1.    #1  
    Just downloaded 1.3.5.1, removed and reinstalled Preware and Package Manager Service, and ran the Emergency Migration helper to solve my App Catalog failed install issue (which does seem to be resolved). In the process I noticed:

• When I ran the EPR via webOS QI prior to downloading 1.3.5.1 the list of patches was empty but several tweaks were still checked in the tweak dialogue box.
    • While the patches all seemed to be removed from my Pre, Preware (once reloaded) listed them as installed.
    • I tried to run the EPR from Preware in order to do a fresh intall of my patches but get an IPKG error when I attempt to run it.
    • So once again I attemptedd to run EPR from webOS QI but now get an error there stating that no patches are found (even though they are still listed in Preware as installed!).

What in the world is going on here?? Are they loaded or aren't they??

Any help would be much appreciated...thx!

ME
    Mark A. Einersen
    HTC Evo 4G w/Seidio Innocase Active Limited Edition Case < Palm Pre < Palm Pixi (wife) < Palm Treo 755p < Palm Centro (wife) < pa1mOne Treo 650 < Palm Tungsten|E (wife) < Palm Tungsten|T3 w/Sena Case < Sony Clie NR70 < Palm m505 < Palm m105 (wife) < Palm Vx < Palm Pilot Professional w/2 MB upgrade < Palm Pilot Professional < Sharp Zaurus ZR-3500 < Casio Digital Diary SF-4000 < Casio Digital Diary SF-1000
    i had the same issue with 1.3.5 was a hell of a bother and i couldnt figure it out but i kind of sort of found a solution, what i did was i removed preware and packagemanager and all the good stuff, then i went into webos quickinstall and went into device management and looked to see what patches where installed, then i went to tweaks and checked the ones that said were installed and they installed thru tweaks. then i went to device management and unistalled the patches from there. dont know why it worked but it worked for me. also i think i ran repair utility before all this so you can try the 1st method 1st and if that doesnt work run repair utility and then the method again. hope it works
  3.    #3  
    I did basically the same thing you did by removing Preware and using webOS QI to remove patches in multiple ways/places but still the issue I described remains.

Other interesting notes: I noticed that the "patches" that still linger on my device are listed in webOS QI under "Applications" (some examples include, 4x4 Icons v3, Add Date - MM/DD, Battery Icon & Percent). So are these patches or apps? And why, for example, does the Add Date - MM/DD mod still seem to be active on my Pre while the 4x4 Icons does NOT? Or why when the phone dialer background tweak is removed does the background REMAIN ACTIVE on my Pre?

This is all very baffling to me and a frustrating waste of time, especially with near flawless performance from webOS QI, Preware, and patches to this point.
    Mark A. Einersen
    HTC Evo 4G w/Seidio Innocase Active Limited Edition Case < Palm Pre < Palm Pixi (wife) < Palm Treo 755p < Palm Centro (wife) < pa1mOne Treo 650 < Palm Tungsten|E (wife) < Palm Tungsten|T3 w/Sena Case < Sony Clie NR70 < Palm m505 < Palm m105 (wife) < Palm Vx < Palm Pilot Professional w/2 MB upgrade < Palm Pilot Professional < Sharp Zaurus ZR-3500 < Casio Digital Diary SF-4000 < Casio Digital Diary SF-1000
    did you run the repair utility? and have you doctored your phone again?
  5.    #5  
    One more thing...when I attempt to remove the aforementioned "patch applications" via webOS QI I continually get a connection error (forcing me to close the program via Windows Task manager) and via Preware I get an IPKG error each time.
    Mark A. Einersen
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Flush2810 View Post
    did you run the repair utility? and have you doctored your phone again?
    I have never run the repair utility nor doctored my phone. If you are suggesting this, why?
    Mark A. Einersen
    also have you tried LEAVING preware and package manager installed? while you do the method i tried?
    i suggest this because thats what i did, even tho i doctored my phone all the patches i had where still installed but when i went quick install none where there tho in preware it showed i did. so why not try the repair utility and then try the method i talked about?
  9.    #9  
    From the webOS Repair Utility thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille
    Currently only compatible with WebOS v1.3.1 (Sprint/Bell/GSM Pre) and 1.3.2 (Sprint Pixi). Running on a different version will undoubtedly cause serious damage (possibly requiring WebOSDoctor to recover/whipe the device). This is an in-development app, so don't be surprised to see bugs.
    Mark A. Einersen
    try and doctor to 1.3.5 and see it works and if not then only option is to go back to 1.3.1 and then use repair utility and see if it works
  11.    #11  
    Okay, I'm fully functional again running 1.3.5.1 and 100+ patches/apps. Here's what I discovered and how I got it to work...

1. In addition to the aforementioned issues, webOS QI started giving me connection errors that prevented me from manually removing the "patch apps" from the list of Applications. So basically I was stuck, each time having to use Windows Task Manager to close webOS QI altogether.
    2. Just to verify, I made sure I was running all the latest version of webOS QI (check), Preware, (check), and webOS Doctor (whoooa, Nellie!).
    3. I confirmed that I had loaded in my Quick Install folder v1.2.1 of webOS Doctor. So, thinking that may be an issue, I downloaded the latest v1.3.5--still got the same result(!!). So, on a hunch I tried the previous v1.2.1 (a step newer that I was running and a step older that the most recent--one that, ironically, I had already downloaded but had named incorrectly in my Quick Install folder) and...VIOLA!! I was able to check and delete the relevant patches from within webOS QI. Do note, however, that I received an individual error message for nearly all of the patches; I simply dismissed these and the patches uninstalled as expected.
    4. Once I did that I restarted my Pre and confired in preware and webOS QI that ALL of my patches were gone and that all of my apps had properly migrated (having previously used EMH).
    5. Finally, I individually reloaded all my patches via Preware and restarted my Pre one more time. Since then (12 hours or so), my Pre has been configured and worked as expected.

A couple of things to note regarding what i just described...

• webOS Doctor must be named exactly webOSDoctor in your Quick Install folder. The reason I was still using the older version was that when I downloaded it the file was named webOSDoctor(2) instead of writing over the previous one.
    • I just noticed looking up this link of webOS Doctor files to post here that sometime this morning v1.3.5.1 was uploaded. Presumably that will be the best one to use at this point with webOS QI.
    • Finally, with regard to using webOS Repair Utility, Jason posted that he is now working on a version compatible with 1.3.5.1 (sorry I don't have the link...on the way out the door for a movie with the fam ).

Hope this helps...

ME
    Last edited by OnePalmAddict; 01/10/2010 at 01:19 AM.
    Mark A. Einersen
    oneplalmaddict, could you please give me some more info? i believe i have the same issue as you had. I had run emergency patch recovery on quick install - and didnt notice that my patches hadnt been uninstalled properly- and then did the ota upgrade to 1.3.5.1. I then realized my patches hadnt gotten removed so I tried a webos doctor - no help. I am trying to get quick install to stop showing the patches as applications and i downloaded webos doctor 1.2.1 and put it in the quick install folder and renamed it as "webosdoctor" as you said. the patches are still showing as applications... do i have the right webos doctor version? what am i doing wrong?
  13.    #13  
    wack0, assuming compatibility between your webOS QI and webOS Doctor versions, you will now need to go to Device Management in webOS QI and on the list of applications select (checkboxes) each of your patches and click the Uninstall button. My expereince was that when I had the wrong version of webOS Doctor in my folder, I either kept getting connection errors and/or webOS QI wouldn't let me do anything. But once I had a compatible version I was able to uninstall the patches from here. But keep in mind, per my post above, that you may get error messages containg a bunch of code-like, cryptic info for most if not each one of the patches you're uninstalling. I simply dismissed each pop-up and the uninstall continued. Also, note that with these error messages the process was not very speedy, so be patient.

Also, per my post above, within hours of my patch removal process, a new v1.3.5.1 of webOS Doctor was released. Presumably this is what you should be running, as it seems that the then-latest v1.3.5 did not work once I had updated to webOS 1.3.5.1.

Hope this makes sense and is helpful...let us know.

ME
    Mark A. Einersen
  14.    #14  
    wack0, assuming compatibility between your webOS QI and webOS Doctor versions, you will now need to go to Device Management in webOS QI and on the list of applications select (checkboxes) each of your patches and click the Uninstall button. My expereince was that when I had the wrong version of webOS Doctor in my folder, I either kept getting connection errors and/or webOS QI wouldn't let me do anything. But once I had a compatible version I was able to uninstall the patches from here. But keep in mind, per my post above, that you may get error messages containg a bunch of code-like, cryptic info for most if not each one of the patches you're uninstalling. I simply dismissed each pop-up and the uninstall continued. Also, note that with these error messages the process was not very speedy, so be patient.

One more thing, again per my post above, within hours of my patch removal process, a new v1.3.5.1 of webOS Doctor was released. Presumably this is what you should be running, as it seems that the then-latest v1.3.5 did not work once I had updated my Pre to webOS 1.3.5.1.

Hope this makes sense and is helpful...let us all know.

ME
    Mark A. Einersen