Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eimi View Post
    I don't think I can help much with the first idea, but for the other, if you have Linux access, it probably shouldn't be too hard to hide/remove the apps. Edit
    the files /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.browser/appinfo.json (the browser),
    /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.youtube/appinfo.json (youtube), or any others (there is no "google app", so I'm not sure what you're after there).

Add the line

"visible": false,

to any of those files and reboot, and that app shouldn't be in the launcher or accessible through Universal Search, though you could still get to them from links in email, possibly among other methods. I haven't tested it yet, but it's the same technique that's used to hide the Nascar app and such.
    I actually decided to do this today, thanks for the names of the apps, thats gonna be really helpful, and that google app thing, its just the marker, so when the browser is gone thats gonna be gone also.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by knobbysideup View Post
    Heh. Just as I started thinking of writing an app that goes to an index of images from a specified list of sites, and creates a nice slideshow from them.... ;-)

For filtering, you can certainly use a blocking /etc/hosts file. I do that for ads and malware. That would be a pretty easy app to write, actually (although you'd need to also write a service to deal with writing the file). Bonus: it works for every app, not just your browser.
    That sounds great. kinda complicated for me though
    Quote Originally Posted by joetemp75 View Post
    i dont see the problem
    because your already blind ?? roflol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewPre View Post
    Sound advice. But with most addictions frothy emotional appeal seldom provides the necessary deterrent. If it's a true addiction, no amount of fear [of losing the wife, kids, job, etc], self-will, or third party monitoring will suffice. A guy once told me that the scariest thing in his life was drinking when he didn't want to! I get goose-pimples just thinking of it. I identify!

Don't get me wrong though, self-will plays a role, in so much as knowing how to beat the addiction. But you learn to beat an addiction through following in the footsteps of one who has also beaten the addiction. Therapy has helped many a people but not so much for addicts. Even world reknown pyschiatrist Carl Jung said, of Alcoholism....

The necessary power to quit must come from a higher power. The groups of A.A. and similar 12-step groups can be that higher power, since here are a group of people who are demonstrating that they live life one day at a time without lapsing back into their addiction. however, be mindful that the 12 steps aer designed to help you find God. A God of your understanding.
    First of all. Thanks to both of you. I already put in practice your suggestion VeeDubb65, and it helps, besides you were right on... a wife and two kids, the best reasons ever. But like DrewPre knows (by experience it looks like) when its a real addiction sometimes you need more than that.

I've been getting better for years, now Im just at the point where this is pretty much the only thing bugging me. I just need need a period of sobriety without having to worry about it beign readily accesible. I know it sounds really stupid for someone who doesn't care about this but if it wasn't a click away, I'm at a point where I wouldn't wgo out of my way to find it.

I don't have all this tech knowledge to adapt gadgets and things to my advantage, but a lot of you do, so I appreciate your serious comments, suggestions, and help. You are using your skills for a good thing. Wether you believe in God, karma, the golden rule or whatever, you're doing a good thing, good things will come to you.

I'm gonna try just using linux to hide the apps. It's not like I can just click on something on the phone and they pop right up...right?
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Maybe you need to talk to Dr drew (LOL)....!
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    The problem with filters, is that if you can put a filter on your phone, you can take it off. It's sort of like trying to quit drinking by putting a piece of duct tape over the cork in your bottle of scotch. It doesn't really work.
    This is very true VeeDubb. Filters really don't work because, in that "moment" temptation can always take over and it's as simple as turning off the filter. However, the same is true of a tracker application. Sure, it is a little more difficult, but it can still be deleted or disabled. What is more, if the temptation is strong enough, it is very possible for someone to simply "not care" and visit the sites anyway, regardless of who will know. Besides, what if the said girlfriend or wife finds out? We (humans) are experts at excuses, deceptions and lies.

Now, I totally agree with using every means necessary to remove the temptation. Visual reminders (wallpapers, etc..) are good and a tracker app would be best. (however, there currently is not a tracker app in the works that I am aware of. Covenanteyes.com, though, would be the place to inquire about creating one). In the end, however, you cannot rely on programs. You have to rely on your conscience, and you have to ask yourself, what empowers my conscience? If it's only yourself... well, you already know how easy it is to ignore your own conscience.

But, if you understand that the conscience is something given by God to be used by His Spirit, then you have a whole new power to keep you from p*rn.

Ice, in terms of spiritual things, I have no idea where you stand, but let me offer to you what I know is true. Jesus said that he would give his spirit to believers (Christians) in order to be a helper to them. Then, later on, God promised this in 1 Corinthians 10 "Therefore let anyone who thinks that he stands take heed lest he fall. No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it. Therefore, my beloved, flee from idolatry." (1Co 10:12-14). Now, that way of escape is a promise made to believers in Christ (beloved). In other words, God was promising that if you acknowledge your need for Christ to be your Savior, then you will have God's Spirit working in you (towards "good works" Ephesians 2:10 says). Then, with God's spirit working in you, sin (like p*rnography) can actually be put to death (Colossians 3:5) - no longer be a temptation.

Sure, you might be able to block it, filter it, track it, see a head shrink about it and stay away from it (maybe even for the rest of your life). But, if you want freedom from it, you need Christ.

By the way, it is not my goal in saying all of this to stir the pot for a religious debate. I think it's just important to realize that a sin situation, like addiction, is a spiritual situation.
    Time to lay hands and get those evil spirits out. You can use just one hand if you like
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Angus View Post
    Time to lay hands and get those evil spirits out. You can use just one hand if you like
    hahahahahahahahahahaha rofl smfh!
    You could put a DNS filter on your home wifi, and turn data off on your phone (after installing the homebrew patch to toggle it), but the latter part is easily undoable.
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    Kick the habit? Why?
    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    I imagine you can set up a proxy for web traffic to a filtered proxy.. Not sure how on the pre, but I can't imagine its hard.. (huh huh.. I said hard..)
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Jcleveland, in the spirit [heh] of healthy debate... I know... you're not seeking debate...but indulge me for a moment...

By definition [heh] do you think there's a definition sufficient enough to define God?

Doesn't any definition that one would use to define God only serve to confine and constrict God and what God is??

I ask these questions not to make any point other than, Christian, ***, or Muslim... aren't these all man-made conceptions of what God is that are being applied to vast groups of individuals like a cookie cutter answers to metaphysical questions?

Shouldnt the question and definition of God [assuming a man-made definition be applied] be a subjective one? One made by the individual in the light of his/her present circumstances and past experiences? A higher power as I [or you] understand him!

Is an Amazonian Indian kept out of heaven because he knew not of Jesus while the pope is allowed in?
    hahahahahaha... i gotta admit to the OP you have a tough "pair" to go online and admit that. kudos

<< links removed >>
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewPre View Post
    Jcleveland, in the spirit [heh] of healthy debate... I know... you're not seeking debate...but indulge me for a moment...

By definition [heh] do you think there's a definition sufficient enough to define God?

Doesn't any definition that one would use to define God only serve to confine and constrict God and what God is??

I ask these questions not to make any point other than, Christian, ***, or Muslim... aren't these all man-made conceptions of what God is that are being applied to vast groups of individuals like a cookie cutter answers to metaphysical questions?

Shouldnt the question and definition of God [assuming a man-made definition be applied] be a subjective one? One made by the individual in the light of his/her present circumstances and past experiences? A higher power as I [or you] understand him!

Is an Amazonian Indian kept out of heaven because he knew not of Jesus while the pope is allowed in?
    Probably better discussed in 'Off Topic'
    << edited by berd - move along >>
    Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    How the f did the Jesus worm his way into this outstanding thread.

As for **** and the pre well . . heh Im on my 4th pre due to replacements from sprint and each of my 3 Pre returns were thoroughly prepped with hrmm how shall we say . . . surprise pics of the "unit" because i know they check to see what may have been left on the usb drive heh.

The first time was really hard to keep from losin it.

Anyhow you keep loving your ****.

If not for **** there would be no internet.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Call Tim Tebow.
    I am disappointed in %80-%90 of the community in this thread.
    Here is someone asking our help for a PROBLEM they have and we are cracking jokes at their expense.
    Real mature people.

Would you have done the same for someone with a different addiction?
    Even better.. if you are using your phone at home using your wi-fi, put the OpenDNS at the router level and set the security to block all the p**n stuff..
    Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    I am disappointed in %80-%90 of the community in this thread.
    Here is someone asking our help for a PROBLEM they have and we are cracking jokes at their expense.
    Real mature people.

Would you have done the same for someone with a different addiction?
    Well I never claimed to be mature however however jokes, humor etc is sometimes the best cure. Regardless . . a person doesn't start a thread like this without at least a little grin on their face knowing that it's gonna crack people up even if totally serious.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast