Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    Is any developer out there interested in making a Skype like App in homebrew so we can use our phones to connect to our Skype accounts and talk to people online?
    This would really be helpful as I have relatives around the world and can call them over the internet for free!
    Please let me know if this is in the works.
    double poster
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    ECHO!
    Support!thanks.
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    I doubt it. Nobody uses Skype.
    it would be much better if the camera was on the front for skype.
    I know plenty of people who use skype.
    I think this would be an awesome app
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Yeah i would love it...my old HTC had it.
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    [QUOTE=Shadavis08;2066602]double poster[/QUOTE
    There is no rule against it!
    Just covering both threads, didn't know you were policing the site. It is an open forum after all. I just wanted to know if someone is working on this Skype App.
    Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gompers View Post
    I doubt it. Nobody uses Skype.
    Skype Hits 521 Million Users And $185 Million In Quarterly Revenue

Back to topic... I would really want this too, but sounds too large an endeavor for independent developers to make it happen...
    While I would LOVE this, it's not possible.

Yet.

A Skype app that would work for voice and not just the text chat (and who uses skype text chat?) would have to be released by Skype because they don't run on an open standard.

They can't make one, because the API for accessing the mic is not documented yet, (unless that was changed in 1.3.1 and I missed the notice)

Homebrew guys have figured it out, but until it's documented you won't see any commercial devs making anything except for things like Classic, which was helped along a great deal by Palm.
    Yes, I would love an app like that as well! I can imagine we'd have to wait till Skype comes up with one like for all the other platforms.
    < M105 - M130 - M515 - T|T3 - Cli UX50 - T|x - Pr - Pr 2 - TouchPad 16GB>
    [url]
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    Well I realize it may be a big endeavor for a single developer to undertake, hopefully someone someday will be able to make something similar or even close enough to the Skype App that the Iphone has.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    While I would LOVE this, it's not possible.

Yet.

A Skype app that would work for voice and not just the text chat (and who uses skype text chat?) would have to be released by Skype because they don't run on an open standard.

They can't make one, because the API for accessing the mic is not documented yet, (unless that was changed in 1.3.1 and I missed the notice)

Homebrew guys have figured it out, but until it's documented you won't see any commercial devs making anything except for things like Classic, which was helped along a great deal by Palm.
    I didn't know the homebew devs have figured out how to access the undocumented API for the mic? I would be happy to have a homebrew skype app for webos until palm releases the appropiate api's...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaurav View Post
    I didn't know the homebew devs have figured out how to access the undocumented API for the mic?

Precorder can record video with sound, so one way or another, there is at least one homebrew app that is using the mic to record sound. Whether that's through an existing api or through the their linux service I have no idea, but the proof of concept is there.
    well how did gdail access the mic for google voice?
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaosMarine03 View Post
    well how did gdail access the mic for google voice?
    It doesn't. Gdial accesses google voice via web and has your google voice account call your pre. Thus it uses the phone and your minutes, not the web to make calls. What we are discussing is the possibility of an app to access the mic to make "WEB BASED" VoIP calls.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions