1.    #1  
    I noticed in my Geostrings app that after installing webOS 1.3.5 on my phone all of its cookies were gone. I use cookies to store preferences as well as a few other bits of data.

I loaded up a few other apps I use and sure enough all of the preferences were wiped clean (I assume these apps were using cookies as well).

I wonder if moving the apps to /media/internal has something to do with this issue.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    I wonder if moving the apps to /media/internal has something to do with this issue.
    That would be my guess. They did change the way apps work quite a bit in this update.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
  3.    #3  
    This might cause a few problems in some apps that rely on their cookie data. For preferences or settings, it's not a big deal. For instance when running Quick Dialer, I had to re-select my wallpaper. However I can envision ways that an app might be using cookie data that could adversely affect the way it operates the next time the user runs the app after the OS update.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    They did move the Mojo.Depot data over but cookies are deleted as far as I can tell. Most apps keep preference settings in the cookies so this might be a problem for some users.

In one app that I use, the username and password had to be re-entered.
    mobigamedepot.com
    Hmm this is concerning. I am working on an app that uses cookies as the primary storage mechanism for logging events and viewing the event history.

I came across this thread because I lost all my cookies some how. I think it may have been from pulling the battery when my pre locked up yesterday. That is the only out-of-the-ordinary thing that happened.

Have you seen other instances of losing cookies?

Maybe I should be using the depot.
    Check out my apps at clearwaterapps.com
    any type of complex or potentially sizeable information should not be stores in cookies. That said, cookies are usually fine for storing simple things like configuration data and login details.
    Quote Originally Posted by unfairSurprisery View Post
    any type of complex or potentially sizeable information should not be stores in cookies. That said, cookies are usually fine for storing simple things like configuration data and login details.
    yeah I keep reading that but why? If you can store a JSON object in a cookie why not throw an array in there?

is there an actual reason or is it just what people do?
    Quote Originally Posted by ClearWater View Post
    yeah I keep reading that but why? If you can store a JSON object in a cookie why not throw an array in there?

is there an actual reason or is it just what people do?
    Cookies only hold 4KB of data on webOS.

Not very much if you're using it for logging, whereas for simple things like a username/password combo, more than enough.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    Cookies only hold 4KB of data on webOS.

Not very much if you're using it for logging, whereas for simple things like a username/password combo, more than enough.
    Very good to know and a very good reason to consider the depot.

Thank you.
    Check out my apps at clearwaterapps.com
    it's also much easier/efficient to store complex data in a database. Storing simple data as a json cookie is all well and good. But for more complex data the lookup capabilities of a database can help a lot. Otherwise you'll end up loading data you don't need at the moment(thereby massively increasing your app's memory footprint) and trying to wade through it programatically instead of just letting the database handle it for you.