1.    #1  
    I was trying to set up SSH on my Pixi. I followed the instructions on the WebOS Internals "Next Steps" page; I ran otpware-bootstrap, set up a user account, and Dropbear was running. Dropbear was set up to open the port over EVDO (I checked). I found my Pixi's IP (EVDO, obviously) but get no response from it.

Then, I set up dynamic DNS anyway, but the output from ez-ipupdate was:
    ioctl(SIOCGIFADDR): No such device
    could not resolve ip address for ppp0.

Okay, that's weird. And upon running ifconfig, I didn't see ppp0 at all! But there was an "rmnet0" entry with my IP... bizarre. So I edited /opt/etc/ipupdate.conf and /etc/event.d/optware-dropbear to refer to rmnet0 instead of ppp0, and now everything works.

I saw no references to this interface name anywhere on the site, so I thought I should post this. Any idea _why_ the interface isn't named ppp0?
    Sorry to bump this old thread, but i'm having this problem on my wifes phone as well. Has anyone resolved this?
    Quote Originally Posted by jniemasik View Post
    I was trying to set up SSH on my Pixi. I followed the instructions on the WebOS Internals "Next Steps" page; I ran otpware-bootstrap, set up a user account, and Dropbear was running. Dropbear was set up to open the port over EVDO (I checked). I found my Pixi's IP (EVDO, obviously) but get no response from it.

Okay, that's weird. And upon running ifconfig, I didn't see ppp0 at all! But there was an "rmnet0" entry with my IP... bizarre. So I edited /opt/etc/ipupdate.conf and /etc/event.d/optware-dropbear to refer to rmnet0 instead of ppp0, and now everything works.

I saw no references to this interface name anywhere on the site, so I thought I should post this. Any idea _why_ the interface isn't named ppp0?
    getting the same error...made the changes to /opt/etc/ipupdate.conf file and saved but /etc/event.d/optware-dropbear has no references to ppp0. Rebooted the pixi but it still doesn't update its new ip address?...anybody???
    over a month and still haven't solved this problem...can anyone help with this?
    These are the results of my ifconfig:

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:1D:FE:C1:4A:AC
    inet addr:192.168.1.76 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:6742 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:3536 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:700114 (683.7 KiB) TX bytes:947575 (925.3 KiB)

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    RX packets:958 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:958 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:99288 (96.9 KiB) TX bytes:99288 (96.9 KiB)

ppp0 Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol
    inet addr:72.105.111.92 P-t-P:66.174.208.64 Mask:255.255.255.255
    UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:30 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:32 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:3
    RX bytes:1358 (1.3 KiB) TX bytes:1572 (1.5 KiB)

pre-start script
    # Add firewall rule to allow SSH access over WiFi on port 222
    # Remove the "-i eth0" on both of the following lines to enable SSH access
    # over the cellular data network (EVDO, etc).
    /usr/sbin/iptables -D INPUT -p tcp --dport 222 -j ACCEPT || /bin/true
    /usr/sbin/iptables -I INPUT -p tcp --dport 222 -j ACCEPT
    end script

IP-Update is running very cool

I have been able to get everything working over wifi - web pages and ssh through putty and filezilla.

I tried scanning my ip for open ports and didn't find any.

Is verizon blocking all incoming ports? Is there anything we can do about it?
    I am a Linux newbie. If programs like zolved and team viewer work through routers, why can't this?
    Quote Originally Posted by jniemasik View Post

The ppp0 interface is now gone. So /etc/ppp/if-up doesn't run anymore!!!! How can I setup dynamic DNS using the rmnet0 interface? I can't find the if-up configuration for this interface anywhere!!!
    Global Posts
    444 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by minerb View Post
    The ppp0 interface is now gone. So /etc/ppp/if-up doesn't run anymore!!!! How can I setup dynamic DNS using the rmnet0 interface? I can't find the if-up configuration for this interface anywhere!!!
    Have ez-update start using a script in /etc/event.d In the script, add the -d flag to ez-update to make it run in daemon mode.

On the webos-internals wiki, you can find samples scripts. Search the entries related to dynamic dns. Sorry, the site is down now and I can't provide a link.

(fwiw- I just got this set up only to discover that at&t blocks incoming requests. No was to ssh into my veer over 3g/edge)
    Sprint Treo 650 --> Sprint Treo 700p --> Sprint Centro --> Sprint Pre- --> AT&T Veer/ Pre 2/ Pre 3, Touchpad