Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Prenosicator View Post
    I have developed an audio recording application that will be available with in the next few days (with any luck) in the webos-internals testing feed.

It does not use this same method, but a similar one.

parec is basically a simple pulse audio utility to record from a source (in this case i believe the pcm_input from alsa for the mic is Source #0)

My application uses the pulsesrc plugin directly through a gstreamer pipeline, in C, so in theory it allows for more flexability in the future (variable controls for stream and bitrate, various plugins for mp3 etc), and even a voice activation mode.

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade. I'll probably start a thead in the webos-internals forum when it's up.
    Greetings Prenosicator!

Been waiting for you somehow, but the wait was worth it! Nice shot ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by farewelltoernest View Post
    Prenosicator, you are my freaking hero. Could you tell us more about the app, such as if there are any caps ib the length of recording, if you can save files in mp3 format, etc?
    By default, it installs (and currently exclusively uses) the LAME mp3 audio encoder, which of course saves in .mp3 format. There are currently no /caps/ for recording time, but there are limitations based on the current state of your device (ie: cpu usage by other apps, and free memory). In the current state, there is no way to enumerate these variables, but in the next (public) alpha release, the app will give you feedback if there are issues with the current recording pipeline. What I /can/ tell you, is it runs much smoother with an 800mhz kernel. This does not mean I suggest you go out an run an 800mhz kernel, but its a considerable difference in my opinion. There will also be various preferences and options that can be set for quality, including Stream rate (in khz), bit depth (8 or 16), bitrate (64, 96, or 128kbps), and overall lame encoder quality. In other words, simple voice recording will run fine even on a stock phone, but if you want to record music or other application output, you may want to consider better quality.

Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    ok so what if you installed the script in this thread and the sox to make it work do we need to uninstall and if so what is the proocedure. Thanks
    Not sure, but you shouldn't have to do anything to get this to work as it interacts directly with the system libraries. In other words, if you can currently play any media on your device with success, this application will work.
    Bringing you the first video recorder (Precorder), the first SDL application/game (DOOM), the first "make my magicjack/corporate voicemail play on my webos phone thingy" (gsm codec package), and now, webos's first opensource media recorder (voice and stream!) -> zcorder
    I need this badly, especially if it encodes directly to MP3. Consider this strong encouragement! {Jonathan}
    how do you uninstall the previous script that was posted to this thread?
    Update: downloaded Precorder via Preware testing feed and it works! Used Internalz to find/play recordings (in /media/internal/recordings/ directory), and Jason R's file naming patch makes for logical and unique names.

Will be giving a longer term test later today, but psyched that I may be finally able to record my teaching directly w/o any additional accessories, right to MP3. One suggestion, tho: to avoid confusion with earlier Precorder video app, and to maximize chance of being included someday in the App Catalog, a name change (w/o the word Pre) would be useful.

Thank you! {Jonathan}
    Last edited by Jonathan I Ezor; 04/18/2010 at 09:02 AM.
    Thanks Johnatan I wouldn't have thought about using internalz to listen to my recordings it does work with microphone and media capture Thanks.
    You'll find them listed in the music app also...woot! Finally I can send voice notes through email and messaging! KICKASS!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by vholif2137 View Post
    You'll find them listed in the music app also...woot! Finally I can send voice notes through email and messaging! KICKASS!!!
    nice!!!
    now, if you can only write a step by step to do this, i would be very thankfull. thanks
    If someone could do a gui for this and put it in preware, it would be awesome!
    The script in this thread hasn't been updated but Prenosicator has an app in Preware in the testing feed it is called Precorder.
    The script in this thread hasn't been updated but Prenosicator has an app in Preware in the testing feed it is called Precorder.
    how exactly do i get to the testing section on preware?
    Quote Originally Posted by ericizzy1 View Post
    how exactly do i get to the testing section on preware?
    Testing Feeds - WebOS Internals
    Any recommended settings? I can barely hear recordings done by microphone...
    Last edited by Mannyman; 04/18/2010 at 04:04 PM. Reason: punctuation
    Quote Originally Posted by linwiz311 View Post
    [url= Feeds - WebOS Internals[/url]

UPDATE: Never mind . . . Got it installed.

Dis this, anf feed *seems* to load fine, but I don't see the feed in Preware menus, and can't find the app with a "List of Everything" search. Do I need "arm7" in the feed URL, or is the "all" feed OK?
    Last edited by grappler; 04/18/2010 at 04:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by grappler View Post
    UPDATE: Never mind . . . Got it installed.

Dis this, anf feed *seems* to load fine, but I don't see the feed in Preware menus, and can't find the app with a "List of Everything" search. Do I need "arm7" in the feed URL, or is the "all" feed OK?
    +1
    Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    how do you uninstall the previous script that was posted to this thread?
    You probably mean my script? To remove my script, just delete it from the directory where you put it:

Code:
    rm rec.sh
    or
    Code:
    rm /var/home/root/rec.sh
    To uninstall sox, type in:
    Code:
    ipkg-opt remove sox
    okay have the same problem, test feed doesnīt appear in the feed section any hints?

installed both feeds: arm7 and all, none of them show up! if there is a spelling issue, how do i remove the feed again? couldnīt see any options...

wow, wow anyways thanks so much for this app, was about to buy a recorder, just hope to get this running soon.

help is appreciated, thanks a lot for all your good work
    Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    Just downloaded and tried it out. Very nice start, Prenosticator! Are you intending to develop a commercial version or will this be open sourced? If open sourced, I'd love to get involved. If commercial, I look forward to buying it when it becomes available. This has been one of my key missing features for too long!
    tc600 thanks! Any plans to put a gui to your script both of them work well. I asked because when I was troubleshooting precorder I thought there was a conflict but realized there wasn't
    Quote Originally Posted by Tereschkova View Post
    okay have the same problem, test feed doesnīt appear in the feed section any hints?

installed both feeds: arm7 and all, none of them show up! if there is a spelling issue, how do i remove the feed again? couldnīt see any options...

wow, wow anyways thanks so much for this app, was about to buy a recorder, just hope to get this running soon.

help is appreciated, thanks a lot for all your good work
    Everyone having trouble: Once you add the testing feeds, make sure you update your feeds in preware. Go to list of everything and search for "precorder". You should be able to find it there and install it.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast