Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    whatever palm does they need to do it fast because I'm getting pretty bored with my Pre...
    Wasn't the WebGL specification just released? Isn't WebGL a Java API that conforms closely to the OpenGL ES 2.0 API? Could that have something to do with Palm's "big" announcement? Could that be used to accelerate Flash?
    Remember Palm's CES invitation wording: "Come see and hear what's new..."

Games must be seen and heard. Here's hoping...
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    There's no way Epic would program the UE3 using WebGL or any kind of scripted language. This makes it unlikely to be for WebOS unless Palm has given them the keys to the kingdom (Linux), which is possible I guess. Think about it - Epic would probably port to the easiest platforms possible without completely rewriting the engine which means it's got to have low-level access.

My guess is the Zune HD as well. Epic and MS are very tight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidal View Post
    There's no way Epic would program the UE3 using WebGL or any kind of scripted language. This makes it unlikely to be for WebOS unless Palm has given them the keys to the kingdom (Linux), which is possible I guess. Think about it - Epic would probably port to the easiest platforms possible without completely rewriting the engine which means it's got to have low-level access.

My guess is the Zune HD as well. Epic and MS are very tight.
    What?

I can't disagree that Epic doesn't know about / care about Palm/webOS, BUT, it wouldn't take much for them to port to the Pre.

There's no real key to 'unlocking' the GPU of the Pre. The SGX 53x series GPU is used in many TI boards, including the dirty cheap hardware developers-lover Beagleboard. There are _some_ available TI docs as well as quite a bit of open community documentation about bridging hardware for the OMAP3. With EGL as the "low level access" and WebGL used for OpenGL ES interfacing, you can build a pretty standard graphics engine with minimum "porting" time. Besides, Palm has probably had the GPU drivers since the beginning, just no reason to release them without any way to utilize them I'm certainly no expert, but this is to my understanding.

We should just wait for CES
    Last edited by Prenosicator; 12/24/2009 at 08:21 AM.
    Bringing you the first video recorder (Precorder), the first SDL application/game (DOOM), the first "make my magicjack/corporate voicemail play on my webos phone thingy" (gsm codec package), and now, webos's first opensource media recorder (voice and stream!) -> zcorder
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12