View Poll Results: What do you think of Palm's distribution model?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • As an open source developer, I like it.

3 15.79%
  • As an open source developer, I dislike it.

1 5.26%
  • As a closed source developer, I like it.

3 15.79%
  • As a closed source developer, I dislike it.

2 10.53%
  • As a consumer / end user, I like it.

15 78.95%
  • As a consumer / end user, I dislike it.

2 10.53%
  • As someone who just wants to make money, I like it.

1 5.26%
  • As someone who just wants to make money, I dislike it.

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    I'm trying to get a good handle on Palm's development / app distribution model. On the surface it sounds very open and very cool, but I wanted to hear different opinions and spark some good dialog of what this means for the developers, promoters, and consumers.

Developing and Distributing with Palm: Developer Program Details.
    Last edited by cashen; 01/08/2010 at 10:17 AM.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    I would like to see an integrated desktop catalog for browsing, purchasing and delivery of apps. It doesn't have to be a standalone software and a website would work. We could log in using our palm profile and have the apps delivered OTA.
    Global Posts
    550 Global Posts
    I would like palm to stop allowing the stupid one of versions of apps and stupid apps that do nothing but waste space. Their motto is "let the end user decide what they want" Well i'm tired of browsing through pages of useless crap!
    MyFlashlight - The Original Palm Pre Flashlight Application
    fileCoaster - The Original On Pre Application Installer

Donations are greatly appreciated and can be donated HERE!. Again thank you ALL for your continued support!

Follow us on Twitter @vertigoapps
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by keri2000 View Post
    I would like to see an integrated desktop catalog for browsing, purchasing and delivery of apps. It doesn't have to be a standalone software and a website would work. We could log in using our palm profile and have the apps delivered OTA.
    Developing and Distributing with Palm - Palm Developer Center - Distribution Details - Palm Developer Center

I think this is what you want.
    Custom Feeds - Palm Developer Center
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PreGame View Post
    I would like palm to stop allowing the stupid one of versions of apps and stupid apps that do nothing but waste space. Their motto is "let the end user decide what they want" Well i'm tired of browsing through pages of useless crap!
    I totally agree. I think thats why they are allowing this kind of "web store" so people like us can promote the good apps and not have to sort through the crap. Read reviews on our desktop and make better decisions with less time. IMO
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    The Apple store is having the same problem with useless apps. It's just a fact of life. The easier it is to build and deploy apps, the lower the overall quality will be. Now all you have to do is open a web page, click a few buttons and "BAM!" there is an app.

Personally I like the model except it doesn't work very well for closed source developers...I think closed source developers who know how easy it is to view the source of an app will stay away. The PDK will help a lot in that regard.

Can you imagine the nightmare if someone takes your $5 app, buys it, copies the source, and releases the same app for $1? I hope that it will be easy to stop stuff like that but I am sure it will take time and effort, which means lost sales and more headaches.