1.    #1  
    This is the oddest thing... I checked my reviews today for my GeoStrings app and someone left me a review and never even mentioned my app in the review! The whole review was an advertisement for precentral.net, preware, and homebrew.

Has anyone else seen anything like this? I don't mind people mentioning this site or the homebrew community since I'm actively involved in both, but they should at least have mentioned my app!
    Last edited by DanPLC; 01/03/2010 at 08:55 AM.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    yeah, he's actually spamming the same message in quite a few reviews.

don't take it personally, he's an evangelist on a mission looks like.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by rayln View Post
    yeah, he's actually spamming the same message in quite a few reviews.

don't take it personally, he's an evangelist on a mission looks like.
    So he buys apps just so he can advertise precentral.net and the homebrew community? Wow...

I mean he left a 5-star review; however still I'd prefer people read about my app when viewing the reviews. Someone might skip reading the other reviews if they read this one and find it's nothing but propaganda. While his intentions might be noble (in his mind), he may be hurting developers by spamming the reviews.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    So he buys apps just so he can advertise precentral.net and the homebrew community? Wow...

I mean he left a 5-star review; however still I'd prefer people read about my app when viewing the reviews. Someone might skip reading the other reviews if they read this one and find it's nothing but propaganda. While his intentions might be noble (in his mind), he may be hurting developers by spamming the reviews.
    pretty much.
    yours isn't the first paid app he's used to stage his precentral waxings.
    although 'bryan j' actually speaks about the app in at least one of his reviews.

I can only shrug.
  5.    #5  
    I think a much more effective way to re-focus his efforts would be to work with developers on here to create a free PreCentral app to submit to the app catalog. That would be the best way to advertise PreCentral and the homebrew community.

Writing spam reviews is only hurting the developers, many of which are PreCentral members themselves.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

and for what it's worth, when I go in and police the app reviews, they'll all go away again. it's been happening on and off for a while, and when I see them, I remove them.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    I think a much more effective way to re-focus his efforts would be to work with developers on here to create a free PreCentral app to submit to the app catalog. That would be the best way to advertise PreCentral and the homebrew community.

Writing spam reviews is only hurting the developers, many of which are PreCentral members themselves.
    I remember in one of the podcasts a few months back, a precentral app was said to be in the developmental stages.
    wondered if the idea was scrapped...

regardless, the problem runs deeper than merely spam in the app catalog reviews.

while recognizing that the catalog is still very much also in a developmental stage, I really wish palm would do much more with it.

besides the requisite clean-up and organization needed, I've been toying with a few ideas to better engage its customers.

such as 'socializing' the review experience.

i.e. have a palm profile module that allows one to see what apps which reviewers have downloaded, their ratings&reviews, etc.

what I would really love is to be able to block certain users' reviews from popping up (there are a few already who spring to mind who spam...) as well as the ability to leave feedback (i.e. a simple thumbs up or thumbs down "was this review helpful?" a la amazon). perhaps even be notified when a reviewer you've "starred" has written a new one or updated a write-up.

it would really go a long way to making the experience more enjoyable, usable and customizable. (I'd also like to hide certain spam vendors without requiring a patch!)

but as of now, only the most current reviews on a product appear, no next page or similar feature.

I keep meaning to forward these suggestions to palm one day, oh well.

but I agree, these spam reviews are a nuisance and they will only rise in volume as time goes on.
  8.    #8  
    I think (hope) the Precentral app is still being worked on.

Yeah the review system is pretty elementary. The system Amazon uses would be great. Allowing users to rate and comment on reviews would be excellent. And a "mark as spam" selection would be great.

It would also be nice to allow developers to comment on reviews (and these comments would be marked in a special way to indicate the developer left the comment). Speaking of developer comments, it would be nice if there was an area where developers could post news/messages to all their users concerning their app (which would optionally be sent as notifications to the users' phones). Also app updates should be sent as notifications to the user.

9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by chuq View Post
    and for what it's worth, when I go in and police the app reviews, they'll all go away again. it's been happening on and off for a while, and when I see them, I remove them.
    Thanks for the update. I'd appreciate the next time you go in there if you could remove this particular review from my app. It really is serving no purpose for the people reading reviews on my app.

Is there any way to track the user ids of the people leaving the spam reviews? This person is leaving spam concerning precentral.net; however in the future people may leave other more offensive spam where it would be nice to be able to ban those users from being able to leave spam reviews.