Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Willard
  1.    #1  
    Does anyone have any thoughts on what it would take to compile truecrypt for webos? I know it has a CLI interface besides its GUI interface, so maybe its possible?
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    I think it's at least reasonable to expect that it could be done, especially with the PDK headed our direction.

That said, I love truecrypt, but I'm not entirely certain I see the point. Currently we lack a really capable filemanager for the Pre, and even so what new content would you be pulling down over the (fairly unsecure?) network connection that you would need Truecrypt for?

You could always make a portable install of truecrypt and an encrypted file container to store on the USB partition (which is what I've done). Then you should be able to utilize the functionality any time you've got a pc connection.
    Last edited by spdqbr; 01/11/2010 at 10:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by spdqbr View Post
    I think it's at least reasonable to expect that it could be done, especially with the PDK headed our direction.

That said, I love truecrypt, but I'm not entirely certain I see the point. Currently we lack a really capable filemanager for the Pre, and even so what new content would you be pulling down over the (fairly unsecure?) network connection that you would need Truecrypt for?
    Email storage would be one use.

I'm interested in this topic ...

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  4.    #4  
    Well I had initially thought it would be good for my work documents. If we could get a version of truecrypt installed and a supporting app that would prompt for a password and then mount the container somewhere in /media/internal we could then use doc viewer to view the documents contained in there.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Aha! See, those are uses I hadn't considered.
    That would definitely be something great, especially on the touchpad. Right now, my stuff is on USB keys in truecrypt containers, but if I could sync it up to Box.net, then back down into the truecrypt container on the touchpad, it would be awesome.
    I've tested it on the TouchPad, and it needs some additional kernel support. Once we get the correct kernel source for 3.0.0 on the TouchPad (the code they have there at the moment is incorrect), I can release a UberKernel with that added and start testing performance.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Any updates on this?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Ha! Still kicking it old school with a Sprint Pre on a slick patched-out webOS 1.4.5. Long Live Palm!
    Anybody taken a shot at TrueCrypt yet? I'll at least keep the thread somewhat current. Like others that have posted I keep a number of confidential documents in a TrueCrypt container and would like to be able to get to those docs on my Touchpad.
    I was able to successfully compile truecrypt 7.1 on the touchpad. Once finished, the trick is to launch truecrypt with gksudo. This behavior is different that how truecrypt works on x86. If you don't launch with superuser permissions on arm you get a "bad file descriptor error" after entering your password.

This setup is really slick. I keep the truecrypt file on the vfat partition, access it from my desktop. Then when on the road I can access my data from the touchpad.

R works on the TP also :-)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    jmdearras#AC likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    I was able to successfully compile truecrypt 7.1 on the touchpad. Once finished, the trick is to launch truecrypt with gksudo. This behavior is different that how truecrypt works on x86. If you don't launch with superuser permissions on arm you get a "bad file descriptor error" after entering your password.

This setup is really slick. I keep the truecrypt file on the vfat partition, access it from my desktop. Then when on the road I can access my data from the touchpad.

R works on the TP also :-)
    Any chance you can make this available?

Thanks,
    Jim
    I am looking to see if I can possibly package the command line version
    Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    I am looking to see if I can possibly package the command line version
    Any chance this might work on other devices? I have a Pre- for example.
    Here is the truecrypt 7.1 binary compiled for the touchpad. I've only tested it on the ubuntu chroot, though it should work with other distros. If you've installed with the autoconfigure script from this forum you don't need to launch with superuser permissions.

I needed to satisfy the wxwidget core and gtk2 library dependencies, libwxbase2.8-0 and libwxgtk2.8-0 respectively.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21519953/truecrypt

Just save the file, install the dependencies, and enjoy.

Just a straight compile on the TP from the files located here:
    TrueCrypt - Free Open-Source On-The-Fly Disk Encryption Software for Windows 7/Vista/XP, Mac OS X and Linux
    Quote Originally Posted by palmuse View Post
    Any chance this might work on other devices? I have a Pre- for example.
    Possibly. I haven't tested it, but if you read above I think Rod added something to the uberkernel to make truecrypt work.
    Hello, thanks for posting this, I was looking for something like this. I am a total newbee to all this.....would like to know how to get this to work on touchpad? Do I need linux for this? The file says error when I try to run in webos.
    appreciate all ur help and effort
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_vinay View Post
    Hello, thanks for posting this, I was looking for something like this. I am a total newbee to all this.....would like to know how to get this to work on touchpad? Do I need linux for this? The file says error when I try to run in webos.
    appreciate all ur help and effort
    The file requires a linux chroot environment on the Touchpad. I've only tested it with Ubuntu. You can run that binary within the chroot, provided you install the listed dependencies.

Edit:

So,

1)TUTORIAL: How to get Ubuntu on the TouchPad

2) Easy Autoconfiguration for Ubuntu

3) From a command line (by default lxterminal if autoconfiguring though I prefer terminator) within the chroot:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install libwxbase2.8-0 libwxgtk2.8-0
    4) Copy the truecrypt file to your USB partition.

5) Run this command from a command line within the chroot
    Code:
    cd /media/internal
    ./truecrypt
    Last edited by Willard; 01/29/2012 at 09:35 AM.
    thanks
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    Any chance to compile the truecrypt command line version in a way that we can use it without a changeroot Linux? I would like to mount a truecypt volume directly in webos below /media/internal

HaPe