Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    here is my finding on the current 600 patches, both the 600 cpu scaling and the 600 smartflex patch.

complete information is below.
    any questions post

Patch:

Smartflex 600 patch
    ====================

Apps left open(entire time)

Touch.Facebook.com
    The weather channel app
    Battery monitor(interval 10mins)
    Messaging
    Quick system tasks app

(screen dimmed at about 10%)
    ======================

Dailey activity-

5:50am-7:15- music player, texting. Wifi off. Data off. Phone on.

7:15-9:30- no use. Airplane mode.

9:30-4:45- minimal texting. Wifi off. Data off. Phone on.

4:45-5:30- lots of texting. Wifi off. Data on. Phone on.

5:30- day ended

======================
    Pros: programs very responsive.

Cons: 5-8 second freeze often.

When in palm's music player, half back gesture would cause app to minimize(still went back)

======================

=======================================================

Patch:

Cpu scaling 600

====================

Touch.Facebook.com
    The weather channel app
    Messaging
    Quick system tasks app

======================

Dailey activity-

9:30-4:45- minimal texting. Wifi off. Data off. Phone on.

4:45-5:30- lots of texting. Wifi off. Data on. Phone on.

5:30- day ended

======================
    Pros: programs very responsive.

Cons: 2-5 second freeze often.
    Phone crashed and had to pull battery once.

the cpu scaling patch day was an hour shorter but i used the internet a little more to compensate.

=======================================================

So as you can see the cpu scaling patch's battery ended the day with a little over half the battery left.

overall i prefer the cpu scaling patch because with the smartflex patch it would freeze for 5-10 seconds very often. The cpu scaling would freeze for about 2-5 seconds only somtimes.

i'm going to be testing the smartflex 500 tomorrow and the cpu scaling 500 the next day.

will post my results.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Patch:

CpuScaling 500 patch
    ====================

Touch.Facebook.com
    The weather channel app
    Messaging
    Quick system tasks app

======================

Dailey activity-

Phone crashed at 7:00(that's why image is for a shorter amount of time)
    (light websurfing for about 10 mins)
    9:30-2:45 music player, texting. Wifi off. Data off. Phone on.
    today was a little shorter but i used the internet for a little.
    also aroun 9:00 my screen got bumped on in my pocket and didn't turn off until 9:15
    ======================
    Pros: battery life
    Cons:1-3 second freeze somtimes.
    phone crashed once.
    ======================
    Last edited by derik123derik123; 12/04/2009 at 02:53 PM.
    Nice to see someone showing their homework. Very informative. Nice Job.

I ran the 600 smartflex for about 4 days. Loved it as tasks moved faster. It did have a lag every once in awhile. Then with all the warning being posted here I lost my nerve and uninstalled it and went to the 500 scaling. It acted real bad with lock ups and blackouts. 24 hours later I uninstalled it and went to Samrtflex 500. Thinking of going back to 600.
    obviously not scientific, but a data-rich summary of your experiances, so very useful to me.

by the way, on your days, do you go through the same exact routine and go to the same exact places, an access your data/wifi/texting in those same places at the same times?

I ask because one of the biggest battery drainers is signal, which is also one of the more difficult variables to account for. and, as i am sure you are aware of different areas, even within the same room, can vary in signal strength. If there is any way to note how many bars you average when you are using the web/txt ect that would really be nice.

give a little, and I ask for a mile, sorry.
    There are four lights.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    obviously not scientific, but a data-rich summary of your experiances, so very useful to me.

by the way, on your days, do you go through the same exact routine and go to the same exact places, an access your data/wifi/texting in those same places at the same times?

I ask because one of the biggest battery drainers is signal, which is also one of the more difficult variables to account for. and, as i am sure you are aware of different areas, even within the same room, can vary in signal strength. If there is any way to note how many bars you average when you are using the web/txt ect that would really be nice.

give a little, and I ask for a mile, sorry.
    i told people to ask questions so your fine

by not scientific what do you mean? what am i lacking?

and yes, i do do the exact same thing. I'm on the bus(yes.. i'm in highschool.. *sigh*) then tech school then back to the highschool then to toco bell(McDonalds today((no i am not fat both Mcdonalds and tocobell had full service) for lunch(after school)
    now do this for the smartflex 500 patch and cpu 500 patch lol that would be nice ...????
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by derik123derik123 View Post
    m going to be testing the smartflex 500 tomorrow and the cpu scaling 500 the next day.

will post my results.
    read <3
    sweet i will look it up tomorrow and the next day then
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  8.    #8  
    yup welcome
  9.    #9  
    forgot to put the 500 smartflex patch on my pre last night. Will do that for Friday and do the 500 cpu scaling patch on Monday.
    jeez how could you forget ??? Lol just messin I will check back tomorrow. Have fun
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    jeez how could you forget ??? Lol just messin I will check back tomorrow. Have fun
    yeah... my bad... i was really busy last night. haha
  12.    #12  
    testing is on a little halt for now.
    Code:
    http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-development/218259-need-command-remove-thanks.html
    that's why...
    It should be noted that the 600Mhz patches have been removed because they are very damaging to the CPU, causing many problems right after installation, and for everyone else they could expect less than 6 months out of the life of the processor.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by derik123derik123 View Post
    testing is on a little halt for now.
    Code:
    http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-development/218259-need-command-remove-thanks.html
    that's why...
    nvm, i got it.

testing 500 cpuscaling patch tomorrow.
    Any progress being made on a 550Mhz patch (faster than 500, but safer than 600)?
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by a dumb cat View Post
    Any progress being made on a 550Mhz patch (faster than 500, but safer than 600)?
    using the dangerous-powersave-cpu-scaling-500mhz patch. i getting this

Code:
    cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/stats/time_in_state
    600000 0
    550000 592
    500000 36321
    250000 24398
    125000 38201
    it shows it's running at 550 some times but not running at 600.

though the patch shows a max of only 500.
    Code:
     echo "500000" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq
    not quite sure why.
    but here is the link, it is stable... been using for 5 hours now... nothing happened, installed fine.
    Code:
    http://hotfile.com/dl/19456648/c7134e1/Desktop.rar.html
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    looking forward to the review of the smartflex and cpu scaling 500s....

especially since i believe most people have said that the smartflex 500 gave better battery life than the scaling 500....

wonder if it was the increased speed that gave your 600 cpu scaling better batt than smartflex...would think the opposite....
    Palm Pre (Sprint)
    After trying both smartreflex patches (500 and 600), a custom 550mhz SR patch, and the 500mhz scaling patch, I found that not having any of the patches installed was giving me the best performance. The patches seemed to give me a lot of "stutter" in the animations, and programs didn't launch noticeably faster. Battery life didn't seem to get any better either. I removed the patches eventually, and after I did so, I measured my battery drain during the night (which is my usual time to do so). Without the patches my drain was between .5% and .7% per hour, whereas with the patches it was between .8% and 1.2% per hour. Maybe my results are atypical, but I thought I would throw them out there. I wonder if there's not some bug in the implementation of these features at the kernel level. I would think that the improvements would be consistent and considerable.
    @ derek123
    I've been messing around with changing the cpu speed a lot and checking how aggressive to be with the up_threshold and it seems no matter what whenever I do a time_in_state I get a "1" returned for 600 and a stable number right around where yours was for 550. These patches don't apply until after the palm boots so I believe the odd results above 500 are from the processor being overclocked for some period of time during boot originally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Armchair Commando View Post
    After trying both smartreflex patches (500 and 600), a custom 550mhz SR patch, and the 500mhz scaling patch, I found that not having any of the patches installed was giving me the best performance. The patches seemed to give me a lot of "stutter" in the animations, and programs didn't launch noticeably faster. Battery life didn't seem to get any better either. I removed the patches eventually, and after I did so, I measured my battery drain during the night (which is my usual time to do so). Without the patches my drain was between .5% and .7% per hour, whereas with the patches it was between .8% and 1.2% per hour. Maybe my results are atypical, but I thought I would throw them out there. I wonder if there's not some bug in the implementation of these features at the kernel level. I would think that the improvements would be consistent and considerable.
    I have noticed almost the same results when @ idle, I have less battery drain with stock settings, (with most radio's off at night) I do notice much better battery savings when at heavy load, Streaming Pandora and connected to bluetooth speakerphone. I noticed that the SmartReflex was much better at heavy load then the CPU Scaling. Here is the thing that I don't get, I thought the best battery performance would come from running SmartReflex @ lower clock such as 250Mhz. So I did tests of my 'heavy load' @ 600Mhz, 550Mhz and 250Mhz thing is the drain was about the same at all clocks! If you do try to scale down to 250mhz let me know if you have success w/ bluetooth my phone would get so slow when trying to stream to bluetooth @ 250mhz.

CaliMark (Mark Reed)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast