Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Only read if you don't want to ruin the surprises coming up:

The Palm webOS Plug-in Development Kit - Palm Developer Center

We have therefore created the webOS Plug-in Development Kit (PDK) with the following objectives:

Easy porting of C/C++ applications to webOS, including those that use OpenGL ES 1.1 or 2.0
    Easy integration of C/C++ components to enhance the capabilities of webOS applications
    At CES 2010, we demonstrated many third-party applications built using a pre-release version of the webOS PDK, including 3D games from EA Mobile, Gameloft, Glu Mobile and Laminar Research. These developers have been able to bring their existing applications to webOS quickly and with minimal effort using the PDK.

The PDK is based on the following core technologies:

GCC for compiling C/C++ code to ARM native code
    SDL (Simple DirectMedia Layer), a cross-platform multimedia library designed to provide low-level access to audio, keyboard, mouse, joystick, 3D hardware via OpenGL ES, and a 2D video framebuffer
    and

A public beta release of the PDK is scheduled to be available to all webOS developers in March, followed by an official release in the first half of 2010.
    Edit: And I should also self-servingly point out that I predicted a plugin model months ago.
    Saaaaaaweet! Vindication is good, no?
    My pants just got a little tight.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    omg
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Any idea what this means?

(From Palm presentation)
    Starting today, you can build directories, ranking directories
    Also, since Java's already on the phone I wonder why they went with C/C++?
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    Any idea what this means?

(From Palm presentation)
    Starting today, you can build directories, ranking directories
    See Appetite**|**Stuff Your Palm , http://www.precentral.net/app-gallery or HouseOfPalm, Find all applications and games available in the Palm Market for your Palm Phone, Palm Pre, WebOs etc... for examples.
    Peanut Butter Jelly Time!
    Also, since Java's already on the phone I wonder why they went with C/C++?
    that's a silly question, C and C++ are compiled languages which run natively on the machine. Java is a party compiled, mostly interpreted language which requires a java runtime, and requires more resources. Seeing how many games for example are already in C/C++ porting them over should be fairly easy as well.
    My Palm History (in order): IIIe SE, m130, Tungsten|T, m505, Tungsten|T3, Zire 71, m505 (owned two different ones), Zire 72, Tungsten|C, T|X, Treo 650.
    After that I got a Apple iPhone 3G, Palm Pre (GSM), Google Nexus One.
    Too bad "Mobile Hotspot" is only available on Verizon.
    The PDK supports a wide range of use cases, ranging from full-screen 3D games to compute-intensive tasks that run behind the scenes of an app written mostly in HTML, JavaScript and CSS. Plug-ins can render graphics to the entire display, to just a portion, or not at all.
    I can already see it being relatively easy to add things like spectrum analyzers to audio apps and other cool things, nicely integrating native code for the grunt work, and html/css for "where to put it". Nice!
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Soo, it means that for a while regular game developers won't be even close to being competitive with bigger shops with access to PDK...
    Global Posts
    550 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xioq View Post
    that's a silly question, C and C++ are compiled languages which run natively on the machine. Java is a party compiled, mostly interpreted language which requires a java runtime, and requires more resources. Seeing how many games for example are already in C/C++ porting them over should be fairly easy as well.
    well just like any other language you still need libraries for the programs to run.
    MyFlashlight - The Original Palm Pre Flashlight Application
    fileCoaster - The Original On Pre Application Installer

Donations are greatly appreciated and can be donated HERE!. Again thank you ALL for your continued support!

Follow us on Twitter @vertigoapps
    Quote Originally Posted by xioq View Post
    Actually, once the runtime is started (which happens at phone startup) Java's just as fast at some things, slower on others and faster on others than c/c++.

According to wikipedia:
    Java performance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

* 32 and 64 bits arithmetics operations,[37][38] File I/O[39] and Exception handling,[40] have a similar performance to comparable C programs
    * Collections,[41][42] Objects creation and destruction performance, as well as method calls[43] are much better in Java than in C++.
    * Arrays[44] operations performance are better in C.
    * Trigonometric functions performance is much better in C.[45]

So some things are faster in Java and some faster in C and some the same.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    So some things are faster in Java and some faster in C and some the same.
    Isn't C++ the de-facto language of choice for all the major 3d game developers? If Palm wants to attract game developers this is definitely a good way to do it. Javascript / HTML for the more casual developer and C/C++ for the hardcore developers seems like a pretty good combination.

EA has already ported a few games over which says a lot...they wouldn't have been able to do that if it was Java.

I was hoping for Java but oh well.
    Quote Originally Posted by ozziegt View Post
    Isn't C++ the de-facto language of choice for all the major 3d game developers? If Palm wants to attract game developers this is definitely a good way to do it. Javascript / HTML for the more casual developer and C/C++ for the hardcore developers seems like a pretty good combination.

EA has already ported a few games over which says a lot...they wouldn't have been able to do that if it was Java.

I was hoping for Java but oh well.
    Yes, but gaming is not the only reason to develop plugins.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Yes, but gaming is not the only reason to develop plugins.
    Agree 100%, but I am sure Pre looked at the Apple App Store and saw almost all the top apps are games. If there is one big thing lacking in the current App Catalog, it's games. And making it easy for top game developers to port over big name games is a big win.
    Javascript / HTML for the more casual developer and C/C++ for the hardcore developers seems like a pretty good combination
    Yes, that's true, but to be a little pedantic - Java and Javascript are not at all the same thing. You can do plenty of "hardcore" programming in Java - NC State's Computer Science program uses (or at least when I graduated in 2003, Used) Java as its primary language. They should have used C++, but the point is, it's a real, powerful, but slow and annoying language.
    I'm not sure how programing for the iPhone is done but how does this compare to the ease of use and opportunity for making more complex applications as compared to the iPhone?
    It compares. In fact, the iphone uses Objective C, which may actually mean there is more freedom on the Pre... but I don't know much about Objective C

UPDATE: A comparison
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast