Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    You know, this is a very good point. I mean if someone says they have cancer no one cracks jokes. But let someone say they have an addiction. (I know Alcoholism is classified as a disease by the A.M.A. I'm sure other addictions are as well) and people want to crack jokes.

There is a stigma associated with addiction, that it's just a matter of will so it should not be taken seriously.

On the other hand, the OP asked for help and received suggestions. Does having fun mean that you're not being helpful or you don't take something seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by shock_terminal View Post
    I am disappointed in %80-%90 of the community in this thread.
    Here is someone asking our help for a PROBLEM they have and we are cracking jokes at their expense.
    Real mature people.

Would you have done the same for someone with a different addiction?
    This article about Sprint keeping records might provide a little motivation:
    Sprint to Humans: We Know Where You Are, and So Do the Police - Sprint - Gizmodo
    hit up that thanks button
    I'd recommend getting married and having kids.

Seems to cure any desires except for drugs and drinking
    Former: Visor, Prism, VisorPhone, Treo 270,Treo 650, Centro Now: Pre
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Tell that to Tiger Woods.
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    See a therapist.
    "I'll take the ****** for $100, Alex."
    I guess the Pre is one sexy phone..........
    nothing wrong with watching nudes. Thats pretty much all i use my computer for now. lol.
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    I've been trying to watch videos on a certain mobile site that starts with mobile.s####e.com but cannt seem to play the videos is it just my phone or is the site down..anxiously waiting waiting for answer.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Thanks to everyone for your comments, suggestions and support. JCleveland thanks man, you too DrewPre, VeeDubb, etc for taking the time to respond and to be a real person behind the screen.

I've been workind on this for years, I konw where the real answer lies, and it is in HIM whom I trust, not myself, and that's why I'm asking for help with this one tech issue from you'all, 'cause I feel I'm on the final stages and I believe every little bit helps.

Everyone else just joking around and having fun with this, I'm cool with that, there haven't been any mean spirited comments or attacks on character, so you're just being funny and that's ok. It just shows we see this from a different perspective.

.....So I started working on installing an emulator to use linux to hide the browser and the youtube app (along with the useless nascar app), but my emulator is not lunching.
    I'm pretty sure I know how to fix that, but I have a small question (to show how little I know about this stuff). How does the device need to be connected to my laptop?, or does it?, and, in what mode?

I'll wait to keep going further with the steps tomorrow once I get some answers, cause I can't get the emulator to launch...
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    P.S To the guy that sent me a bunch of links to **** sites. That was funny!, If you meant it as a joke. Really, I actually laughed. (my kind of humor)

But then I thought about it, and I really do hope you meant it as a joke. Otherwise It would be like stealing someone's wallet while they're having a seizure, or smoking in your friends face after he gets out of lung cancer surgery, or something like that.

You get my point. Anyways... it didn't look like you were serious, and laughter is the best medicene sometimes, so thanks man.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    P.S To the guy that sent me a bunch of links to **** sites. That was funny!, If you meant it as a joke. Really, I actually laughed. (my kind of humor)

But then I thought about it, and I really do hope you meant it as a joke. Otherwise It would be like stealing someone's wallet while they're having a seizure, or smoking in your friends face after he gets out of lung cancer surgery, or something like that.

You get my point. Anyways... it didn't look like you were serious, and laughter is the best medicene sometimes, so thanks man.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by icse0211 View Post
    Thanks to everyone for your comments, suggestions and support. JCleveland thanks man, you too DrewPre, VeeDubb, etc for taking the time to respond and to be a real person behind the screen.

I've been workind on this for years, I konw where the real answer lies, and it is in HIM whom I trust, not myself, and that's why I'm asking for help with this one tech issue from you'all, 'cause I feel I'm on the final stages and I believe every little bit helps.

Everyone else just joking around and having fun with this, I'm cool with that, there haven't been any mean spirited comments or attacks on character, so you're just being funny and that's ok. It just shows we see this from a different perspective.

.....So I started working on installing an emulator to use linux to hide the browser and the youtube app (along with the useless nascar app), but my emulator is not lunching.
    I'm pretty sure I know how to fix that, but I have a small question (to show how little I know about this stuff). How does the device need to be connected to my laptop?, or does it?, and, in what mode?

I'll wait to keep going further with the steps tomorrow once I get some answers, cause I can't get the emulator to launch...
    I could've sworn there's a patch to hide those things by using the original patch program that you run from your comp.before preware etc. Can't think of the name at the moment.

in any case, good will power. In all honesty not having access is the easiest way to stop but I understand that's not easily possible nowadays. Make absolutely sure you have a good accountability partner other than your family. Sounds like you're almost there.
    Quote Originally Posted by icse0211 View Post
    So I started working on installing an emulator to use linux to hide the browser and the youtube app (along with the useless nascar app), but my emulator is not lunching.
    I'm not sure what you mean by installing an emulator. Are you using an emulator on your computer to test the process before doing it for real on your Pre? Regardless, I think the very easiest way to edit the files that you need to edit is to use WebOS Quick Install. There are other ways, all of which require you to be somewhat tech-y, and if you want some step by step instructions, you should follow these instructions on how to gain direct access to the Linux file system on your Pre. But honestly, it would probably just be easiest to do this:

1) Make sure your Pre has developer mode turned on and is connected to your computer in Just Charge mode

2) Launch WebOS Quick Install on your computer

3) In the menu bar, click on Tools, then Receive File

4) In the pop-up box, put /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.browser/appinfo.json in for the file name, pick a location where you want the file to be saved on your computer, and click Get From Device

5) Now you need to edit the file that you have copied to your computer. Word and Notepad do not make good editors of .json files. Word adds funky stuff and Notepad is hard to read. Wordpad or Textpad both work well, if you have either of those. All you have to do is add exactly this line:

Code:
    "visible" : true,
    It doesn't matter where in the list of other attributes you put it, although if you put it as the last item, then you don't need the comma at the end and you will need to add a comma to the end of what would now be the second to last line. (I hope that made sense.) Save and close the file.

6) Go back to Quick Install, choose Tools, Send File

7) Pick the file that you're sending and then for the destination folder, put: /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.browser (Please note that you are naming the folder where you want the file to go, so you need to leave off the appinfo.json part!)

8) Repeat this for You Tube: /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.youtube/appinfo.json and any other programs you want to hide

9) Reboot your Pre

BTW, I tried this on my own Pre with the browser icon, which I originally had on my quick launch bar. The first time I tried this, the browser icon did not go away. I moved the icon from my quick launch onto a regular launcher page and rebooted and it did, indeed, vanish. So this definitely works, but make sure your icons aren't located on your quick launch first. If you already have Quick Install on your computer, this will take you 5 minutes, tops, and that's including the reboot. If you have to install Quick Install, it'll take a bit longer, mostly because you will need to download the SDK from Palm, but honestly, it's well worth it. WebOS Quick Install is the bomb.

Good luck!
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    1) Make sure your Pre has developer mode turned on and is connected to your computer in Just Charge mode

2) Launch WebOS Quick Install on your computer

3) In the menu bar, click on Tools, then Receive File

4) In the pop-up box, put /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.browser/appinfo.json in for the file name, pick a location where you want the file to be saved on your computer, and click Get From Device

5) Now you need to edit the file that you have copied to your computer. Word and Notepad do not make good editors of .json files. Word adds funky stuff and Notepad is hard to read. Wordpad or Textpad both work well, if you have either of those. All you have to do is add exactly this line:

"visible" : true,

It doesn't matter where in the list of other attributes you put it, although if you put it as the last item, then you don't need the comma at the end and you will need to add a comma to the end of what would now be the second to last line. (I hope that made sense.) Save and close the file.

6) Go back to Quick Install, choose Tools, Send File

7) Pick the file that you're sending and then for the destination folder, put: /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.browser (Please note that you are naming the folder where you want the file to go, so you need to leave off the appinfo.json part!)

8) Repeat this for You Tube: /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.youtube/appinfo.json and any other programs you want to hide

9) Reboot your Pre

etc....
    Thanks for the help, I did exactly what you said and you are right, its a lot easier than accesing linux.

Anyway replacing the file and adding "visible" : true, did not work, after I restarted the pre I could still see and use the browser and youtube apps.

So I thought to change it to false instead of true, I tried this with the nascar app and it did work, my nascar app is gone.

I went back and did the same change for the browser and youtube app (replaced the word true for the word false) but after restarting the pre those two app are still there.

To recap: Nascar gone, browser and youtube still there, and I "believe" I did the same thing for all of them.

Any ideas as to why? Anyone?
    seriously i look at nudes everynight. So does every dude i know. Maybe you dont have a problem man. Its the internet. Its awsome.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwood212 View Post
    seriously i look at nudes everynight. So does every dude i know. Maybe you dont have a problem man. Its the internet. Its awsome.
    Methinks an addiction is only an addiction if it interferes with your responsibilities or causes actual harm to you or others.

If watching pron, drinking booze, etc, do not promote the above three conditions, have at it and be aware of your limits.

Curious.. p o r n is a 'dirty' word on this site?
    Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    heh apparently it is.
  18. Dew
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    pr0n is the way to go.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    I would recommend drugs... yes, DRUGS - or (rather) light antidepressants, that is.

Most addictive personalities suffer from behavioral and physical addiction... yeah, we can all make fun of David Duchovny here (or icse0211) but the fact is that many addictive behaviors trigger similar physical reactions (increased serotonin levels, etc) in most addictive personalities, whether the mechanism is Drink, Drugs, or Poon.

Certain light anti-depressants, like Wellbutrin or Adderal, can offset this and are very effective in subtly elevating mood and dealing with these addictions. Wellbutrin certainly helped me quit smoking (I have no connection to the manufacturer; in fact, buproprion is generic now and fairly cheap for everyone).

Best of luck, bez.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast