1. Dew
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    I quite astonished to see that despite Palm's UK website advertising a so-called Tube App that people can expect to download when they get a Pre, there is no sign of it in the app catalog.

Here is the app I'm talking about-

Palm Pre Phone : Mobile Applications Palm UK

Now I don't know if this app even exists or not, but I am pretty sick of waiting. As a Londoner who has to commute frequently, at the very least I want an app for my phone that let's me see an interactive tube map and tells me the latest tube status information. Browsing the TFL website on the go is not an option.

I would really, really appreciate if a developer would be kind enough to take up the responsibility to create such an app.

To help make life a bit easier I did bit of Googling and came up with these potential APIs that might contain what you need to get started-

Tube Updates - The API for London Underground / TFL Data

Get feeds | Transport for London

It would be ideal if the app contained a Journey Planner similar to the one on TFL's website- English - Journey Planner - Transport for London

Basically, this is exactly the kind of app I'm looking for (Tube Deluxe for the iPhone)-

So if anyone has the necessary skills to make such an app, please do it and I will make a donation for your efforts.

Thank you.
    Last edited by Dew; 11/30/2009 at 07:27 PM.
    I agree.

I complained to O2, and then Palm about this issue. 2 days later the app was removed from the Palm website. Both O2 and Palm also promised that the European App store would be live for paid apps within 1 month of the phone being released. A long time later and Palm still do not know if or when this will happen.

I am frustrated and as I bought this phone on the basis of an app store that does not exist am looking at the possibility of taking both Palm and O2 to court for breach of contract.

Would love to see that on the front page of the papers over here. Maybe then they will give us what they promised before we bought the phone.

It is such a shame. WebOS is an awesome OS, let down by cheap and shoddy hardware and a non existant app store. Thanks for nothing Palm. Hope you read this.
    I agree with you guys, they shouldn't have put that image up. Palm has promised us paid apps for March, so it won't be much longer to wait.

Also, there is a developer creating this application already. You can read all about it here: http://forums.precentral.net/gsm-pre...-tube-app.html
    (Sorry - double post, please delete me )
    Hi is there any news on this app???
    Have just submitted an updated version to the PreCentral catalog.

It uses a web API created by someone else, so the lines it supports depends on that. I can email the guy who made it and see if he can add in the East London Line

UPDATE

Just uploaded a new version that includes more specific details like station closures and replacement services...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by psychofly; 05/22/2010 at 08:23 AM.
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by psychofly View Post
    Hey,

I came across this thread a couple of days ago and decided to have a go at it...

So far I have put together a very simple app that just displays the status of the lines, but will probably start adding extra stuff as and when I have the time...

Hope you enjoy.

(Also let me know if it breaks...)
    Hi any chance you could post this in the Palm web/beta apps feed? It will be easier to install and get a wider audience.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by psychofly View Post
    Hey,

I came across this thread a couple of days ago and decided to have a go at it...

So far I have put together a very simple app that just displays the status of the lines, but will probably start adding extra stuff as and when I have the time...

Hope you enjoy.

(Also let me know if it breaks...)
    An excellent start. I take it it is actually checking the statuses online, it is so fast it is hard to tell? Does your source have data for the overground? I'm thinking of the recently re-opened East London Line which is the one I am most likely to be interested in.

Anyway, a brilliant start, thanks very much!
    Have just submitted an updated version to the PreCentral catalog.

It uses a web API created by someone else, so the lines it supports depends on that. I can email the guy who made it and see if he can add in the East London Line
    tubeInfo now in Preware.
    Good follow-on from TestTube.
    Would be nice if it had a third screen with the Tube map again
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT View Post
    tubeInfo now in Preware.
    Good follow-on from TestTube.
    Would be nice if it had a third screen with the Tube map again
    Erm... TestTube is nothing to do with me... Lol.

Tube map is in the works.
    Hi. Great work with the Tube app! Comes in very handy.
    Will we see a 'Nearest Station' update to find the nearest station via GPS?

As you know some apps are pretty lacking for the UK user so i was in touch with the Highways Agency asking if they had plans to make an app for webos and they said not at this time. So i asked if could use the information from their mobile site:

Home - Highways Agency

and they said i could. Now the only problem is i cant write apps so thought that as you did the Tube app you may like to add to it with this?This may put you in a place where you can have a lead over these apps in the UK.

Thanks for Tube info and hope to see a few more apps from you!
    Hi. Great work with the Tube app! Comes in very handy.
    Will we see a 'Nearest Station' update to find the nearest station via GPS?

As you know some apps are pretty lacking for the UK user so i was in touch with the Highways Agency asking if they had plans to make an app for webos and they said not at this time. So i asked if could use the information from their mobile site:

Home - Highways Agency

and they said i could. Now the only problem is i cant write apps so thought that as you did the Tube app you may like to add to it with this?This may put you in a place where you can have a lead over these apps in the UK.

I thought maybe you could add the update with find the ' nearest station' and then add the Highways Agency bit onto the app too and charge say.......3 for an app that includes the tube info and road traffic info or just do it on its own.

Thanks for Tube info and hope to see a few more apps from you!