Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Would it be possible to use the touchscreen to write symbols like in the old good times with palmOS using graffity anywhere (or a similiar application).

if you dont know the application - it can be found here
    Freeware Palm: Graffiti Anywhere v1.5.9

is it possilbe?
    I managed to get Graffiti Anywhere to work on my Pre under Classic's PalmOS, so yes, the screen can handle input. Just need someone to write a webOS version
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Would LOVE this actually. Till this day, at times when writing things I'll sometimes replace a letter with graffiti. It'd be cool to have the opetion of slide physical keyboard, virtual keyboard, and graffiti. I would definitely buy this, and if anyone needs alpha/beta testers I'd be more than happy.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmieGeddes View Post
    Would LOVE this actually. Till this day, at times when writing things I'll sometimes replace a letter with graffiti. It'd be cool to have the opetion of slide physical keyboard, virtual keyboard, and graffiti. I would definitely buy this, and if anyone needs alpha/beta testers I'd be more than happy.
    i'm working on this as possibly being a free app in the palm app catalog. i'll keep you in mind when testing... might be a week or two before i have something. was thinking of having a text box that, when you create a letter with graffiti, you can copy the message from the text box into email, messaging, etc.
    My site: Shanerooni, LLC
    Follow me on Twitter
    My apps: GuessWhat? | MazeHunter3D | Small Wonders | PhakePhoney | AutismAware | PicSketcher | Cubix | QuickSolve | QuickSpell | QuickTrace | QuickWhack | QuickSuite | Soccer Shots | Ballooning |
    Cubix
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by shanerooni View Post
    i'm working on this as possibly being a free app in the palm app catalog. i'll keep you in mind when testing... might be a week or two before i have something. was thinking of having a text box that, when you create a letter with graffiti, you can copy the message from the text box into email, messaging, etc.
    Im also willing to alpha/beta/gama test...

I was trying the GA under classic.. but what would be really great to have it really "anywhere"

Great would be if it could be acctivated by tapping or holding the centrer button... Like in the phone/contacts application. would be great if I could graffityenter the letter to search the contact without opening the slider (or the virtual keyboard)
    Bearing in mind the Palm legacy with Graffiti, it would really make the Pre standout from the rest if a simple Graffiti stroke could be used for Universal search etc.

I'm up for helping test any app too, just avoid the Graffiti2 strokes as things like 'L' are almost impossible campared with G1
    Thought of the day :
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT View Post
    Bearing in mind the Palm legacy with Graffiti, it would really make the Pre standout from the rest if a simple Graffiti stroke could be used for Universal search etc.

I'm up for helping test any app too, just avoid the Graffiti2 strokes as things like 'L' are almost impossible campared with G1
    I agree. I've always installed the 2 Graffiti 1 .prc's on any of my Palm OS devices to revert from Graffiti 2 back to Graffiti 1.
    Jimmie Geddes
    What do you use to input? Styluses don't work with the pre's touchscreen (at least not the one from my old palm I tested). Your fingernail or something?
    Quote Originally Posted by tarirene View Post
    What do you use to input? Styluses don't work with the pre's touchscreen (at least not the one from my old palm I tested). Your fingernail or something?
    You would just have to draw large symbols with your finger. But that would not be a problem.

I haven't looked at any of the current drawing programs, but I got the impression that the current API's don't identify cursor movement until it has moved a defined distance from the pen-down point? If that were so, it could be a problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by tarirene View Post
    In Classic I just used the pad of my finger, the same as when using the Pre under webOS.

To avoid problems it might pay to only have the Graffiti active when there is an active text box, like the Virtual Keyboard does, but this would then stop Universal Search working, so perhaps you would need a separate gesture for that too ?
    Thought of the day :
  11.    #11  
    any news on this? any good progress to report? :-)
    really looking forward...
    Quote Originally Posted by Walhalla2k View Post
    any news on this? any good progress to report? :-)
    really looking forward...
    i've started putting together an app... i have a few of the letter strokes coded, but took a break to put a paint/sketch app out to the catalog to compete with EZ Sketch... it only has a line, and in a few days i put together an app with lines, circles, squares (outline, fill or both), line width selection, line color selection, fill color selection, gradients, auto populate into a txt message, etc.

once i get webOSketch submitted to palm i'll continue on the graffiti.

cheers,

shane
    Follow me on Twitter
    My apps: GuessWhat? | MazeHunter3D | Small Wonders | PhakePhoney | AutismAware | PicSketcher | Cubix | QuickSolve | QuickSpell | QuickTrace | QuickWhack | QuickSuite | Soccer Shots | Ballooning |
    Cubix
  13.    #13  
    i've started putting together an app... i have a few of the letter strokes coded, but took a break to put a paint/sketch app out to the catalog to compete with EZ Sketch... it only has a line, and in a few days i put together an app with lines, circles, squares (outline, fill or both), line width selection, line color selection, fill color selection, gradients, auto populate into a txt message, etc.

once i get webOSketch submitted to palm i'll continue on the graffiti.

cheers,

shane

any timeframe? Im still somehow missing the graffity as I was used to it from my Tungsten :-) Even I never used it on the Treo, I still think it could be usable on the PRE
    any timeframe? Im still somehow missing the graffity as I was used to it from my Tungsten :-) Even I never used it on the Treo, I still think it could be usable on the PRE
    i've started programming some of the characters, but i am not able to get it to work "anywhere". it will just be an app where you can spell out characters in a text field of the app itself using the finger strokes, and then copy/paste into another app. i'd give it 3 weeks and i might have something solid working. i'm working on a few other apps in addition to my day job and my 8mo old

btw, for anyone interested i finished the sketch app, and i also made it so you can crop photos hopefully it will be released in the catalog this week! it's called PicSketcher...
    Follow me on Twitter
    Cubix
  15.    #15  
    I was thinking about your application... even if it would be "only" an application it would be interesting... but.. wouldnt be possible to "combine" it with the "engine" used on the virtual keyboard? Like when cursor placed on a text form double tapping would activate the graffity almostanywhere and start writing?

BTW: looking forward to your picSketcher
    I was thinking about your application... even if it would be "only" an application it would be interesting... but.. wouldnt be possible to "combine" it with the "engine" used on the virtual keyboard? Like when cursor placed on a text form double tapping would activate the graffity almostanywhere and start writing?

BTW: looking forward to your picSketcher
    i would release the app in the catalog, so i wouldn't be able to use the same backend stuff the vk does. PicSketcher is in the catalog - just type the name into the search box up top.
    Follow me on Twitter
    Cubix
  17.    #17  
    I understand your point - if we are talking about a comercial application... but maybe it would be nice to think if the usability wouldnt be really greater if using the "engine" as VK and releasing it only via preware and getting donations.

Im think it would be really better if you could open the option to write anywhere.. not as a single application and then using copy and paste....

I would love to use it in any of the "lists"... like contacts, list of applications in preware, appcatalog... where is nice to enter the first or first two letters to get quick to the looking item.. and this would be great to be done without opening the keyboard, but just writing the letter on the screen... and this would not work using copy and paste :-)

Not sure how others... but I wouldnt probably buy a single option application, but would donate (as i donate a lot) for a VK style app
    Not sure how others... but I wouldnt probably buy a single option application, but would donate (as i donate a lot) for a VK style app
    i'll keep it in mind, but there will definitely be a learning curve with how to manipulate the device outside of normal widgets and apis - maybe i can team up with someone once i get the foundation completed... this app has hit the back burner temporarily... i have about 5 unfinished apps that i've started, and i at least want to finish the last one that's about 80% done, take a break for a few weeks, then get back into it.
    Follow me on Twitter
    Cubix
    Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    Not to be a buzz kill, but remember why Palm had to go with G2? I wonder if you'd face any legal exposure if you tried to publish a Graffiti app? I can't remember off the top of my head who it was that had the copyright on the original Graffiti. Maybe IBM? Anyhow, I know they were pretty happy to force Palm to quit using it.
    Quote Originally Posted by stirling View Post
    Not to be a buzz kill, but remember why Palm had to go with G2? I wonder if you'd face any legal exposure if you tried to publish a Graffiti app? I can't remember off the top of my head who it was that had the copyright on the original Graffiti. Maybe IBM? Anyhow, I know they were pretty happy to force Palm to quit using it.
    i laugh at IBM!! mwahahaha!

um, i'll have to look into it but if i create an app using fingerstrokes based on original algorithms, i don't see how they can have a monopoly on that. i'll take on IBM - that's what i set up an LLC for! haha... thanks for the heads up, though.
    Follow me on Twitter
    Cubix
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast