1.    #1  
    I don't know what process Palm went through to create the British English (en-gb) version of the auto-replace dictionary, but it's pretty shoddy, it uncorrects some words that are right, it still has some Americanisms in there and it also has some weird archaic terms, like changing 'connection' to 'connexion' - sure, it's technically correct, but we (Brits) use connection too, and likely more often.

It also uses '-ise' rather than '-ize'. That one is more a matter of personal preference, British English can use both, -ise is the Cambridge University Press preferred form and probably more common, all the newspapers use it. -ize is the form adopted by the Oxford English Dictionary.

Anyway, if anyone is interested, here is the en-gb text-auto-replace file, tweaked by hand for the stuff it got wrong, and also in -ize/OED form (that is, it will correct -ise words to -ize, except where -ise is the correct form, as in surprise, for example).

Rename text-edit-autoreplace.en_gb_oed.txt to text-edit-autoreplace and put it in /etc/palm/autoreplace/en_gb.

The patch file is for interest - you can see the changes made. I could also upload it to Preware to allow the modification to be made that way, if enough people are interested.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    How do I get a Pre active in the States to use the British dictionary?

Yes, add it to Preware.

webOS Developer
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by roneyii View Post
    How do I get a Pre active in the States to use the British dictionary?

Yes, add it to Preware.
    This is a good question! Try the Regional Settings app - if you tap the current language setting under ‘Format’ you can pick a different country. The phone will reboot.
    Or, if you want to keep your en-us locale settings but still use the en-gb auto-replace, then copy the text-edit-autoreplace file to /etc/palm/autoreplace/en_us instead of en_gb.
    this means I can replace the dictionary with portuguese words? How can I access the complete list of words within the aucorrector?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by glorifiedg View Post
    this means I can replace the dictionary with portuguese words? How can I access the complete list of words within the aucorrector?
    Yes, it looks like there isn't a Portuguese locale, is that right? In any case, the autoreplace dictionaries are in /etc/palm/autoreplace/, in sub-directories for each locale, en_us, en_gb, etc. You'll need to edit the file corresponding to your current locale, but you can put what you want in there.
    Quote Originally Posted by IMGrant View Post
    Yes, it looks like there isn't a Portuguese locale, is that right? In any case, the autoreplace dictionaries are in /etc/palm/autoreplace/, in sub-directories for each locale, en_us, en_gb, etc. You'll need to edit the file corresponding to your current locale, but you can put what you want in there.
    Nice. I use American English as default but I'll see if I can replace it with costumized portuguese.
    I'll give it a try now.

Thanks