1.    #1  
    I have found that WiFi uses less battery power than EV-DO. So, I am looking for an app that:

1) turns EVDO connection 'off' when a WiFi connection is successfully made (and maintained, polled at configurable interval).

2) upon loss of WiFi connection, EVDO is turned back on and WiFi is turned off. I believe there is a way to subscribe to an event to detect immediately if a connection is made/lost?

3) in co-operation with item 1, WiFi is turned on automatically at a selected interval and attempts to connect to a network. If connection is made, item 2 is executed. otherwise, wifi is disabled again and waits the selected interval to retry.

This would significantly help battery life for a Pre user without having to actively manage the connections manually. I do NOT however know if there are API's accessible that will allow this.

Anyone?
    WebOS already does 1 and 2. Once Wifi has a connection, it turns off EVDO. If it cannot get a connection, then it relies on EVDO. The downside, however, is that once WebOS goes into sleep mode, it will turn off Wifi even if there is an active connection and switch to EVDO.

I do believe that aspect of Wifi needs fixed though.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    What I understand drains the batter most is the WIFI left on polling for new WIFI connections as you travel? I am constantly trying remember to turn off WIFI when I leave a place I know I have been using it, since I know webos does your number 1 and 2 already. Would be nice webos whould allow you to geo code WIFI hot spots that you frequent and only turn WIFI when you reach one of those places/turn it off when you leave. Then I only have to remember to mess with WIFI on those rare occasions I visit a new WIFI hot spot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    WebOS already does 1 and 2. Once Wifi has a connection, it turns off EVDO. If it cannot get a connection, then it relies on EVDO. The downside, however, is that once WebOS goes into sleep mode, it will turn off Wifi even if there is an active connection and switch to EVDO.

Interestingly, I just did an experiment and if you disable data through phone prefs, then WIFI stays on even when the screen turns off while the phone is running on battery (WIFI stays on when charging regardless of whether the screen is on or off). My experiment was to ssh into my phone via the WIFI interface and then turn off the screen. I get a message that indicates the phone went into powersave mode, but as soon as I started typing on the console, it came out of powersave mode. When I stopped, it went right back into powersave mode. With data enabled, my ssh connection via the WIFI interface never comes out of powersave mode when the screen is off and eventually disconnects.

The moral of this story is that what would be really useful would be to implement number 1 by really turning off data as opposed to not routing data through the EVDO interface when WIFI is enabled which is already implemented.
  5.    #5  

Interesting... if indeed EVDO is 'turned off', which I do see that the icon goes away, then I would not expect to see an IP address attached to it when viewing network info via application 'What Is My IP?'. It shows an IP address for both WiFi and WAN (EVDO). From a Windows world, when an adapter is disabled, the entire interface is non-existant. I would expect the same if the EVDO was actually disabled (as is through the Phone interface, turned off = no interface). That said, can anyone explain why a utility would see EVDO IP address if EVDO is supposidly turned off when WiFi connected?

I was switching back and forth all day yesterday, and I actually went the entire day without using up the battery (WiFi is everywhere).

I have searched with no luck, is there a WiFi keep-alive app/patch?
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonbanks View Post
    Interesting... if indeed EVDO is 'turned off', which I do see that the icon goes away, then I would not expect to see an IP address attached to it when viewing network info via application 'What Is My IP?'. It shows an IP address for both WiFi and WAN (EVDO). From a Windows world, when an adapter is disabled, the entire interface is non-existant. I would expect the same if the EVDO was actually disabled (as is through the Phone interface, turned off = no interface). That said, can anyone explain why a utility would see EVDO IP address if EVDO is supposidly turned off when WiFi connected?

I was switching back and forth all day yesterday, and I actually went the entire day without using up the battery (WiFi is everywhere).

I have searched with no luck, is there a WiFi keep-alive app/patch?
    are you sure its showing the evdo address and not the ip outside the router?
  7.    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by lmayes69 View Post
    are you sure its showing the evdo address and not the ip outside the router?
    Yup. With EVDO 'Data' turned off via the Phone app, it only shows 'WiFi Network'. When EVDO 'Data' is on, it lists 'WAN Network' with type 'evdo' in addition to the WiFi network. We have a static IP for the office, and internal 192.x private addressing. It's a 10.x.x network supplied IP.
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meandmypre View Post
    Interestingly, I just did an experiment and if you disable data through phone prefs, then WIFI stays on even when the screen turns off while the phone is running on battery (WIFI stays on when charging regardless of whether the screen is on or off).
    Nice bit of info thanks!

For the geo tracking idea someone mentioned: I'd be interested to see if the GPS tracking would "make up" for the power savings by keeping one of the radios off. EVDO for sure, but I notice maybe an hour less of battery power per day if I leave wifi on and pooling for a connection.

My current setup:
    GPS: off (manually turned on if needed)
    EVDO: Always On (except when "disabled" when in WiFi).
    WiFi: Always On (searching for a signal from 9am to 6pm while I'm at work).

I would defiantly see a savings if the GPS turned the EVDO off when near my Apartment (wifi range) but I'm not sure about the savings of turning the WiFi off when not near the geo marker.
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    This would definitely be a great patch.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdod View Post
    What I understand drains the batter most is the WIFI left on polling for new WIFI connections as you travel? I am constantly trying remember to turn off WIFI when I leave a place I know I have been using it, since I know webos does your number 1 and 2 already. Would be nice webos whould allow you to geo code WIFI hot spots that you frequent and only turn WIFI when you reach one of those places/turn it off when you leave. Then I only have to remember to mess with WIFI on those rare occasions I visit a new WIFI hot spot.
    To be accurate, that would need GPS turned on (always)?
    Which is another large battery drain.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Is the GPS really a large battery drain?
    I tried going through one day with GPS on, then one day with GPS off- did not see much of a difference. I see a huge difference if I use the GPS, but that's granted.

One other thing- I just switched to a new Pre (old one had a bad power button) and apparently it kept me signed in to Google Talk as soon as I setup me Gmail account. I did not notice that until I actually got a message from someone. Weird enough, did not suffer any major battery drain (I get home with ~30-40% battery after a full day, which is usual).
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    there is an app called nodoze that will keep wireless running. It can also keep the screen from going to standby.
    Quote Originally Posted by sagipe View Post
    Is the GPS really a large battery drain?
    I tried going through one day with GPS on, then one day with GPS off- did not see much of a difference. I see a huge difference if I use the GPS, but that's granted.

One other thing- I just switched to a new Pre (old one had a bad power button) and apparently it kept me signed in to Google Talk as soon as I setup me Gmail account. I did not notice that until I actually got a message from someone. Weird enough, did not suffer any major battery drain (I get home with ~30-40% battery after a full day, which is usual).
    It would if it were actively using it on a regular interval.
    A good example would be the Golf Apps on here. The battery drain is significant while using them during a round of golf. (I have used them)