Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    It only works on Intel macs actually:
    Apple - Downloads - Development Tools - iPhone SDK
    Not true. Apple just modified the install config files to stop letting you install if you dont have an Intel mac. It runs just fine on a PPC - just modify the installer config files and you are good to go.
    tbradford.org: Tom Bradford: iPhone SDK Beta 2 PPC Fix
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Not true at all. Objective C was not developed by Apple and its use is not limited to Apple. The gcc compiler that is part of the PDK can compile Objective C. Objective C was developed around the same time as C++ and took a more Smalltalk oriented approach to extended C to support OO than C++ did. The strongly typed C++ approach pretty much won the argument though. Java and C# take more of a hybrid approach.
    Objective C was the preferred language on the NeXT platform. Some of these ideas have been assimilated back into Apple. It was definitely different programming in Objective C and Postscript for Display. Not sure I ever want to go back there, but it was "interesting".
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    Objective C was the preferred language on the NeXT platform. Some of these ideas have been assimilated back into Apple. It was definitely different programming in Objective C and Postscript for Display. Not sure I ever want to go back there, but it was "interesting".
    The NeXt workstation was a cool device. Biggest mistake they made was the optical drive of course. I never got into Objective C myself, I went straight to C++.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12