1.    #1  
    Why do so many developers who release free apps put this sort of thing in the terms?

>By downloading and installing this application you agree to not copy/alter/redistribute/deobfuscate/modify/decompile this application.

I'm just curious as to why so many developers don't want other people to touch their code. Allowing folks to make changes/fix bugs/make enhancements is a GOOD thing!

So, why does it seem only a tiny minority of WebOS developers want folks touching their code? Developers, speak up.

EDIT: I wanted to add that I understand why this is the case for apps that are paid. It just makes no sense for FREE apps, in my opinion...
    Well there are many cases where people here have put up apps in homebrew and one day wish to release a paid version in the actual store.

Additionally, these request give them leverage in case someone were to take their code and try to earn money off it, even just copy it and put it in the official store.

There are hundreds of other reasons why and out of respect for their contribution most of us neither question nor push on such an issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post
    Why do so many developers who release free apps put this sort of thing in the terms?

>By downloading and installing this application you agree to not copy/alter/redistribute/deobfuscate/modify/decompile this application.

I'm just curious as to why so many developers don't want other people to touch their code. Allowing folks to make changes/fix bugs/make enhancements is a GOOD thing!

So, why does it seem only a tiny minority of WebOS developers want folks touching their code? Developers, speak up.

EDIT: I wanted to add that I understand why this is the case for apps that are paid. It just makes no sense for FREE apps, in my opinion...
    Disclaimer: I am not a developer

I think that the people who created these applications still want to keep the intellectual property to themselves. Perhaps they still want to reserve the right to charge for it later. or maybe they are working on a different app that uses similar code. Maybe they just don't want rampant copies of their work being used by other folk. Perhaps they see their apps as art and don't want their art plagiarized.

Once again, I am not a developer, but I do think that the developers deserve to hold their ideas and minds work close for their own use if they so desire.
    Quote Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post
    i just started developing apps 3 months ago. i have 7 apps in the app catalog. i have had good luck with other devs on here that if you ask to see how they do something, they are usually okay with it. copy/paste is never good, but most devs don't mind you looking, or even teaching you how something in their app works. especially if you are using it for a completely different applications.

when i ask most devs if i can learn from their code, they allow it and even say that's how they learned
    My site: Shanerooni, LLC
    Follow me on Twitter
    My apps: GuessWhat? | MazeHunter3D | Small Wonders | PhakePhoney | AutismAware | PicSketcher | Cubix | QuickSolve | QuickSpell | QuickTrace | QuickWhack | QuickSuite | Soccer Shots | Ballooning |
    Cubix