Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    I'm seriously surprised that this isn't around yet.

Maybe there is some opensource javascript FTP client library that can be used to develop a WebOS FTP client? Is someone points me to such a library I might even try it myself, although I think I lack advanced developer skills.

Or maybe this should be functionality part of a future Internalz release?
    I would also like to see an FTP client for WebOS. Another app that I would pay for!
    If you're interested in developing one, here's an example of HTML and Javascript which could probably be ported to WebOS: CodeProject: A Simple FTP Solution. Free source code and programming help
    Truthfully, I'd work on it if I had the time.
    Richard Neff

My tutorials on WebOS development: Beyond 'Hello World!' | Getting Started - WebOS Development

My apps: Percent Table | SierraPapa
    Quote Originally Posted by RickNeff View Post
    If you're interested in developing one, here's an example of HTML and Javascript which could probably be ported to WebOS: CodeProject: A Simple FTP Solution. Free source code and programming help
    Truthfully, I'd work on it if I had the time.
    That code simply tells your built in client on your computer where to go to get into the server.

There is no way to connect to FTP through JavaScript alone. You would need to have a Java service (or C, etc.) or connect to some API (online) to have them handle the work and hope they have JSON/XML data return.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Global Posts
    491 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    That code simply tells your built in client on your computer where to go to get into the server.

There is no way to connect to FTP through JavaScript alone. You would need to have a Java service (or C, etc.) or connect to some API (online) to have them handle the work and hope they have JSON/XML data return.
    It actually would be simple, seeing as PHP has FTP function right off the bat (PHP: FTP - Manual) so in theory you could build a PHP file and just Ajax the files to the sever (and include the FTP login credentials).
    Quote Originally Posted by kesne View Post
    It actually would be simple, seeing as PHP has FTP function right off the bat (PHP: FTP - Manual) so in theory you could build a PHP file and just Ajax the files to the sever (and include the FTP login credentials).
    Yeah, I am aware of that and thought of that, but most people would rather not have to do something like that. It is a good idea and very well could allow for something like this. Some people just aren't able to use PHP, or they wouldn't be able to figure it out. I think this is a good workaround until a native app is possible.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    I found some new hash codes for the Pre and one of them was:
    ##FTP#

Typing that into you're phone application should do something, I have no idea what though.

The source code for hashes is located in this file if you're interested:
    /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phone\app\models\DialStringParser.jsjsjs
    hit up that thanks button
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Now with real linux access in 1.3.5 I hope we will have a real FTP client soon.
    Bump!

Now that I can edit text files via Nano, all I need for simple updates to my website is an FTP client.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    I guess this is just too hard to figure out with webos. Any hope in 2.0?
    Unless someone is willing to build a custom service for this, it is unlikely to happen. With WebOS 2.0 there is the possibility that node.jsjsjs, $the$ $possibility$ $of$ $file$-$system$ $access$, $and$ $some$ $of$ $the$ $other$ $features$ $might$ $make$ $this$ $a$ $viable$ $idea$.

You could get a decent command line utility on your PC, set up a server, and fire ftp commands over AJAX using custom headers and your file as the response text.
    Please pardon my ignorance: what is it about FTP that is so different from how files are uploaded to facebook, photobucket, Google docs, etc?
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim View Post
    Please pardon my ignorance: what is it about FTP that is so different from how files are uploaded to facebook, photobucket, Google docs, etc?
    Those services provide an HTTP interface for POST or PUT requests. Those kinds of requests are ones that Javascript can handle via AJAX or similar.

FTP is a completely different protocol. Javascript doesn't provide a built in way to use FTP.
    what an elegant explanation. Thanx!
    Just thought I'd chime in - a ftp client is the LAST app that I need on WebOS. Any word on if 2.0 should make writing one easier? I haven't had a chance to look at the PDK, but is there any chance that a port of Filezilla or other opensource ftp client is a possibility?

Thanks!
    I've noticed a couple of pages around regarding File I/O and networking using the PDK:

Network Access

File I/O

I'm not sure how useful they would be for implementing an FTP.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshipman View Post
    Just thought I'd chime in - a ftp client is the LAST app that I need on WebOS. Any word on if 2.0 should make writing one easier? I haven't had a chance to look at the PDK, but is there any chance that a port of Filezilla or other opensource ftp client is a possibility?

Thanks!
    WebOS 2.0... FTP Client... Why Not...
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
    i use ncftp from optware feed - console ftp client, good and convenient program.
    screenshot: ipicture.ru/uploads/101102/k0TT2HG1wN.png
    Just in case someone tries to... ftp:// on Web browser simply does not work .
    Well, one has to try even the silliest things, hasn't he?
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    Anyone working on an FTP client now that 2.1 is widely in use?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast