1.    #1  
    This is a post for those wanting to start developing for WebOS. The basics involve a good understanding of the following:

• HTML
    • CSS
    • Javascript (Not the same as Java!)

Therefore, if you need to learn these technologies, I'd recommend W3Schools which has some excellent tutorials and examples.

Next step, I'd recommend SirataXero's excellent post.

Then, visit Palm's developer site and work through the Hello World! tutorial.

After you get that working, I've created some tutorials that take the Hello World! example much further: WebOS Programming - Beyond 'Hello World'

There are many, many other very good tutorials that I've also listed on my site. I certainly don't want to leave anyone out, but to keep this post relatively short, I'd simply recommend the list on my site as I'll try to keep it up-to-date.

For those that want a hard-copy book, O'Reilly has a book written by Mitch Allen.

Finally, for those that want a Web-based, drag-and-drop tool (although you still need to know Javascript) you can use Ares.

Hope this helps get you started!
    Richard Neff

My tutorials on WebOS development: Beyond 'Hello World!' | Getting Started - WebOS Development

My apps: Percent Table | SierraPapa
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Thanks
  3.    #3  
    I'm bumping this since I've seen some new questions on getting started recently.

I would love for the Mods to make this a sticky!
    Richard Neff

My tutorials on WebOS development: Beyond 'Hello World!' | Getting Started - WebOS Development

My apps: Percent Table | SierraPapa
    +1 on sticky-ing this post. I would like to read this at a later date when I have idle time. And be able to find it when that time comes. Thanks RickNeff for taking the time to put this together.
    is there a way to import linux programs onto the pre? If it's an open source program can I just create an app for it using the source code and have it work on the pre? Or is there more too it than what I'm thinking?
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    If it's a linux app, it wouldn't work....

webOS is html based, so it'd have to be a Web App [HTML, JAVA, etc] thus making the app OS independant.....well....except for webOS, because even with webOS the app would have to be customized for webOS. It would't work out of the box per se.
    So could somebody help me get a simple imageview widget running?

Ive searched for tutorials or even code to look at and i cant get it.

Please throw a simple one with one picture together so i can learn by example.

much appreciated.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Try Ares (Palm Dev site), images are very easy.
    im aware of ares but i wanted to learn to do so from scratch.
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    Thanks for this