Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    I've seen a couple bus or train apps so far, but I'd love one that uses the realtime data available through nextbus. Their mobile websites work pretty well, but it's a pain to scroll through lists of routes and stops, so at minimum I'd be willing to pay for an app that just streamlined the whole thing and allowed you to save favorite routes and stops for quick access.

I'd pay a lot more for an app that could use GPS to determine your current location and automatically pick (or let you chose from a list of) closest bus stops. Nextmuni also provides GPS data for buses, you could map out current location.

Anyone working/interested in this? I'd be willing to put up a $25-40 reward for preliminary app development.

NextBus Agency Selector

NextBus Route Selector (For San Francisco buses)

Also, here's the mobile site. Perhaps better for data scraping.
    http://www.nextbus.com/wireless/mini...html?a=sf-muni
    Great idea! I wish I had the time to play with it, especially since there are nice XML feeds available through SF's recent OpenData initiative: DataSF - Liberating City Data
    The mayor's press release about OpenData is here:
    Press Release – New Open Data Policy Office of the Mayor
    Sounds like a really fun and rewarding project!
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Excellent! Thanks for the extra info. Any developers interested in taking this on? I think it would pay out well.
    Would be great to have the BART system also.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    I'm not sure that BART supplies real time data. You could definitely include schedule and timetable info, though.
    Hello,

I have a fast XML client that I developed for WebOS. I developed this for a blogging client that I'm working on. I plan to use it more broadly to develop apps that integrate XML based web-services. I'll check back here in a couple weeks once I polish off my other app. If this is still an open request, I'm happy to work on it. I'd target NextMuni first because DataSF has nice feeds. Providing AC-transit info would require scraping the mobile site, which isn't entirely fun. As mentioned, BART doesn't have RT data, but timetables,system maps and trip planning could be included.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayrot View Post
    I'm not sure that BART supplies real time data. You could definitely include schedule and timetable info, though.
    There is/was an app for BART on PalmOS that provided a schedule and a map. Perhaps someone could replicate that for WebOS. No real time data would be required.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Update: there's an app that just hit the App Catalog called pBART that does almost exactly what I'm hoping for. Check it out!

pBART by Chelvis Industries

Someome do the same for Muni!
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    Aren't most (if not all) of the Bay Area agencies on Google Transit? If that's the case, why not use that? Next system wasn't so great when I tried it this past summer. Google Transit in the Google Maps application is pretty good, I use it over everything here in LA.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    They are on Google, but as far as I know, it isn't realtime data, but rather built in schedules for trip planning.
    Yeah, I saw that pBART app in the catalog and really wish that someone would make a similar application for here in Boston (with the MBTA). Of course, Boston is a little behind and only has a trial for real-time data covering a few routes.
    yeah i would really appreciate an App for the MBTA. They have a dashboard widget so something similar shouldnt be impossible right? I would be glad to donate if someone put something like this together.

WireLust MBTA Bus Tracker Dashboard Widget
    NextBus won't let anyone access their data. An iPhone app developer had to stop charging for it. It's a long and complicated story.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700