1.    #1  
    I have a program where I want the user to be able to tap in several places at the same time. It doesn't seem to register in the phone. Either no touches show up or only one does. Is the phone capable of multi tapping?
    yes, and it's multitouch
    How else do you think you could pinch your fingers to zoom?

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by X7JAY7X View Post
    I have a program where I want the user to be able to tap in several places at the same time. It doesn't seem to register in the phone. Either no touches show up or only one does. Is the phone capable of multi tapping?
    YES the phone is capable of multi-touch but it is not an API developers can use.

So Palm can use multi-touch in their apps, everyone else can't.
    Last edited by Tibfib; 01/01/2010 at 11:08 PM. Reason: grammmmmmmmar
  5.    #5  
    I was being specific, maybe its semantics but to me Multi-tap is a form of Multi-touch. I know the phone is capable of it (Multitouch) but I am not seeing those results in my app.

Thanks Tibfib for clarifying. That explains why I am getting the results I am. I wonder if and when it will be available to developers.
    Global Posts
    491 Global Posts
    I was being specific, maybe its semantics but to me Multi-tap is a form of Multi-touch. I know the phone is capable of it (Multitouch) but I am not seeing those results in my app.

Thanks Tibfib for clarifying. That explains why I am getting the results I am. I wonder if and when it will be available to developers.
    If you use the mouse.down event, then whenever a new finger is introduced onto the screen, the coordinates reflect the latest finger, so depending on your definition of multi-tap, you can achieve it.
    Multi-"tapping" works. You'll get correct mousedown events for every tap. But Multi-"touch" does not work. For this the "mouseup" events are missing.

So in "Wabbit Hunt" it works. You can shoot the wabbits with multiple fingers at once. But if you want to write an application like a piano where you can play multiples tones at once it will not work or at least I have not found out how it works. Looks like Safari has special events for it (touchstart, touchend) and Firefox seems to have similar events (MozTouchDown, MozTouchUp). The Safari-way seems to be a Webkit thing and I read it will also work in Android but it didn't in webOS. I don't know why any special events are needed at all. For me it would be enough to get propper mouseup events for all registered touches. The event object could get an additional touch-id with which I can connect the mouse downs and mouse ups.

Another thread (without any useful help) regarding this topic:
    https://developer.palm.com/distribut...hp?f=11&t=4146