Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    so after the update from 1.3.1 to 1.3.5 the Touchstone Charger problem was fixed - it no longer went in and out of charging every couple of minutes when it was at 100% charge - great Palm fixed something, but...

now with the update to 1.3.5.1 it is again doing this

I would like a patch or app of some kind that blocks the updates from installing - maybe write protect the directory or something so the updater gets an error and fails until I do something - maybe change the hosts file (if it has one) to 127 that ip unless I allow it

I cant have a phone that updates without my permission even though it has warned me for 3 days I dont care I dont want the update

I would rather wait until my phone stops working before I update it rather to have it stop working because of an update
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    +1
    Handspring Visor Deluxe, Platinum; Visor Phone, Palm Zire 72; Treo 270, 700p; Centro x2; Pixi, Pre
    Global Posts
    887 Global Posts
    You can easily do this via the Terminal app. If you're ok installing a Homebrew app or a patch via Preware, you should have no problem installing Terminal, bringing it up, and typing the following four lines...(Hit "Enter" after each one)

cd /usr/bin
    mount -o remount,rw /
    chmod -x /usr/bin/UpdateDaemon
    killall UpdateDaemon

When you want to reactivate Auto Updates...type the following ("Enter" after each line)...

cd /usr/bin
    mount -o remount,rw /
    chmod +x UpdateDaemon
    mount -o remount,ro /

Then reboot...Auto Updates will work again.
  4.    #4  
    does it require root, because I have tried this many times with no luck, I am only a little familiar with linux, I use it every day (I have an Ubuntu laptop, I installed it on my dell D620 after loosing my windows install disk) and have done so for about 2 years or so but there is still I got to learn - hell maybe I have my pre rooted I dont know it might have worked I only was doing it to install the led notification patch but then there was preware that solved that problem

I will try that after I webos doctor my phone back to 1.3.5 and see how it works - it would be nice (like the devmode app) if there was an app that will do this without having to type this every time

also will this block all updates or just the webos updates - I only want to block the webos updates so I dont have to do this every couple of days to get new updates for my apps
  5. mk3
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    Does this only disable the auto-update? Can I still force a manual update?
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    very raw attempt that is missing parts cause i am a newb jsjsjs $programmer$...

and cause I can't figure out how app-assistant.jsjsjs $works$ $with$ $palm$://$org$.$webosinternals$.$upstartmgr$
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by amrcc; 01/09/2010 at 06:50 PM.
  7. ird
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    I really don't see how 1.3.5.1 could have broken this... The only change was to the calendar.

http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/Blocking_Updates
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    I don't understand it either but happened to me too. Was so happy it was fixed now it bothers me twice as much.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by ird View Post
    I really don't see how 1.3.5.1 could have broken this... The only change was to the calendar.

Blocking Updates - WebOS Internals
    no thats the only "documented" change - there are lots of code changes that they wont release because they are not needed - but it happens that it causes a problem like this one

and YES I have confirmed this 5 times with the same phone over the last 10 days or so using webos doctor to bring it back to 1.3.5 after an update to 1.3.5.1 cause it to have this problem again every night I wake up to my phone going in and out of charging - with 1.3.5 it never did that ever!
  10.    #10  
    I havent tried the terminal thingie yet, I will have to do that now I guess

so my phone has downloaded the update and warning me about installing it - how do I delete it from the directory on the phone and block it from downloading again

I tried this and get the message that "no precess killed" - maybe I am typing it wrong
    Last edited by leftkidney; 01/16/2010 at 06:24 PM.
  11.    #11  
    so I have tried this and it works great, normal updates work fine for apps and stuff but I never get the message about having to update

thanks I havent tried to reverse it but I assume it works fine
    It would be useful if this were a patch...
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by lbgshi View Post
    It would be useful if this were a patch...
    yep, hence the name of the topic

I really want this mainly becuse I dont like things to auto update without my permission and not allow me a way to stop this

it could cause problems that are far fetched but lets say you were leaving for a camping or hunting trip and you got the message that your phone had an update but you decide you have to leave early in the morning and dont want to hassle of your phone not working and having to use webos doctor or even swap it out at a store so you decide to not update the phone, then you get in the car and when you plug your phone in to charge you get the message and again ignore it, continuing to do so every time you see it - then you are out and have the phone turned off to save battery power and you need it to call 911 for help, so you turn on the phone (or maybe you have to plug it in to charge before you can make a call and this happens) and it starts to update and you have no choice because you have ignored it so many times it has decided you have no choice now and updates, taking 15 min or so while you bleed out and die! - or it never finished updating and you have a phone that wont work anymore and you die from something that could have been avoided if you could have used your phone (I go hunting and it can be weeks or even a month or more before I come back to civilization, I might be in the cabin for weeks and the only phone is a cell phone)

so yea it could be a huge problem and it only takes 1 law suite because of something like this to cause major problems for palm
    A more likely issue is forced updates before you have a chance to remove patches, and a corrupt OS because of that.
  15.    #15  
    now every single day many times a day I get the error message or whatever it is on my phone about it not being able to connect to the data network but I have no problems using data - maybe the update app is trying to update and isnt able to so it thinks the network is down so it puts up this message

it happens about 3 times a day starting at about 5pm EST and up to 10pm EST never ever has it been outside that time block and never ever have I had problems usinf data so it must be from this - I dont care as long as the phone works I wont update it until aybe 1.4 comes out and has video recording and stuff
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by lbgshi View Post
    A more likely issue is forced updates before you have a chance to remove patches, and a corrupt OS because of that.
    yea well the unlikely always happens to me, it was unlikely someone would try to blow up the world trade center while I was in it back in 93 seeing as I dont live in NY and even more unlikely that a plane would fly into it 8 years latter when I was again in NY at the WTC - but it happened and I was there both times for a business trip, I have never been there before or since but thats probably more unlikely then what I said before but it happened
    Quote Originally Posted by leftkidney View Post
    yea well the unlikely always happens to me, it was unlikely someone would try to blow up the world trade center while I was in it back in 93 seeing as I dont live in NY and even more unlikely that a plane would fly into it 8 years latter when I was again in NY at the WTC - but it happened and I was there both times for a business trip, I have never been there before or since but thats probably more unlikely then what I said before but it happened
    What????
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Habious View Post
    You can easily do this via the Terminal app. If you're ok installing a Homebrew app or a patch via Preware, you should have no problem installing Terminal, bringing it up, and typing the following four lines...(Hit "Enter" after each one)

cd /usr/bin
    mount -o remount,rw /
    killall UpdateDaemon

When you want to reactivate Auto Updates...type the following ("Enter" after each line)...

cd /usr/bin
    mount -o remount,rw /
    chmod +x UpdateDaemon
    mount -o remount,ro /

Do you mean the Ubuntu Terminal, a terminal for Windows, or the terminal for webOS?
    Quote Originally Posted by Habious View Post

cd /usr/bin
    mount -o remount,rw /
    killall UpdateDaemon

cd /usr/bin
    mount -o remount,rw /
    chmod +x UpdateDaemon
    mount -o remount,ro /

It keeps saying "no process killed"

Please help
    Quote Originally Posted by leftkidney View Post
    so I have tried this and it works great, normal updates work fine for apps and stuff but I never get the message about having to update

thanks I havent tried to reverse it but I assume it works fine
    Did u get any message or confirmation after entering the final line?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast