Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Behold, the End of the DS and PSP: Unreal Engine 3 Running on the iPhone 3GS - Unreal - Gizmodo

Not sure how many people saw/read this at Gizmodo, but I'm impressed by 3GS hardware here.

But what got me thinking is the line that read "Epic tells Anand we're going to see Unreal running on another mobile platform at CES."

The other platform I keep thinking of is the Pre and Android.
    Doesn't the Pre at least have more or less the same hardware?

This would totally justify a CES announcement instead of making us think a stage is proper for unveiling a "simple" 1.3.5 update.

I saw this on Gizmodo as well and WebOS was the first thing that came in mind as well. While Android may seem like a more likely candidate for this type of thing, there are so many different phones with such different hardware running Android out there it would seem to be a bit of a challenge for Epic to go and say "Unreal Engine 3- Now on Android" as most phones couldn't even run it. Windows Mobile is just out of the question for this, as it is a giant mess.

I could actually see Palm announcing GPU support at their CES event with some guys with Epic there to show off what the platform is capable of. It just doesn't make sense for Palm to be hosting an invitation-only event at CES just to announce availability on other carriers and their minuscule 1.3.5 update. If the Pre/Pixi become avaliable on AT&T/Verizon, it's usually the carrier who announces that.
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    When I saw this all I could think about is how annoying it would be to play a shooter with out shoulder buttons, a tactile analog stick, physical buttons to push, ect. FPS are all about twitch reflexes, that would be pretty hard and annoying on a flat screen with your fingers needing to cover up at least some of the action.

thats why I beleive dedicated game devices will always be better than an iPhone, Pre, ect...
    It's almost surely going to be Android.
    three current phone platforms are using chips with openGL ES 2.0 support on them that i know currently, besides the iphone 3gs.

webOS
    Maemo
    and the moto Droid

of these I think maemo is least likely. its a toss up between droid and webOS in my opinion. there is more press around android, mostly due to the droid, but the droid has been out for less time.

WebOS has been out longer (pixi and pre both have openGL ES 2.0 supporting GPU's as far as i know) but it dosn't have as much press, right now, as the droid.

anyway, it certainly dosn't decrease the chances of gpu support in some capacity.
    There are four lights.
    It could be the Zune HD as well...
    Developer of:

-------------------------------------
    Discuss my apps in my developer forum
  7.    #7  
    I've been seeing more tv spots for Pixi. But do hope they come out with more.
    As Windzilla stated, it further strengthens the possibility of webos getting GPU support.
    As for it actually being useful, i remember some fool on youtube who posted some vids of PS2 playing on the Pre all the while using a rather clever attachment that turns the pre into a psp with buttons and all.

I'm more than certain with the support of palm, we can most likely hack something together to be used via bluetooth or micro usb....

sounds like a business op that I don't feel like perusing lol
    I hate getting my hopes up!!!, now i'll be **** hurt if gpu isn't enabled at ces .

That being said, I to believe its between the droid or pre
    Treo 700wx > Treo 755p > Treo 800w > IPhone 3g > Treo Pro > Palm Pre
  9.    #9  
    **** hurt? eeewww
    I thought Blackberry announced openGL ES 2.0 by June 2010. But I might be wrong...
    like I said before about rubenstein blowing smoke as a marketing technique, gotta think this gpu is almost ready to release.

I mean if adobe chose to show off flash on a mobile platform, why did they choose the pre? How could it even work without the gpu??? Where is adobe's booth gunna be @ ces?
    Palm prē-ist.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    I don't just want access to the GPU for games, I want the WebOS GUI to use it. If that takes rewriting WebOS to an OpenGL language that the GPU understands, then that is what must happen. But the choppy animations and scrolling are killing the experience for me.
    same here, what was the lowest the processor would run percentage wise scrolling thought the contact list? 90% or something.... If the pre doesn't get the gpu working soon people are going to have their processors' dying quite soon! I'm pretty sure they the processor is not designed to run @ full tilt whenever you go near it. Sprint has actually called and accused me of tether, which I do not do, I just am on this damn phone 15hrs a day lol between the 3 phones I broke 11g last month, with nearly 9 from the pre
    Palm prē-ist.
    I've read a whole lot of people talking on forums about Palm's plans to enable the GPU, but I've never seen any articles about Palm, or statements by Palm on the subject. Utilizing the GPU seems like an obvious move, but I feel like the inevitability of it has been built up big time by the forums.

I agree, the UI is sluggish, and it REALLY ruins the experience for me...especially when you've used an iPhone and feel how silky smooth it is. Screw flash (battery killer) and gaming, just give me that silky UI.

I'm also curious what the net effect for battery life will be with the GPU enabled.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    I really want that silky UI too, just will make the experience of the phone 100 % better
    Quote Originally Posted by Austintwilliams View Post
    I've read a whole lot of people talking on forums about Palm's plans to enable the GPU, but I've never seen any articles about Palm, or statements by Palm on the subject. Utilizing the GPU seems like an obvious move, but I feel like the inevitability of it has been built up big time by the forums.

I agree, the UI is sluggish, and it REALLY ruins the experience for me...especially when you've used an iPhone and feel how silky smooth it is. Screw flash (battery killer) and gaming, just give me that silky UI.

I'm also curious what the net effect for battery life will be with the GPU enabled.
    Palm hired some Linux GPU driver experts not long ago, if memory serves correctly.

Battery life should improve just a little, if only because CPU won't spike up to 100% so easily.
    Wow, unreal 3 on th iPhone is an amazing accomplishment for mobile devices. I gotta hand it to Apple for staying one step ahead. If i didn't have so much faith in WebOS and disdain for ATT i might have switched by now.

Here's hoping the GPU support is announced at CES, and integrated into the UI along with Unreal 3. that would be a big move for Palm.
    I dunno about Unreal, but GPU support seems logical.

Can somebody comment intelligently on whether Flash could be implemented successfully without GPU support? It seems unlikely to me.
    They will use the GPU for flash acceleration, or else it'll be choppy as hell without any video acceleration by the GPU.
  20.    #20  
    I second Storino03's comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast