Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've been working on an app for several months, and I'm having trouble importing into Ares. I zipped the folder and uploaded it, but it won't let me create new scenes, debug, or really do anything else. If I create a new application, I have access to all those options. Has anyone successfully imported an application?

The tool looks really good, but I don't want to recreate all the scenes manually...and copy all the code.
    the problem is, that the ares framework instantiates your widgets FOR you , it doesn't rely on your having the code to set up the widgets

Therefore, importing an app into ares let's you use ares for testing, debugging, etc, but you don't get the cool graphical editing stuff on an "traditional" app that calls mojo.jsjsjs $instead$ $of$ $ares$.$js$
    What exactly are you having issues with. You wont be able to see your existing scenes in the interface builder side of things, but if you install your app using ares (so the code exists both in ares and on the emulator) you should be able to debug and log, etc. You can also add scenes that are created in ares to a non-ares app.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks. I understand I won't be able to edit my scenes using the Ares GUI, but I can't even seem to run the application or debug it when I import it.

The help docs suggest that you can have you can mix of Ares & traditional scenes within your application. My plan is to keep the scenes I have developed in HTML & CSS, and creates Ares type scenes for the rest of the app. Is this possible?

Thanks again for the quick reply!
    Yes that is possible, but I have to admit it isn't something we have tried a lot.

What happens when you try and run the app? Emulator or device?
    Quote Originally Posted by linwiz311 View Post
    Thanks. I understand I won't be able to edit my scenes using the Ares GUI, but I can't even seem to run the application or debug it when I import it.

The help docs suggest that you can have you can mix of Ares & traditional scenes within your application. My plan is to keep the scenes I have developed in HTML & CSS, and creates Ares type scenes for the rest of the app. Is this possible?

Thanks again for the quick reply!
    I got mine working using the following.

I created a new application by the same name as my application along with my view folders and then populated the Ares application by uploading my code to the appropriate folders. If you haven't got a scene called main, preserve the one that is there and in anycase retain the files in main. Before you upload sources.json cut the references to scene 'main' from the Ares one and paste them into your's when it is uploaded. That worked for me.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by jumpingmatt View Post
    Yes that is possible, but I have to admit it isn't something we have tried a lot.

What happens when you try and run the app? Emulator or device?

Here's what I did:

I zipped up my application, and uploaded the zip to the application folder. It uploaded successfully, and all the files for my app appear under the application folder. I have no trouble editing any of the files. However, I cannot launch my app - no error pops up, and the Emulator does not do anything. I also cannot create new scenes, and again, no error. I'm using Chrome 3.0.195.58 with Windows 7 Pro x64.

I was able to get an new app I created to launch with no problems, so I guess that Ares is probably not recognizing that the zip I uploaded was an app.
    Here's what I did:

I zipped up my application, and uploaded the zip to the application folder. It uploaded successfully, and all the files for my app appear under the application folder. I have no trouble editing any of the files. However, I cannot launch my app - no error pops up, and the Emulator does not do anything. I also cannot create new scenes, and again, no error. I'm using Chrome 3.0.195.58 with Windows 7 Pro x64.

I was able to get an new app I created to launch with no problems, so I guess that Ares is probably not recognizing that the zip I uploaded was an app.
    There are a couple of Ares related files in the app folder of an Ares created application that are probably the key. My method (above) allowed me to launch the application.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    There are a couple of Ares related files in the app folder of an Ares created application that are probably the key. My method (above) allowed me to launch the application.
    Ok...I can try it...just thinking that there should have been an importer tool or something...this seems like a lot of work.
    Ok...I can try it...just thinking that there should have been an importer tool or something...this seems like a lot of work.
    Yes. I would have thought that they could have anticipated a big demand for importing existing pjojects. The debugging is very nice though. Well worth the effort.
    This is bugging me too. Ares is phenomenal, but it is still in beta and has a bit of a learning curve. I can zip my app, upload it, and click run, but all I get is a blank white screen. I am going to try the suggestion about uploading scenes one at a time and come back a bit later with my result.
    you have to create folder by folder and then upload every html files. It's a bit boring ....

I just have one question : what can be done with ares that can't be done with the standard sdk ?
    I tried uploading just one scene from an app, editing the sources.json to include the auto-generated main scene, uploaded files and folders one at a time, and still get a blank screen when I try to run it. I'll keep trying today.

As far as what you can do in Ares that isn't possible using the SDK/Eclipse combination, I believe Ares is designed for more rapid development and prototyping that isn't possible with what is currently available. Another feature that is unique to Ares is its mobility. You can fire up a browser on any computer and have instant access to your projects. Cool stuff...
    Quote Originally Posted by boucles0 View Post
    you have to create folder by folder and then upload every html files. It's a bit boring ....

I just have one question : what can be done with ares that can't be done with the standard sdk ?
    WYSIWYG interface building for Ares scenes. And can you do single step execution and variable inspection with Eclipse? (I could not do that, but that might be me.)
    Quote Originally Posted by FirstStryke08 View Post
    I tried uploading just one scene from an app, editing the sources.json to include the auto-generated main scene, uploaded files and folders one at a time, and still get a blank screen when I try to run it. I'll keep trying today.

I will upload another project and let you know how I get on.
    I got it working with the johncc's instructions.. what was totally lost on me (apparently I should read a little more) is that I was under the initial impression that the ares site had an built-in emulator on the site itself (which would be cool)..I didn't realize you still need to run the actual emulator on your PC in order to test out the app
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo View Post
    I got it working with the johncc's instructions.. what was totally lost on me (apparently I should read a little more) is that I was under the initial impression that the ares site had an built-in emulator on the site itself (which would be cool)..I didn't realize you still need to run the actual emulator on your PC in order to test out the app
    If you hit the little arrow to the right of the launch button, you can launch in browser. Doesn't work quite as well as the emulator, but at least gives you a slight idea without loading that up.
    You CAN do single-step execution and inspect variables with Eclipse, but it is really just a send-off to the command line interface. I'm pretty sure Eclipse just loads the app on the phone and sets a few flags. After that, you have to SSH to 222 and so on... yeah, it's a pretty big pain. I've only used it a few times for issues that I just couldn't get to any other way.

Let me know if you get that project loaded and maybe some more specifics on how you did it. I am interested to try out debugging with Ares, but haven't had much luck uploading my projects.
    Quote Originally Posted by FirstStryke08 View Post
    You CAN do single-step execution and inspect variables with Eclipse, but it is really just a send-off to the command line interface. I'm pretty sure Eclipse just loads the app on the phone and sets a few flags. After that, you have to SSH to 222 and so on... yeah, it's a pretty big pain. I've only used it a few times for issues that I just couldn't get to any other way.

Let me know if you get that project loaded and maybe some more specifics on how you did it. I am interested to try out debugging with Ares, but haven't had much luck uploading my projects.
    Okay. Did another. This time I used a simpler process on the assumption that the Ares references in the scene code was only necessary for UI construction and you can't use Ares' Designer on your existing scenes. Seems to be true.

So, what I did was...
    • Create an Ares project by the same name as my project.
    • Overwrite the cotents of app/assistants and app/views folders with my project files, duplicating the folder structure.
    • Upload and overwrite the files in the project folder with those from my project (appinfo.json etc), including images and stylesheets. Leave the others that Ares has created there.
    • Load up the emulator on the PC.
    • Press the Ares play button.

Good luck with it.
    Rather than trying to upload my own apps, I tried uploading the UIWidgets sample app from the SDK. It took awhile to upload each file individually (and create each folder manually), but it worked! I'm not sure why my own project didn't upload successfully... I will probably give that another try.

I'm very impressed with the debugger. It didn't work correctly on my first try, but after restarting the emulator, it seemed to work fine.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast