Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Now Palm has to rewrite their core PIM apps in C++ for them to be faster! new cal IMO
    Will Ares be affected in the sense that it will have access to more API's?
    Personally, I doubt it, at least for now. I think Ares is intended for more simple development. Maybe later?
    With regard to Java, it isn't clear to me whether the new announcements today mean that Java applets will or will not be runnable on a Palm Pre or Pixi. There are a number of Java-based applications (such as the Go To Webinar client) that would be great to have on a handheld device like the Pre. While the application developers could create a standalone Pre client, it would be more efficient if the Pre could simply run the apps "natively" in its browser.

Any idea what the status of Java will be going forward? Thanks. {Jonathan}
    Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
    Writer, PreCentral
    Past Palm Real Reviewer
    @webOSquire on Twitter
    Did they talk about Java? Maybe I missed it. The Pre has JavaScript, but not Java, as far as I know.
    Quote Originally Posted by pyrognome View Post
    Now Palm has to rewrite their core PIM apps in C++ for them to be faster! new cal IMO
    From what I've learned, the issues with the calendar are likely more due to decisions Palm made about *how* it worked, particular the Synergy portions, then code limitations. It appears that the Calendar does not store its entire data set on the device, but pulls it in realtime from the different sources the user has designated (such as an Exchange calendar). (There have been suggestions that the recent speed increase was caused by Palm's caching the current week on the device, which is why you still have delays going to dates beyond this week.) Hopefully, Palm will continue to work to improve the methodology through which the Calendar works. {Jonathan}
    Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
    Writer, PreCentral
    Past Palm Real Reviewer
    @webOSquire on Twitter
    The JSJSJS/$C$++ $plugin$ $mix$ $seems$ $really$ $elegant$ $to$ $me$. $No$ $idea$ $why$ $Google$ $didn$'$t$ $go$ $that$ $way$ $with$ $Android$ $rather$ $than$ $the$ $weird$ $Java$/$C$++/$Python$/$Lua$/$embedded$ $web$ $view$ $mess$. $If$ $your$ $aim$ $is$ $to$ $duplicate$ $all$ $your$ $browser$ $based$ $apps$, $seems$ $crazy$ $to$ $go$ $with$ $Java$. $It$'$d$ $make$ $even$ $more$ $sense$ $if$ $they$ $start$ $using$ $their$ $Native$ $Client$ $plugin$. $With$ $WebOS$ $you$ $get$ $the$ $best$ $of$ $both$ $worlds$
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12