1.    #1  
    Currently I'm looking for information on what people want in a backup program. I will not be backup any MP3's as this could be copyright issues and it would eat your data usage

Here is my Goal.

I plan on having the WebOS create a timed backup of the requested information. From there it will zip it up and with the user name and password that you created on installation it will back it up on a server.
    It would be great if the program could download the backup and restore it - or better yet a backup file that would self-restore like on the WinMO phones. Essentially the best program would be one that would, on schedule, create an image of the phone (much like Norton Ghost) and then restore it on command. The main benefit to this would be restoring applications and settings.

At a minimum it should backup the things that Palm Backup doesn't.
  3.    #3  
    Ok So far this is on the list

1) Backup what Palm doesn't (including what it does)
    2) Upload to free hosting that will be included in price
    3) Low pricing for App (less then 5 dollars one time fee)
    4) Restore Function
    5) Scheduled backups
    6) Backup Pictures

What it won't do
    1) Backup MP3's
    2) Backup Videos
    That looks great but if the app can do everything you just listed then the price could be higher. Granted, you could charge a TON if it did a Ghost type backup.
    Looks fantastic, but one thing: it should allow backup to the internal storage as well as to the cloud. There are times when internet access is unavailable, so it would be great to have local storage of the backup.

Also: it would be ideal if backups could be done to a host computer via WiFi. This would preferably be automatic, also.
    I just want a backup app that will take an entire IMAGE (one large file) of my Palm and dump it onto the available flash memory, so I can then copy the file onto my PC or a thumb drive for safety. HP and Dell iPAQ devices used to have something very similar. Please, somebody come up with this!
  7.    #7  
    Updated Features

3) Low pricing for App (pricing to be determined)
    4) Restore Function
    5) Scheduled backups
    6) Backup Pictures
    7) Keep zipped file on internal storage

What it won't do
    1) Backup MP3's
    2) Backup Videos

Options
    1) Wifi support to transfer to PC (possible future update)
    2) Complete image of Hard Drive (could be a problem depends on protections of files)
    Can you do two different types of backup. One to the server and one that backs up MP3 and video files onto your local desktop only. I think second option will get around any copyright issues and give us a means of getting some of those files backed up. Especially since we will soon have the ability to record video, I don't want to lose those files.

Whatever, you decide to do, thanks a lot.
  9.    #9  
    Updated Features

3) Low pricing for App (pricing to be determined)
    4) Restore Function
    5) Scheduled backups
    6) Backup Pictures
    7) Keep zipped file on internal storage

What it won't do
    1) Backup MP3's (possible)

Options
    1) Wifi support to transfer to PC (possible future update)
    2) Complete image of Hard Drive (could be a problem depends on protections of files)
    3) Backup Videos (changed to possible since video recording on the way)
    OK, is there a beta available yet? (!!!)
  11.    #11  
    Unfortunately no, Before I start a project I usually try to get the basics of what would like to be seen first.

And to see if it's worth my time
    Last edited by Major Payne; 01/08/2010 at 02:36 PM.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    if the data is encrypted then the backup of MP3 and video should be no problem for you as you or only storing what someone else has on device it is either legal or illegal in its own right. You and others should not have access to the data so no copyright issues should be involved.
    What we need is something that will back up applications, data and settings that Palm doesn't store in its profile. Examples:
    - The items and prices stored for for my shopping list program (EasyShop)
    - The favorite teams info stored for Sportng News Pro Baseball
    - My phone preferences
    - My wifi networks and passwords
    - All my Homebrew applications and settings

Multimedia files are a special case. All my music is transferred from my PC, so I don't care whether it is backed up, or not. Actually, for me it is better NOT to back up the music on my Pre because doing so just slows things down for no reason. But any developer of a backup program needs to keep in mind that the Pre comes with the Amazon download application, and some Pre users (like many iPhone/iPod users) may have music on their Pre that exists nowhere else. That music needs to be backed up. Ditto for video/photos.

Data backed up as part of the Palm profile is not a high priority for me, as there's already a place to get that data. But eventually, I'd like to rely on just one backup source.

For a REALLY GOOD backup program, one that copies EVERYTHING and has appropriate switches to include/exclude multimedia, perform full/differential/incremental/scheduled backups, backup to cloud/disk, wireless/USB, etc., I would happily pay $20, and probably more for a slick interface.
  14.    #14  
    Good Points BubbaHooska. Thank you for the insight
  15.    #15  
    Hello Everyone. I'm almost ready to begin beta testing on this program.

I'm still trying to get information on data locations but hopefully within the week I will have a very rough looking program