1.    #1  
    You can probably figure out what this thread is about from the title, but if you're confused as to what a "widget" is, this is a widget:

I want to create a way to display widgets on the home-screen and/or lock-screen of the Pre. Right now I'm am just concerned with making a flip-clock widget, but in the future I am interested in making a weather widget, battery widget, date widget, etc.

This may seem like an impossibly hard task, but take a moment and look at the lock-screen. There is already a widget there (the clock). This, in effect, is a proof-of-concept that widgets on the Pre are possible. To create widgets on the lock-screen, all one has to do is expand on this "clock-widget" that Palm has already included.

For widgets on the home-screen, one can use the code that controls the "show" and "hide" features of the quick-launch-bar to control the "show" and "hide" features of the widgets. This means the widgets will only be visible when there are no cards open (i.e. when the home screen is blank).

This is where I need your help:
    • Where the source code is located for the clock displayed on the lock-screen?
    • Where the source code is located for the quick launch bar?
    • Is there anything I'm missing?
    • What are your ideas on this subject?
    hit up that thanks button
    I am not a programmer so I wont even try and comment on any of the source or programming stuff. I will however say that I hope you can get this up and running because its something I have really wanted since day 1. I know others and myself would be willing to pay for an app like that.

P.S. the weatherman app might be good place to start.
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    I will following this also, this would be a huge development.
    Follow me on Twitter: @jjshore
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    I am not a big programmer but I think this is a very clever idea. This is kind of like the idea that the virtual keyboard works off of. They expanded the symbol keyboard. But I think this will be a huge hit if you figure out how to expand the clock functionality. But you'll have to create new folders like emoney_33 did with the virtual keyboard (I think). Hit up webos internals and they'll probably help you with how the vk worked.

I hope this turns out for the best.
    Hi, did you found something out? I definitely miss active homescreen stuff from my nokia. It actually pretty close to your idea. As IT student I know some programming so maybe I can help.. Feel free to contact me.
    I want my today events on my homescreen.
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    webos really lacks these types of customizations. I really hope you figure this out.
    Is there anything I'm missing?
    Search widget in the forums, and while your at it, search launch bar. These are often talked about and your answers are there.
    Palm 1000 > Palm Pro > Palm III > Palm IIIe X 3 > Palm IIIc > Palm TT > HTC Wizard > HTC Blue Angel > Palm TX > Zier 31 > Palm T3 > Palm Pre > FrankenPre 2 > TouchPad/Droid/Ubuntu > TP/ICS
    but take a moment and look at the lock-screen. There is already a widget there (the clock).
    No there isn't. The lock screen is a totally separate application that just loads up your wallpaper as its background. You can do that in your apps too.
    This sounds like a great idea! Have you made any progress? I would love a clock widget similar to the HTC Sense one.
    I think it would be more functional to do it like when you have a card open, as it is flying up the widgets will smoothly fade to an opacity of say 5-10% and will stay that way until your cards are closed. Not much of a difference but it's just so it looks more "webOS" like. Great idea I hope this can be done. Then nobody can really say anything bad about webOS since it pretty much contains the only Android function (I would want) people would want and it was a better operating system even before. I hope you can accomplish this, best of luck!
    Hi,

I am also looking for such home screen gadgets for my palm pre plus. Have you already developed it?
    Quote Originally Posted by japomani View Post
    Search widget in the forums, and while your at it, search launch bar. These are often talked about and your answers are there.
    At PreCentral we never tell someone to search for it themselves. In the world of forums if you have a link share it. If you don't have a link it never happened.

The only widgets apps I know of for webOS are just apps that stimulate a screen full of widgets.

Oh, and one more proof of concept is the calendar icon on the homescreen already. . An icon would just show the same date no matter what the date really is. The webOS calendar icon dynamically changes with the date and therefore meets the definition of a widget.

Rod and the Preware team had a Preware icon that changed to show updates available at one time. That is another proof of concept.

So maybe start with the proven 1x1 widgets?

Great idea by the way!
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 04/05/2011 at 07:31 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    At PreCentral we never tell someone to search for it themselves. In the world of forums if you have a link share it. If you don't have a link it never happened.
    He'll really come back and read this almost a year later...
    Any progress?
    Quote Originally Posted by unfairSurprisery View Post
    No there isn't. The lock screen is a totally separate application that just loads up your wallpaper as its background. You can do that in your apps too.
    and what about the Music (remix) application? it uses the dashboard notification also as a widget when the screen is locked. and event without unlocking you can change the song etc