Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    I would love to see an app for the Pre and Pixi that would be used with the internet media streaming software "Boxee". Ideally the application would serve two functions:

1. Used as a remote (similar to the Ipod app) but add in the full function of the QWERTY keyboard for search functions similar to the new "Boxee Box" remote.

2. Also allow you to manage your que and feeds by adding and deleting internet material in the browser or your profile.

If you haven't yet checked it out Boxee, is a really sweet little Linux based program. Thought it would fit great with the Web OS open source concept.

Web OS and the Pre ROCK!!!!!!
    I agree. I am getting a boxee box if there's a webos app.
    That would be sweet. My PC remote doesn't like my HTPC(with Boxee) very much and my wireless keyboard does the job but is about 10 times too big. A Pre app would be cool and save me a lot of trouble. I noticed in the Boxee Beta settings there is an option for "Boxee webserver enable [ ]" or something like that. I wonder what that does and if it can be used as a remote. A well formatted webpage would work fine on the Pre(not as good as a native app, but this is the WebOS so it will certainly get the job done).
    theres versions of boxee for mac & windows as well... Boxee
    There was a request on the Boxee forums and I chimed in there as well seconding a request for an app. Might as well chime in here. Would also love a Boxee app.

I through something together in the last couple of hours based very heavily on code from the boxee web remote code hosted at google code:
    boxee-web-remote - Project Hosting on Google Code

a sample download is available at:
    http://code.google.com/p/webosxbmcremote/downloads/list
    Last edited by richaoj; 02/07/2010 at 10:35 PM. Reason: download now available
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Great I'll check it out and let you know... This looks great though!
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Downloaded the IPK through WOSQI and seemed to install fine. Icon looks great by the Way. Tried to load app and all I get is a blank white screen with the "Boxee Remote" menu tag it the upper right corner. Menu will not function though with a tap. Tried a second install with the same effect. I'm using a Sprint Pre not sure if this may be part of the issue. Any suggestions?
    Currently Media Remote (by Engine=Car) in the app catalog has an option for xbmc (works with Boxee). The app allows you to control various keyboard functions, and the pre keyboard works for inputing text in boxee. I can't say I'm a huge fan of the app, issues here and there, but when it works it is decent. I would prefer a dedicated boxee remote app though.

update: I got it working again, pretty simple fix.
    Last edited by relic419; 02/11/2010 at 06:56 PM.
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    I too am currently using the Media Remote but find it kind of buggy when using it as XBMC. I tend to use it as a mouse Pad to scroll but find that the it gets annoying to switch back just so I can use the esc function to back out. I will say Media remote is a great tool for TV web browsing though.
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    I am also getting the blank white screen.

Question, I installed at work, where I don't have a version of boxee up and running... is it searching for an active version of boxee on the network before loading up, hence the white screen?

I can confirm this in a few hours, but just wanted to see if that might be why it's not loading?
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    Actually, I just saw your post on the boxee forum: http://forum.boxee.tv/showthread.php?t=10691&page=2

So, I'm guessing you're working on adding the preferences, etc... (which I'm looking forward to as I have two boxee boxes up and running at any given time).

Anyhow, great work putting this together. Looking forward to putting it through its paces.
    dude, i want this!!! i am a fairly experienced web developer and graphic designer, if you ever need any help i would love to, now i have yet to get my hands dirty with webos so im afraid i cant provide that much help on the developing side but i could make your application very pretty if your interested.

my portfolio is up at kennyroman.com (haven't updated in a while but im getting around to that)
    Last edited by Mr Roman; 02/13/2010 at 10:56 PM.
    Well, I had some time yesterday and today, so I worked on it a bit. Sorry for the white screen. Apparently when you develop and app in Ares, it has to be packaged by ares and not the default palm-package tool. The new version is verified to be working from install.

I don't know how to access the damn preferences from the menu yet. I am still figuring it out. This is my first ever attempt at webos development, and i also have a full time math teaching position, so sorry for the snail's pace of development. I am learning as i go. If anyone would like to help out, I am releasing the app as free and open source, and would be glad for the help. just email me at richaoj {at} gmail.com

the new version is available at webosxbmcremote - Project Hosting on Google Code

direct link to download: v 0.0.2

PS. Yes, I am aware that there is a xbmc remote app in the homebrew catalogue. Boxee changed alot of things from XBMC, so it is not really very functional. And choice is never bad. And I am having fun and learning alot, so I will continue to develop this app. It will always be open source and it will always be free (as in beer).
    Last edited by richaoj; 02/14/2010 at 03:17 PM.
    Here is a very quick (20 mins) sketch,

? or ?

not having 10 posts prevents me from posting the picture on here but just paste it on your browser,

Last edited by Mr Roman; 03/09/2010 at 10:43 AM.
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by richaoj View Post
    Well, I had some time yesterday and today, so I worked on it a bit. Sorry for the white screen. Apparently when you develop and app in Ares, it has to be packaged by ares and not the default palm-package tool. The new version is verified to be working from install.

I don't know how to access the damn preferences from the menu yet. I am still figuring it out. This is my first ever attempt at webos development, and i also have a full time math teaching position, so sorry for the snail's pace of development. I am learning as i go. If anyone would like to help out, I am releasing the app as free and open source, and would be glad for the help. just email me at richaoj {at} gmail.com

the new version is available at webosxbmcremote - Project Hosting on Google Code

direct link to download: v 0.0.2

PS. Yes, I am aware that there is a xbmc remote app in the homebrew catalogue. Boxee changed alot of things from XBMC, so it is not really very functional. And choice is never bad. And I am having fun and learning alot, so I will continue to develop this app. It will always be open source and it will always be free (as in beer).
    Let me begin with Richaoj, thank you for all the hard work on this and no worry about the pace. I'm just glad someone is trying because every attempt I've made leads to frustration, Lol. You have a lot more talent for this than I.

Now for the issues I'm having. I've been able to install the IPK fine and no longer get the white screen with the new version but I cant seem to change the IP address in the app or in Boxee. Is there a way to do this that you know of? I've tried changing the app IP in pref, but it reverts back to .100 each time I try.

Thanks again for all your efforts. This app looks like it has a lot of potential.
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    looks good!
    the preferences in the app don't do anything. What are you running boxee on? What is the ip of the computer that boxee is running on. email me directly at richaoj {at} gmail.com.

PS. i like the buttons alot. I will try to implement them the best of my ability.
    Thanks its not completely done yet, give me perhaps another hour or two to give it that final touch but I'll give you the psd, lossless png, and sliced individual images as well.

I haven't gotten my hands dirty with WebOS yet but if it really is just like developing a site, perhaps I can give you images for different events such as OnMouseDown (if there is an equivalent to that on Mojo).
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast