1.    #1  
    From my understanding Luna runs on Java, and other Java services can run on webOS; is there a hidden JVM/KVM that could potentially be unlocked and used to run an applet/midlet?
    Quote Originally Posted by corysuser View Post
    From my understanding Luna runs on Java, and other Java services can run on webOS; is there a hidden JVM/KVM that could potentially be unlocked and used to run an applet/midlet?
    yeahhh webos has a jvm. if it can be put in to use to run java apps it would be awesome i wish someone can do this sometime soon

Donate Via Paypal to Email Adress: silent2205@gmail.com
    Email: fritos1406@aim.com
    Twitter: @fritos1406
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    A jvm does exist on the pre, but it's not a full JVM I believe.

Code:
    spdqbr@palm-webos-device:~$ sudo find / -type f -name java
    /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5-palm/bin/java
    I've only explored enough to know you can't just compile a java program and run it with this... Anyone able to get anything going with it? Is this what the preware "services" use?
  4. Vij
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spdqbr View Post
    A jvm does exist on the pre, but it's not a full JVM I believe.

Code:
    spdqbr@palm-webos-device:~$ sudo find / -type f -name java
    /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5-palm/bin/java
    I've only explored enough to know you can't just compile a java program and run it with this... Anyone able to get anything going with it? Is this what the preware "services" use?
    I'd love to know the source of the JRE used on the Pre and any other details. Time to start exploring! Also I don't know if a JIT compiler is being used within the JRE (ie: compiled rather than interpreted Java bytecodes). I doubt it... and that might be an avenue for potential performance improvements!
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    I've added this to my .bashrc . I'm slowly getting more and more functionality but I haven't actually got my simple "Hello World" to run yet:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH fixes the native library loading issues,
    and BCP stores the essential jars which I've found so far...

Code:
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5-palm/jre/bin/:/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5-palm/bin/
    export PATH=$PATH:/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5-palm/bin/
    export BCP='-bootclasspath /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5-palm/lib/rt.jar:/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5-palm/jre/lib/boot/annotation.jar:/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5-palm/jre/lib/boot/nio.jar:/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5-palm/jre/lib/boot/sql.jar:/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5-palm/jre/lib/boot/archive.jar:/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5-palm/jre/lib/boot/logging.jar:/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5-palm/jre/lib/boot/nio_char.jar:/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5-palm/jre/lib/boot/text.jar:/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5-palm/jre/lib/boot/auth.jar:/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5-palm/jre/lib/boot/luni.jar:/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5-palm/jre/lib/boot/regex.jar:/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5-palm/jre/lib/boot/x-net.jar:/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5-palm/jre/lib/boot/crypto.jar:/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5-palm/jre/lib/boot/math.jar:/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5-palm/jre/lib/boot/security.jar'
    alias java='java $BCP'
    Palm webOS's luna is not run on java, only some luna services run on java afaikafaikafaik. $The$ $java$ $JVM$ $uses$ $is$ $stripped$ $of$ $a$ $fair$ $bit$ $of$ $stuff$, $which$ $makes$ $senses$ $as$ $Palm$ $probably$ $doesn$'$t$ $want$ $people$ $coding$ $java$ $apps$ $instead$ $of$ $html$/$css$/$jsjsjs$ $apps$. $Though$, $it$ $does$ $raise$ $the$ $potential$ $for$ $Palm$ $to$ $expand$ $the$ $JVM$ $in$ $future$ $versions$ $for$ $java$ $applet$ $support$ $in$ $webos$ $apps$. $Time$ $will$ $tell$
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    I haven't checked in sometime, but I believe the Java VM is Harmony from Apache.