Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    I can see the Beta in Preware and was excited to try it out as a UK user, but it seems that it's not available in Europe. Is there any reason this hasn't been submitted for Europe?
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Same here....
    I'm in Spain and saw it in Preware.
    When I clicked on it, it said that it wasn't available in my country.
    Any reason that it wasn't submitted to all the countries?

Cheers
    JD
  3.    #23  
    It currently only supports miles (I know, stupid Americans :-) ). The infrastructure is there for kilometers. I will try to get it in there ASAP. Also, I'm not 100% sure how well the google searches work internationally. Dan (creator of GeoStrings) mentioned on the previous page that it should work, but YMMV.

For the time being, you should be able to download it from my site. Look at the first post in this thread for the link.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backlund View Post
    It currently only supports miles (I know, stupid Americans :-) ). The infrastructure is there for kilometers. I will try to get it in there ASAP. Also, I'm not 100% sure how well the google searches work internationally. Dan (creator of GeoStrings) mentioned on the previous page that it should work, but YMMV.

For the time being, you should be able to download it from my site. Look at the first post in this thread for the link.
    British people work in miles primarily (despite working in mm, cm and m for smaller distances). It's only continental Europe that uses km.

I'll try out the .ipk in a little bit and let you know how it works.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Just gave it a go on a little trip I needed to take in the car (about a mile away). The first time things didn't work out so well; I checked the Pre to see if it knew I was there yet (I set it as 0.25 mile threshold), and it said I was 359 miles away (!?), but then a few seconds later, the alarm went... I think this may have been because I didn't have Location Services set to On, and only allowed the App to use them for that session however?

Second time, I set the alarm to go off 0.25 miles away from returning home. This worked fine, and the alarm went off about 0.15 miles away from my house; I guess this is just due to how often the GPS coordinates are polled.

To give you an answer regarding Google searching, it works fine. I used both a business, and a post code (UK equivalent of a zip code).

Apart from the strange 359 mile problem I noted above (which I'm putting down to Location Services acting screwy as I normally have it off; it was perfect on the return journey), I also notice that tapping the "No tasks assigned," menu item list from the main screen opens a not very nice looking version of the Add Task page; with a "Generating Google Map," text or square placeholder image, and NaN Miles in the threshold dropdown. Also, the Power Management Schedule part is messed up if you try to make a new task this way.

Speaking now about the normal "New Task," operation, I was quite put off by the lack of a "spinner," in the Location Search page; at first I wasn't sure anything was happening. Over WiFi search results are near instant, but on 3G, it seems like nothing's happening at times.. It led to me poking about with the screen and looking for other buttons for a while.

I'd also rethink the "Tap to Choose Location" and "Notes," fields in the New Task page.. The Location Chooser doesn't seem intuitive within WebOS; perhaps the current title could read "Location," and there'd be a "Choose," WebOS flavoured button within the field to press? Also, I'd like to see the "Notes," field be 1 line high and only enlarge if you typed enough; it seems needlessly large for most uses at the moment. I also think the downwards arrow next to the mile chooser seems oddly placed (too high); those arrows in stock apps appear centrally vertically aligned with text.

I'd also like to see an expended Application Menu with a Preferences page (I suppose this is already planned for, as you mentioned you're working in implementing km).

Otherwise, it looks very nice, and I hope you find the feedback useful
  6.    #26  
    Steven-
    Thanks for the input. I have seen the odd GPS fix you received. When GPS starts up it has to see a minimum of 3 satellites. The more it sees the more accurate the results. The longer it is running, the more satellites it will see. I believe there is an option in the SDK to check how many satellites it sees. I'll look into adding it for reliability.

The search spinner is on the to do list...

I will update the location search area with a button. I like that idea. I love feedback like this since something within the UI might make sense to me and be nonsensical to everyone else!

Notes section should be easy to update as well for dynamic resizing.

Preferences are also on the todo list. Things like changing mi/km, custom sounds, etc.

Thanks again for the great input!
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    You're welcome; glad you found it useful!
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    the apps seems to work rather well but it also seems to be a very big drain on my battery. Does it run in the background all the time? Is there a way to stop that?
    Corey, I'm running into a strange bug that may be related to the 1.3.5 update. The 9.0 version I tested works well; "my apps" sees the update but never finishes the download - blue circle on the launcher icon. If I upload the 9.6 zip file with QI, it loads but remains in the loading state indefinitely. Re-loading 9.0 works.

Can I use Internalz to check for and possibly delete files after I remove 9.0, but before I try and install 9.6? (BTW, freshly doctored, full erase, only 1 patch installed - 4x4 v3)

Got it to work - combination of partial erase and emergncy recovery utility.
    Last edited by joeszewczak; 01/24/2010 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Update
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeking View Post
    the apps seems to work rather well but it also seems to be a very big drain on my battery. Does it run in the background all the time? Is there a way to stop that?
    Are you using the power management scheduler? By using the scheduler the app doesn't do anything during the scheduled times. Using it can seriously help battery life.
    I used this app today I like how the notification is small until you tap on it. Great job with adding the map to the screen where you have a mini screen shot of where you plan on going. Cool app and it is dead on with the gps.
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backlund View Post
    Are you using the power management scheduler? By using the scheduler the app doesn't do anything during the scheduled times. Using it can seriously help battery life.
    I didn't know that's what it did, but I'll try it. However, I can't get it to install. I also couldn't upgrade form 0.9.5 to 0.9.6 previously. I tried re-booting my phone but no luck. It downloads but hangs in 'install'. Any suggestions?
    Global Posts
    273 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeking View Post
    I didn't know that's what it did, but I'll try it. However, I can't get it to install. I also couldn't upgrade form 0.9.5 to 0.9.6 previously. I tried re-booting my phone but no luck. It downloads but hangs in 'install'. Any suggestions?
    Weird... I'm having the same problem. Just hangs on install during upgrade. I even tried deleting it and installing new.. no luck.
    can this app get a address for a reminder from the contacts list on the pre?
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SiLlY View Post
    Weird... I'm having the same problem. Just hangs on install during upgrade. I even tried deleting it and installing new.. no luck.
    I had the same issues installing via the beta app store, but I dowloaded the zio file and installed the ipk via webos quick install and it was fine.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    This app looks sweet. Cant wait to use it. I like the fact that you can close it and it still work/alert. I have not had this luck with GeoStrings or one other I can't remember.

One thing I would love to have one of these GPS apps have is the ability to send an SMS within a specified locale. For example; I talk to my wife from work and we make plans for when I get home, she says to call her when I'm close to home so she be on time(I know, impossible for a woman). I get rocking to the tunes and always forget to call her. I would love an app that sent out a text based on a set location...
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Something seems to have broken in the latest version (0.9.6); now when I input a local business (e.g. Walmart), I only get results in California!? I'm searching with the exact same search query I used last time during my testing, which in 0.9.5 gave me the correct list of local businesses, with the closest being 1 mile away. Why am I only getting CA addresses? It's especially weird as the app's getting my GPS coordinates correctly; if I set a task for my home location, the alarm goes off as soon as I make the task, so the app knows I'm not in CA (which the app then tells me is ~8,000 miles away)... Any thoughts on this?

The new spinner looks good also.
    Last edited by StevenX; 01/25/2010 at 08:38 AM.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by StevenX View Post
    Something seems to have broken in the latest version (0.9.6); now when I input a local business (e.g. Walmart), I only get results in California!? I'm searching with the exact same search query I used last time during my testing, which in 0.9.5 gave me the correct list of local businesses, with the closest being 1 mile away. Why am I only getting CA addresses? It's especially weird as the app's getting my GPS coordinates correctly; if I set a task for my home location, the alarm goes off as soon as I make the task, so the app knows I'm not in CA... Any thoughts on this?

The new spinner looks good also.
    I just did a local business search (for "Honda"), and I'm in the middle of the floor, on the 14th floor, of a 16-story building, in Manhattan (at least 100 feet to the closest window). Search worked properly for me.

On another note, a timed test I had set for this morning, worked perfectly.

And FWIW, I'd love to see options to customize notifications.

Regards,
    -JerryG
    Uniden PC100 -> Visor -> Visor Pro w/VisorPhone -> Tungsten T -> Tungsten T2 -> Tungsten T5 -> TX -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p -> Pre -> Evo 4G
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    I've found something of a workaround to get business search to work properly; if I suffix the business with "Edinburgh," it will force the search to look for businesses in Edinburgh. Still a bit of an annoyance, as the way it worked in 0.9.5 didn't require this for whatever reason. I've checked searching for the same queries in the Google Maps app, and that only requires the business name, not the name and city.
    Global Posts
    273 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ssrjazz View Post
    I had the same issues installing via the beta app store, but I dowloaded the zio file and installed the ipk via webos quick install and it was fine.
    Thanks bud. Didn't even think of that. 0.9.6 working on my Pre now.

For those having the same issue..

Download:
    http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/geotasks

and install using wosqi
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast