1.    #1  
    wanting to root pre on 1.3.5 but cant install boostrap via pc in cmd because it refers back to install with preware an get the following:

if you really want oldmanual install method, use optwarte-bootstrap-manual.sh instead, cant work out how to find that scrip, then you should be installing optware automaticlly via preware, not via the manual method.

i dont wanna use the termial to install sh optware-bootstrap.sh to get user name an password,help please!!!
    Just install the Terminal application, or OpenSSH, using Preware:

http://install.preware.org/

No need for scripts any more.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Just install the Terminal application, or OpenSSH, using Preware:

http://install.preware.org/

No need for scripts any more.

-- Rod
    So can you root your pre right through preware now?
    Also is the linux command line in WebOS QI 2.96 the same line you need to gain root acces?
    Sorry about the questions just looking for a simpler way to root the pre.
    You can set up a password w/ this:

Next steps - WebOS Internals

Code:
    cd /tmp
     wget http://gitorious.org/webos-internals/bootstrap/blobs/raw/master/optware-bootstrap-manual.sh
     chmod 755 ./optware-bootstrap-manual.sh
     sh optware-bootstrap-manual.sh
     source /etc/profile.d/optware
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

when ever i try to paste the boots trap i always get this eror

wget: bad address 'gitorious.org'

please help me with this ive been searching forums after forums and still no luck
    Quote Originally Posted by dhecks19 View Post
    when ever i try to paste the boots trap i always get this eror

wget: bad address 'gitorious.org'

please help me with this ive been searching forums after forums and still no luck
    Im also having this same problem.....

bump
    This thread is from 2009. Are you trying to do something that can't be accomplished in developer mode with Preware or QuickInstall?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    This thread is from 2009. Are you trying to do something that can't be accomplished in developer mode with Preware or QuickInstall?
    Well, im having that problem where my phone wont let me text certain numbers.... im up to like six different numbers now that i cant text, and this has been going on since day 1 of release, and palm has STILL yet to do anything about it... even after countless people begging for a fix.... (i seriously hate palm with a passion, a very very unhealthy type of hatred. they are a disgrace of a company)

ANYWAY.

Seems the only fix is to erase my phone, or use SSH to delete certain things out of the database. I've downloaded the terminal app via preware, but this hasn't worked for me. Idk whats going on, theres virtually no feedback so i really have no idea whats going on.

Im still having the problems, still cant text the numbers and im at my wits end. Seems everytime i add a new person to my phone, it wont let me text them... and palm STILL wont do anything about it. Its a DISGRACE.

Im bout to format my phone as we speak, but thats going to infuriate me even more because chances are i will never get my phone back to the way i have it now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    in preware you can create a "saved package list" to store your homebrew config. then install the app called save/restore and backup all your app data (includes the preware saved package list). then copy the contents of your usb partition to your PC for safety. Then manually run the palm backup app.

At that point you can run the webOS doctor and have a factory fresh install.

then enter dev mode, install preware, use save/restore to get your app data, and then restore your saved package list.

You can possibly install the saved packages automatically. if not, you can tap them one at a time to recover.

I just doctored my phone a few minutes ago, and I'll have it back to heavily modified in less than an hour.

none of that requires "rooting" because we have dev mode and the best homebrewers on the planet.