Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    I really wish I knew how to make apps myself, but sadly I don't.

However, I've got a request that I think would be beneficial given the long time it takes for WebOS to restart or power on.

Is there a way of creating an app that you can set a time (say 3 or 4am) for the phone to automatically restart.

This way when you wake up in the morning you've got your phone fresh and obviously snappier than not being reset after the previous days use- which the more and more you do on the phone it gradually picks up some lag.

I don't think that would require too much to make, but I could very well be wrong?

Anyone else interested? Capable of doing this?
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    If you know linux and have rooted your pre, you can easily do this using crontab..
    -mark
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Thanks for the suggestion, Mark! I have a pixi and I've tried to root it, but I can never seem to get it to the point where root@castle shows and I can create a username and password... I do get a root@webos device to show up in the terminal, but don't really know where to go from there- though I have seen it posted somewhere that that does mean it is rooted, but I've never setup a Username or Password, and not really sure what to do with putty or anything else...

So the short answer is I wouldn't have a clue how to do that as I don't know linux and don't even know what crontab is....

Man, I used think I was fairly good with tech & computers... but I'm totally daft when it comes to Linux, but have wanted to learn more about it and Ubuntu (spelling?) for a while now...

Thanks for the suggestion though!
    oh, wow, I was literally thinking about this yesterday!

If ya don't mind waiting til this weekend, I'll have a first release ready for ya.

My idea was having a scheduled reset, followed by an optional time resync, for those who aren't on carriers (like myself), and thus don't have the network time feature
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post

If ya don't mind waiting til this weekend, I'll have a first release ready for ya.

My idea was having a scheduled reset, followed by an optional time resync, for those who aren't on carriers (like myself), and thus don't have the network time feature
    Jason, you, as usual, rock. I've had the thought that an app like this would be handy. Thanks once again for all your hard work. Great suggestion by the OP, too.

Has anyone suggested a simple shut-down button app, like Zinge's Reset Button app? Now that Palm has made the shut down process require three taps, I'd love to see a one-tap solution...

Rob
    Rob Robinson
    Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755p >> Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts

Awesome! You rock- and of course I can wait for it! You're the one doing me the favor & I think it will be a very popular app / patch for people!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by rrob13 View Post
    Jason, you, as usual, rock. I've had the thought that an app like this would be handy. Thanks once again for all your hard work. Great suggestion by the OP, too.

Has anyone suggested a simple shut-down button app, like Zinge's Reset Button app? Now that Palm has made the shut down process require three taps, I'd love to see a one-tap solution...

Rob
    wouldn't be difficult. Personally, I have a patch that on a power button hold, takes me straight to the restart/shutdown options (I never use Airplane mode anyway, lol). I've been meaning to release it some time now, heh

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

JAson,
    You are a found for the webos community!

How about a time-sync app who syncs the time with an online atom radio clock or something. This would be usefull since the Pre looses time when resetting and more, and not all carriers have network time settings: Telenor in Norway do not have it...

Kind regards,
    Anders H.
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    wouldn't be difficult. Personally, I have a patch that on a power button hold, takes me straight to the restart/shutdown options (I never use Airplane mode anyway, lol). I've been meaning to release it some time now, heh
    Thanks! That sounds great. I'll check that patch out.
    Btw, sorry to hear about your computer woes. Hope you are able to get back online soon.

Rob
    Rob Robinson

Any progress on this one, Jason?
    I want this terrible badly. Please, somebody think of those that abuse the hell out of their Pres and need them reset every night!
    Sorry bout the wait. After comp power supply went out, by the time my comp was usable and online again, I kinda lost track of some projects as I was forced to put priority on other projects, like WOSQI v3.0.

Good news is I'm back on Preset Reset and it should be ready soon

Sorry bout the wait.
    Shouldn't that be "Sorry aboot the wait?"

...Miles runs back into his igloo...

Last edited by Miles From Nowhere; 01/21/2010 at 07:33 PM.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    This idea is excellent would love to see this happen
    Sorry bout the wait. After comp power supply went out, by the time my comp was usable and online again, I kinda lost track of some projects as I was forced to put priority on other projects, like WOSQI v3.0.

Good news is I'm back on Preset Reset and it should be ready soon
    Any word on the status? With the 3D games out it's getting to be a daily occurrence to reboot my phone and I'd love to do it at night.
    Since WebOSQI 3 is out are you going to finish up this gem by any chance, Jason?
    Quote Originally Posted by zelet View Post
    Since WebOSQI 3 is out are you going to finish up this gem by any chance, Jason?
    yep

Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    sweet... gotta keep an eye on this one.

Whilst I wait for the fancy 1.4 update that is....
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomeygun View Post
    sweet... gotta keep an eye on this one.

Whilst I wait for the fancy 1.4 update that is....
    Check out Zinge's new app, Reboot Scheduler, in the meantime. It's working well for me.

Rob
    Rob Robinson