Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    I am willing to pay $100 to anyone that can develop and publish a way to get VNC viewer running as a card in WebOS. I am fairly certain this is possible using an existing vnc viewer codebase (FBVnc, Vncviewer, etc) and drawing / input via a WebKit plugin. The terminal application's drawing API would be a good starting point to look at as well.

I believe this will be a monumental advancement for the WebOS platform if this can be made working. It would allow us to run any graphical Debian Linux ARM applications memory permitting.

Requirements for VNC viewer (I would be willing to pay for this):
    - Uses arbitrary IP address and TCP port (5900)
    - Compatible protocol with the debian vncserver application
    - Runs as a card in WebOS
    - Runs fullscreen at 320x480 @ 8 bpp
    - Input from both Keyboard and Touchscreen (left single click mouse)

Optional:
    - Left/Right click/double-click mouse
    - Panning a higher virtual res via drag
    - Calling a named shell script before initiating vnc session.
    - 16+bpp
    Is anyone working on this? My guess is it will be easier considering the huge success that is DOOM and Quake accelerated and in a card.

Thanks!
    There is a VNC library for SDL located here. It doesn't look like it would be beyond webOS Internals' abilities to port it over, especially with a $100 bounty.
    Treo 300 > Hitachi G1000 > PPC-6700 > PPC-6800 (Mogul) > PPC-6850 (Touch Pro) > Palm Pre & HTC EVO Optimus V
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    I have taken that source, removed the double buffer setting, and recompiled, which unfortunately produces a black card and it is not connecting.

At first I thought this may have something to do with the bit depth mismatch of my server, but creating a local tightvncserver with the exact screen dimensions/bpp still does not produce an image. I will be working on debuging this a little more tonight ( Define DEBUG when compiling the SDLvnc library helps ) and welcome anyone else to try and get this working.

If someone can publish a working binary, I am still offering my $100 contribution to this effort.
    Well, I wish I could help you debug, but I can't even get as far as you did. Running the TestVNC executable I get

Quote Originally Posted by command output
    SDL_vnc Sample VNC Client - LGPL, A. Schiffler, aschiffler@appwares.com

** (process:13310): CRITICAL **: void PIpcClient::init():60 Failed to connect to socket: No such file or directory

** (process:13310): CRITICAL **: virtual void NIpcClient::serverDisconnected() (122). Remote server disconnected. Exiting...
    Segmentation fault
    Defining DEBUG does not result in any additional output.
    Treo 300 > Hitachi G1000 > PPC-6700 > PPC-6800 (Mogul) > PPC-6850 (Touch Pro) > Palm Pre & HTC EVO Optimus V
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    From what I can tell it is really close to working as I can see it polling for input. However, I am struggling to find time to look at this more

One thing that I had wanted to try next was to compile on x86 and try it locally to see if the code actually works as it is supposed to without modifications.

I can send you the code I have gotten to so far. PM me.
    I REALLY want this too. I'm not a developer, but I'd be a pretty good alpha or beta tester. I'm comfortable at a bash prompt and have UltraVNC on all of my PCs.
    Palm history: II, IIIc, Kyocera 7135, Treo 650, Centro, Pre, FrankenPre+, (legit) Pre+ & TouchPad.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    I think as of today's announcement it would make more sense to port it over using the PDK, no?
    Seems like the pdk is just the palm-approved method of doing what's already been done - SDL, etc. But maybe.
  10. mk3
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    Great idea for an app. Standing by my download button patiently...
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Well, as a sanity test I compiled the virgin code on my desktop and it doesnt work there either (Black screen). So it would appear that code is not working out of the box and has nothing to do with my attempts at porting to WebOS.

At least I can try debugging it there instead.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    I got some code finally working on my desktop now. Ill cross compile for ARM later tonight and report back.
    Last edited by zonyl; 01/09/2010 at 11:18 AM.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Success!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! VNC and X-windows apps on the pre now!! Ill hook up with someone in WebOS internals tonight about git and packaging it for Preware.

Shown below is SDL VNC viewing a local Tightvncserver running xeyes from debian chroot. Touchscreen input is working great. Need to kick the tires a little more and clean up my modifications to the source.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by zonyl; 01/09/2010 at 12:50 PM.
    Can you hook some of us up now? So excited!
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Firefox running natively on the Pre!

Next up Ekiga
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zonyl View Post
    Success!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! VNC and X-windows apps on the pre now!! Ill hook up with someone in WebOS internals tonight about git and packaging it for Preware.

Shown below is SDL VNC viewing a local Tightvncserver running xeyes from debian chroot. Touchscreen input is working great. Need to kick the tires a little more and clean up my modifications to the source.
    Yes!!! I've been waiting for this ever since I got my Pre!! Let me know where I can send a donation!
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dallashigh View Post
    Yes!!! I've been waiting for this ever since I got my Pre!! Let me know where I can send a donation!
    Send all donations to the folks at WebOS Internals:Site support - WebOS Internals . Without their research, preware, terminal, help, etc, I could have never gotten this far and probably wouldnt even still have my Pre.
  18. ird
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    This is great news. I can't wait to try it out.
    This is fantastic to watch develop. . .Thank you for the work put in!!!
    wow!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast