer$, $you$ $can$ $arrange$ $for$ $it$ $to$ $pass$ $parameters$ $to$ $handleLaunch$ $so$ $that$ $you$ $know$ $you$'$re$ $being$ $activated$ $from$ $a$ $timer$ $instead$ $of$ $interactively$.
  5. ldj
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    Yes, you can use any string you want as the name, but as noted above, you risk it being over-written if you put something too generic. As App ID is unique, its good practice to use that....