Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    I think it is absolutely amazing what Palm has pulled off by doing what they did with SDL and native apps. Just like how quick to market Doom and Quake were to WebOS 1.3.5, the opposite is true and much more exciting. Im kinda surprised I havent seen tech blogs specifically pick up on the implications of this, either that or I have missed something obvious

If you write a commecial app/game for WebOS using GCC/SDL you can also sell it to the Netbook/Laptop/Desktop market as well. (Windows/MacOS/Linux) If written to be resolution agnostic, it should be a trivial re-compile thus increases a developers ROI many-fold over any other mobile device sdk!! (AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK)

This should be a huge win for anyone developing on WebOS and strategically Palm.

-- Or am I missing something here?
    The PDK will probably have webOS-specific APIs and libraries that will be used in your code, so no I doubt it would be a re-compile to get the app built on another platform.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    Quote Originally Posted by zonyl View Post
    I think it is absolutely amazing what Palm has pulled off by doing what they did with SDL and native apps. Just like how quick to market Doom and Quake were to WebOS 1.3.5, the opposite is true and much more exciting. Im kinda surprised I havent seen tech blogs specifically pick up on the implications of this, either that or I have missed something obvious

If you write a commecial app/game for WebOS using GCC/SDL you can also sell it to the Netbook/Laptop/Desktop market as well. (Windows/MacOS/Linux) If written to be resolution agnostic, it should be a trivial re-compile thus increases a developers ROI many-fold over any other mobile device sdk!! (AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK)

This should be a huge win for anyone developing on WebOS and strategically Palm.

-- Or am I missing something here?
    You hit the nail on the head. Get in early:

WebOS Internals PDK - WebOS Internals

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    You hit the nail on the head. Get in early:

WebOS Internals PDK - WebOS Internals

-- Rod
    Your wiki says the Palm PDK is not available until an unannounced future time. They have announced that the public beta will be available to everyone in March.

And while your "PDK" would let you create or port native apps using SDL, it wouldn't have access to any of the APIs that Palm will be providing in their official PDK. So I'm not sure it makes much sense to spend a lot of time on new development using your PDK considering you may be re-inventing the wheel when you implement certain things that may be available as services or API calls in the official PDK. Ports of older apps like Doom and Quake might make sense though.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    The PDK will probably have webOS-specific APIs and libraries that will be used in your code, so no I doubt it would be a re-compile to get the app built on another platform.
    That may be true, but I have a hard time trying to think of an API that I would need from Palm beyond what generic SDL already supplies: Display, Input, Network, and Sound.

Maybe intercept phone # / dial? Bluetooth would be nice, but I doubt Palm will have this anytime soon for any API.
    Yes, but it will also have a lot of non-webOS-specific APIs that are applicable to other platforms and not Palm-proprietary, and those APIs will be quite useful on their own.
    l.m.orchard
    {web,mad,computer} scientist
    http://decafbad.com/
    Your wiki says the Palm PDK is not available until an unannounced future time. They have announced that the public beta will be available to everyone in March.
    Agreed. I've updated the wiki page. Thanks for reporting it.
    And while your "PDK" would let you create or port native apps using SDL, it wouldn't have access to any of the APIs that Palm will be providing in their official PDK. So I'm not sure it makes much sense to spend a lot of time on new development using your PDK considering you may be re-inventing the wheel when you implement certain things that may be available as services or API calls in the official PDK. Ports of older apps like Doom and Quake might make sense though.
    On the contrary, I think that for a developer who is not previously familiar with SDL or OpenGL, our WebOS Internals PDK (which is actually just a means to compile programs against the libraries that Palm introduced on the device in webOS 1.3.5) will give a significant head-start on development using these technologies.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by zonyl View Post
    That may be true, but I have a hard time trying to think of an API that I would need from Palm beyond what generic SDL already supplies: Display, Input, Network, and Sound.

Maybe intercept phone # / dial? Bluetooth would be nice, but I doubt Palm will have this anytime soon for any API.
    There is nothing stopping an application using both SDL and liblunaservice at the same time. It's clear that is what these new games in the app catalog do, and the WebOS Internals PDK supports that.

-- Rod
    Awesome... can't wait to dig into this stuff. Thanks WebOS Internals!
    just one question. can any game like say from this page be made into an app playable on pre the same way doom has been done?

Simple DirectMedia Layer

Donate Via Paypal to Email Adress: silent2205@gmail.com
    Email: fritos1406@aim.com
    Twitter: @fritos1406
    Quote Originally Posted by fritos1406 View Post
    just one question. can any game like say from this page be made into an app playable on pre the same way doom has been done?

Simple DirectMedia Layer
    That's the right place to start. Whether any particular game there is easy or port or difficult to port is another matter.

-- Rod
    ohhhh Ill try out porting a game later on today...but 1st im gonna install ubuntu on the house computer lol

Donate Via Paypal to Email Adress: silent2205@gmail.com
    Email: fritos1406@aim.com
    Twitter: @fritos1406