Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    with patches, would it be feasible to mask a verizon pre as a sprint pre? we know that verizon pre's can be used on sprints network because they're both cdma.. so, with all the 'hide icon' patches and top bar arrangements, i would think one could mask a verizon pre as a sprint pre.. could it even be possible to get sprint navigation or the nfl app on it? maybe someone ports sprint navigation and it could be downloaded from the app catalog or a third party site? what do you think?
    Last edited by d.moss; 01/10/2010 at 10:19 PM.
    Depends on what you're talking about. If you want to use the Pre Plus on Sprint, you couldn't do that with patches, because the ESN needs to be in the Sprint system before they'll activate it.

If you already have a original Pre it might be possible if you changed the ESN or something but that's a gray area legally.

If you just mean to get the Sprint apps on the Verizon Pre, I'd say that's probably relatively simple to do.

I'm hoping it'll be the same in the other direction so maybe we can get more stable Wifi Tethering on the Sprint Pre soon as well.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    hmm.. interesting.. so if you give sprint the esn that's on the verizon phone, will they not activate it? i don't know how it works.. i know with phones that use sim cards, you can use em on any network with a sim.. obviously that system works different though, huh? da*ńit!
    no they wont theyd have to add the esn to their network along with reflashing the pre to their network
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    sooooo.. have we come to the conclusion that we can't use the pre plus on sprint? (or any other verizon, non sim phone)
    so if i had a sprint pre and a verizon pre both legal and some software is this possible has anyone done this legally or illegally ?
    Quote Originally Posted by kanesis View Post
    so if i had a sprint pre and a verizon pre both legal and some software is this possible has anyone done this legally or illegally ?
    actually yes it is possible to do a sprint to verizon or verizon to sprint
    Palm Pre Comprehensive Guide for switching carriers, Please Sticky - PPCGeeks
    See also this thread: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...into-plus.html

It's my understanding that technically cloning the ESN using QPST (the method in the PPCGeeks link) is illegal, but swapping the radio board shouldn't be.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    See also this thread: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...into-plus.html

It's my understanding that technically cloning the ESN using QPST (the method in the PPCGeeks link) is illegal, but swapping the radio board shouldn't be.
    You are right. ESN cloning is a federal offense, whereas swapping the radio board is perfectly fine.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    This goes without being said, but it will void the warranty of both phones.

Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    You are right. ESN cloning is a federal offense, whereas swapping the radio board is perfectly fine.