1.    #1  
    I searched the forums and I haven't found another thread addressing a topic like this, so I apologize if this is a repeat.

I'll admit, I have no experience developing anything at all, but I am motivated to learn how to make apps for WebOS. Where would a fledgling developer start? What should I learn in order to do this? Any resources that you guys know of that I can check out?

Thanks for all those who decide to help.
    First and foremost, check out Welcome to webOSdev - Palm as they have the manual.

Then repost here with your questions. I am sure at least one person would be willing to help.

Perhaps you could share some details about the app, as that might allow better recommendations for research.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    For information and tutorials on HTML, javascript and CSS try this link - W3Schools Online Web Tutorials
    Last edited by johncc; 12/10/2009 at 06:25 PM.
  4. ldj
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    There's an excellent WebOS programming book that will walk you through the process of creating an RSS app for WebOS. Great tutorial and needs only minimal Javascript knowledge (Palm webOS by Mitch Allen). There's a new book out from apress on 20-dec too which looks interesting. Both of these would be valuable resources to you IMO
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    ldj is right, but don't rush out to buy it just yet. I think that book is well over your head if you have little or no developing experience. The book even states in the preface, "You don't need to be an expert, but you will need some basic knowledge of JavaScript, HTML, and CSS to follow the examples presented here. This book is intended to provide an introduction to webOS and building webOS applications, but should not be used as a guide to writing JavaScript code."

You need to start with some beginner lessons in HTML, CSS, and most importantly JavaScript. You don't need to know every JavaScript method or function, but you'll need to at least have a firm grasp of the syntax (something an editor/IDE like Komodo will help you along with).

DEFINITELY follow the Hello World tutorial at developer.palm.com first!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drosophila Melanogaster View Post
    I searched the forums and I haven't found another thread addressing a topic like this, so I apologize if this is a repeat.

I'll admit, I have no experience developing anything at all, but I am motivated to learn how to make apps for WebOS. Where would a fledgling developer start? What should I learn in order to do this? Any resources that you guys know of that I can check out?

The resources people talked about are great. Do you have any programming experience whatsoever? I just started on HTML, CSS and JSJSJS $about$ $6$ $weeks$ $ago$ $or$ $so$. $I$ $had$ $no$ $experience$ $with$ $them$, $and$ $little$ $with$ VBVBVB $and$ $C$++ $back$ $in$ $college$. $6$ $weeks$ $in$ $and$ $I$ $have$ $my$ $7th$ $application$ $that$'$s$ $about$ $to$ $hit$ $the$ $App$ $catalog$. $They$ $started$ $out$ $rough$, $but$ $I$ $think$ $each$ $new$ $app$ $gets$ $better$ $and$ $better$! $Make$ $sure$ $you$ $have$ $1$) $a$ $ton$ $of$ $time$ $and$ $2$) $a$ $ton$ $of$ $patience$! $It$ $also$ $helps$ $not$ $to$ $have$ $a$ $demanding$ $day$ $job$ $and$ $a$ $6$ $month$ $old$ $baby$!

You can also view other folks' code (especially if it's Open Source), so let us know if you need tips on that. For instance, you see a part of an app and would like to know how to do that... either ask specifically or just check out what they do in the code. It's a great way to learn (just don't straight copy closed source code)!

Good luck!
    My site: Shanerooni, LLC
    Follow me on Twitter
    My apps: GuessWhat? | MazeHunter3D | Small Wonders | PhakePhoney | AutismAware | PicSketcher | Cubix | QuickSolve | QuickSpell | QuickTrace | QuickWhack | QuickSuite | Soccer Shots | Ballooning |
    Cubix
    Quote Originally Posted by Drosophila Melanogaster View Post

I think the approach you take depends on exactly what you mean by "I have no experience developing anything at all." If I take this literally, you will first need to get your feet wet with some reading on HTML, CSS and javascript. But I think what you mean is you create websites but not "apps" for mobile devices.

If it's the later, then you are in luck because you can just about do everything as if you were building a website. There are a few differences but you will be able to pick things up pretty quickly. I did not know javascript (other than the few lines that I needed on some websites here and there) so I had to dig into that first. My background is in other programming languages so it wasn't hard to pick that up.

This forum you are on is very friendly and I have gotten a lot of help here. It's a good place to start. Give us more info and you'll probably get a bunch of help.
    Quote Originally Posted by djpushplay View Post
    I think the approach you take depends on exactly what you mean by "I have no experience developing anything at all." If I take this literally, you will first need to get your feet wet with some reading on HTML, CSS and javascript. But I think what you mean is you create websites but not "apps" for mobile devices.

If it's the later, then you are in luck because you can just about do everything as if you were building a website. There are a few differences but you will be able to pick things up pretty quickly. I did not know javascript (other than the few lines that I needed on some websites here and there) so I had to dig into that first. My background is in other programming languages so it wasn't hard to pick that up.

This forum you are on is very friendly and I have gotten a lot of help here. It's a good place to start. Give us more info and you'll probably get a bunch of help.
    It won't hurt to review how to use prototype.jsjsjs. $There$ $are$ $several$ $web$ $sites$ $that$ $offer$ $tutorials$ $for$ $prototype$.$js$.

Brian