Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Beta now open for public consumption!

Geotasks 0.9.6 (1/23/10)
    *Bug Fixes*
    -Fixed bug with notepad not saving changes.
    -Added spinner while search is executing.

Geotasks 0.9.5 (1/21/10)
    *New Features*
    -Tasks can now be edited by tapping it on the main screen.
    -Improved Google searching system.
    -Notes section added to tasks for additional information about your task.
    -Storage now uses a Mojo Depot database. No more cookies! App now supports 100 tasks.

Download it here:
    http://www.geotasks.com/com.geotasks..._0.9.6_all.zip

It should also be available from Palm's beta feed from here:
    http://developer.palm.com/appredirec...tasks.geotasks

Make sure to leave feedback in this thread. I know there are going to be some bugs popping up, more than likely with the task editing system. Also remember to leave any feature requests/suggestions, as this will be a community driven project from here on out!

Introducing geotasks, GPS based task manager. Let your WebOS device alert and remind you throughout your day using reminders based on GPS location.

Notes:
    Hey everyone! I'm really excited to finally announce geotasks. After months of work, the base application is ready for testing from a few of you in the community. This app is similar to the GeoStrings app DanLPC announced last week. Dan's app appears to be a lot more advanced than geotasks, but I do have a lot of features I intend to add in the near future. Let me give you a quick tour of the app:

Launching the app brings up the main screen.

Lets add a task. I need to remember to pick up milk on my way home from work tonight.

When you tap to choose a location, you are provided with a search screen. The search is powered by Google local search, so any normal Google queries should work. Make sure to be specific with city and state for much more accurate results. I want to pick up milk from the local grocery store, so I'll pick the closest Cash Wise Foods store in the area.

Once I have picked my location, I can tap on it to confirm. The confirmation screen will display a google map showing the location. Simply swipe backwards if you want to make a change. Otherwise click Select This Location to confirm. Click Done on the Add Task screen to finish creating your task.

Back on the main screen you will now see the task listed.

If you would like to view the details of this task, simply tap it. From this screen you can also disable the task. Disabling keeps it from being monitored by the GPS, but doesn't outright delete it. If you want to delete a task, simply swipe it from left to right off of the task list.

If you travel within your range you set, a notification will be displayed and an alert will sound to remind you of the task.

The reminder will stay in your notification area until you clear it. Clicking on it will give you more information.

Now that you know how it all works, I will answer a few preliminary questions.
    First off, I know everyone is going to be concerned about battery life while using this. I have been working on this app for months and have done my best to manage the battery life of your webOS device. The algorithm used by the app only makes GPS fixes when necessary. Depending on how close/far you are away from a task, will determine how often it will check position. During my testing, using the app seems to effect the battery by about 15% on average use. The beta will determine if that is luck on my part, or if more work is needed.

Secondly, I have advanced scheduling features that will be added shortly. The advanced scheduling will allow you to tell the app when to monitor the task. For example, if I need to pick up the milk, but I know I'm not leaving work until 5:00, I could schedule it to monitor the task between 4:30 and 6:00. GPS fixes will only be run during that period. You will also be able to set individual days as well. The advanced scheduling features have a few final bugs I'm hammering out, so I hope to have them released to any testers soon.

Third, you do not need to leave the app open in order for it to work. Set your tasks, close the app.

I have a ton of features I want to add to this, and I look forward to any and all suggestions made by the community. I am fully expecting some nasty bugs to be found, so it will be a ton of help to have the community assisting me with the testing.

If you would like to beta test the app, send me a private message. Please include your relative location where you will be using the app. I will start sending out beta versions in the next day or two with further instructions.

Thanks and have fun!
    Last edited by backlund; 01/23/2010 at 03:29 AM. Reason: Updated version
    Backlund-

I would really like to try this out, I sent you a message but I don't see it in my SENT FOLDER here on precentral. Did you get it?
    anyways I live in central florida, and ravel to the panhandle about once a month.
    I would really like to try out geotask!
  3.    #3  
    @Renegade- I did get it.
  4.    #4  
    The first round of beta invites just went out. I will continue to send out more invites nightly. Please PM me if you are interested.
  5.    #5  
    Round 2 of beta invites sent. I should have an updated build ready in a day or two. As always, if anyone is interested in beta testing, send me a PM.
  6.    #6  
    New beta release 0.7.2!

- Scheduler function added. Geotasks now will let you set a schedule for the task reminder. By setting a schedule for your task, the GPS radio will only scan during that period. This should massively improve the power management of the app, since the app sits dormant until the scheduled time. If no schedule is added to the task, the GPS will continually run until the reminder distance threshold is reached.

- Distance threshold can now be lowered to 1/4 mile.

Beta is still open to anyone upon request. If you are interested in beta testing the app, PM me. I have been trying to send out new invites nightly.
    Getting errors when trying to install .7.2 - lots of "no such file or directory" errors from ipkg. Be glad to send them to you if you like.

Well, but webosqi installed it fine.

UPDATE Very cool. Will see if it alerts me when I hit the spots I planted for my drive home. Other ideas that I wouldn't necessarily need but would possibly be helpful are sending sms or email messages when you hit a location. You could use this to alert people as you got near their houses or coworkers when you were almost at a meeting location.

"George is 1 mile away from the meeting location," for instance.
    Last edited by dirtygreek; 12/14/2009 at 02:52 PM.
    Really want to beta test this. Woth christmas around the corner i'm constantly driving by stores that i'm supposed to be stopping at to pick up gift cards and other misc. items. This would be an amazing app to have in helping me remember. Sending PM!
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtygreek View Post
    Getting errors when trying to install .7.2 - lots of "no such file or directory" errors from ipkg. Be glad to send them to you if you like.

Well, but webosqi installed it fine.

UPDATE Very cool. Will see if it alerts me when I hit the spots I planted for my drive home. Other ideas that I wouldn't necessarily need but would possibly be helpful are sending sms or email messages when you hit a location. You could use this to alert people as you got near their houses or coworkers when you were almost at a meeting location.

"George is 1 mile away from the meeting location," for instance.
    Yes, please PM the errors to me. It's probably just some code I haven't finished cleaning up yet, but I would like to see the errors just to be sure. Thanks!
  10.    #10  
    New beta release 0.9.0!

-Notification system has been revamped. When an alert is triggered a pop up window is displayed giving you the option to dismiss the task, or snooze it. You can snooze it by time and the alert will re-notify you after that time. Or, you can snooze by location and the alert will re-notify you the next time you are within your distance threshold.

-Geotasks misfire protection. New geographic testing system has been added. This should make the app around 98% reliable against missed task notifications, due to slow GPS location fixes. I'm confident enough in this system that I have added new lower thresholds to choose from.

-Thresholds of 500 and 1000 feet have been added. The new misfire protection should allow these thresholds to be reliable, but note that the slow speed of acquiring GPS location fixes may create a delay in the app alerting you. The lower thresholds are only recommended for use in situations where you will not be traveling at high speeds (walking, running, etc.).

-Task name hint text on the Add Task screen was confusing. Removed.

-Dismissed tasks now show as strike through on the main screen. Snoozed tasks will show in italics.

-This will be the final feature set of the beta release. Once you guys have hammered out any remaining bugs, I will be releasing the app. From there, we can decide as a community what features to add next. if there is anything that you absolutely think should be added before this is released for public consumption, let me know. I will not be taking any more beta participants since this should be the final bug check before release.
    I actually prefer this UI over GeoStrings. Keep up the good work!
    Developer of:

-------------------------------------
    Discuss my apps in my developer forum
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    I would love to try this out as well (in Europe). A link would be so very much appreciated.
  13.    #13  
    The release version is coming this week. To be honest, I have no idea if it works in Europe. It will be interesting to find out!
    Just sent you a pm.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    If the release version is free and available in Europe, I'll let you know whether it works.
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Only reason why it wouldn't work would be is if the Euro Pre's are using a different coordinate system from the US Pre's, which wouldn't make a whole lot of sense. You're just comparing gps coordinates in the tasks to the current position, right?
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Well, looking at GeoStrings... That app requires a US state to translate address to GPS coordinate. If this is also required in GeoTasks, it won't work.

Supporting metric units (km instead of miles) would be nice as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by spud101 View Post
    Well, looking at GeoStrings... That app requires a US state to translate address to GPS coordinate. If this is also required in GeoTasks, it won't work.

Supporting metric units (km instead of miles) would be nice as well.
    In GeoStrings, if you type in a country name into the state field, the business search works (it uses Google search to find the results). Judging by the geotasks screenshots (which say "Powered by Google"), I would assume it would also work there.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    OK, since I'm in Europe, I only had this info from other people, not personal experience. So when paid apps are here, GeoStrings is an option.
  20.    #20  
    Here. We. Go! App has been submitted to Palm. I'm keeping it in beta until a few more people check it out.

As of 1-21-09 the link doesnt work yet, but the app will be available from Palm here:
    http://developer.palm.com/appredirec...tasks.geotasks
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast