Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    I would like to see a vehicle management app that tracks maintenance, fuel usage, parts, etc. I used MyCar in PalmOS a lot. I still use it through Classic, but would like a version for the Pre and would be willing to pay for it. It would need to have the ability to export data to a spreadsheet. MyCar would track Maintenance, Parking, Drivers, Car Parts, Gas fills and MPG, Insurance, Memberships, and Trips & costs.
    x2 for an app like this. Mileage Monitor or Tank Tracker might be a good base to build off of.
    i-phone, shmy-phone... I have a Pre!
    Quote Originally Posted by long_tall_texan View Post
    x2 for an app like this. Mileage Monitor or Tank Tracker might be a good base to build off of.
    Yeah it would be great to expand on them. Especially since Tank Tracker is a paid app.
    I am interested as well.
    Post as many requirements as you can think of. This might be a good project for me to get familiar with Palm's database for the Pre.

Would you want to sync it with my server over the internet for backup? I could also make a web-based client so you could use your desktop. Or maybe I would just make a mobile version instead of a native app. Actually I have done this before, but using different software.

Do you really need to store the data locally, as long as you can export it? Please let me know your thoughts.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    Post as many requirements as you can think of. This might be a good project for me to get familiar with Palm's database for the Pre.

Would you want to sync it with my server over the internet for backup? I could also make a web-based client so you could use your desktop. Or maybe I would just make a mobile version instead of a native app. Actually I have done this before, but using different software.

Do you really need to store the data locally, as long as you can export it? Please let me know your thoughts.
    I think I would prefer locally stored with internet sync. Would be great to be able to access that backup to view, print reports, etc.

Bottom line, I want to be able to record data on each vehicle, refer back to it when needed, and print out a report of it. If the output is in spreadsheet form, then one can sort, save, etc. Would like separate reports by vehicle for maintenance, fuel usage, etc.

For maintenance, I would like to be able to record odometer reading, date, type of operation performed, cost, and who performed.

would like to be combined with fuel usage with a running total of fuel economy. Also would like to be able to record basic data for each vehicle such as tag number, VIN, purchase price, insurance expiration, parts numbers and or sizes.

Would have to be able to track multiple vehicles.

Thanks for looking into this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Igor987 View Post
    vehicle management app that tracks maintenance, fuel usage, parts, etc.
    While the app you want is available you can use this one: fuel. This one is mostly focused (as the app's name says) in fuel usage but you can set reminders...

It does not have all the management tools you want but it may be useful for a while...
    I may be starting on this today. I'm thinking the home scene would be basically 3 buttons:

1. Entering fuel records
    2. Entering maintenance records
    3. Viewing records.

I could put the export feature in the App menu, or make another button on the screen for that. What do you think?

I'm thinking the export could work via email. You could just email the data to yourself so you could access it on your computer.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Sounds like a great start. I had talked to the maker of Checkbook about this app a while back... Seemed like it would be pretty easy to use the checkbook architecture to changeover to a vehicle maintenance app. Would be nice to import/export to Google Docs like Checkbook does.
    i-phone, shmy-phone... I have a Pre!
    Hmmm, Google Docs is a good idea. I'll look into that. Keep the ideas coming! It is a lot easier to design them in from the beginning than to patch them on later.

Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    Use TealPoint's TealAuto as a base for ideas. It only works on PalmOS unfortunately, but it has a lot of good stuff. I asked TealPoint if they plan to migrate any of their great apps to WebOS and they said no, not worth the investment on a platform whose future is questionable (my paraphrasing).

Since I have a lot of car data history stored in TealAuto, I would like to be able to import that data into your new tool. So provide an import/export function using some common PC file format? thorne
    Importing data could be very tricky, since someone else's table structure would likely be different. For example, I would not store any actual vehicle info with the maintenance records. I would just store a key value that points to the "Vehicle" table. The Vehicle table would possibly point to other tables in the same way for some of the vehicle details. Maybe I could import the basic stuff like what was done when and the mileage, and the user could clean it up by associating it with which vehicle and such.
    couldn't you just have a public google doc template for people to fill out, that way it can be easily uploaded in the same format you would download information to google docs?
    My site: Shanerooni, LLC
    Follow me on Twitter
    My apps: GuessWhat? | MazeHunter3D | Small Wonders | PhakePhoney | AutismAware | PicSketcher | Cubix | QuickSolve | QuickSpell | QuickTrace | QuickWhack | QuickSuite | Soccer Shots | Ballooning |
    Cubix
    I may be starting on this today. I'm thinking the home scene would be basically 3 buttons:

1. Entering fuel records
    2. Entering maintenance records
    3. Viewing records.

I could put the export feature in the App menu, or make another button on the screen for that. What do you think?

I'm thinking the export could work via email. You could just email the data to yourself so you could access it on your computer.
    It sounds a bit like this app:

http://www.precentral.net/app-gallery/app-catalog/fuel

It also uses Google Docs.
    would it be possible to have keyless entry as well? I saw the ipod has an app for that, maybe make an entire keyring section that saves bonus card barcodes to scan at the store as well. My girlfriends hero has the keyring thing for bonus cards and it's nice.
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    Importing data could be very tricky, since someone else's table structure would likely be different. For example, I would not store any actual vehicle info with the maintenance records. I would just store a key value that points to the "Vehicle" table. The Vehicle table would possibly point to other tables in the same way for some of the vehicle details. Maybe I could import the basic stuff like what was done when and the mileage, and the user could clean it up by associating it with which vehicle and such.
    Mileage Manager exports its data using JSON format, a common file format. So for example, If I want to import data into your app, I will have to export the data from my other app into JSON format and your app would read the JSON data. thorne
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    wondering if thornev or anyone else had made any progress with this app?
    Bump - would love this app
    Hmmm, Google Docs is a good idea. I'll look into that. Keep the ideas coming! It is a lot easier to design them in from the beginning than to patch them on later.
    I would like to suggest that 2 way auto sync with Google Doc is highly desired feature. In my case of multiple drivers using multiple cars, drivers can enter their usage info by whatever route they choose, with the master copy maintained on a cloud.
    ok, these are good ideas. I have started the app, but not gotten very far yet.

I should be getting back on it soon. The fuel entries will be first.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast