1.    #1  
    I would love to see a Rogue-like game developed for the Pre. Has anyone considered it? Palm OS had iRogue. Recently the Android got Nethack. Iphone has some Rogue-like's too, but I don't know exactly which.'

For those of you who don't remember Rogue, its an Ascii character dungeon crawl from the early days of home computing. There's an active web community of afficianados of the genre.

My favorite Rogue-like was Omega. Other classic favorites include Angband and Edom.

As simple as the graphics are, apparently it was no trivial task to port Nethack to the Android. I'm no programmer but from what I can gather, Android depends heavily on Java. The developer who ported Nethack, avoided the Java language completely and wrote the game in "native" code (whatever that means).

Would it be any easier porting this type of game to WebOS. Many of the roguelike games, including my favorite, Omega, have open source code available.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    I don't suppose anyone's started such a project...? Nethack's on just about every other device, and with the Pre/Pixi's keyboard, I feel like it'd be a great fit.

Just my two cents to an old thread.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jrronimo View Post
    I don't suppose anyone's started such a project...? Nethack's on just about every other device, and with the Pre/Pixi's keyboard, I feel like it'd be a great fit.
    So?

Ok, i little work is required...

- enable the Optware feed
    - install and start "terminal"
    - install nethack via terminal/optware ("ipkg-opt install nethack")
    - type "nethack"

I just installed and started it - no idea if it's stable, if the screen resolution can be changed etc.

(yes - nethack is still alive. I just won a bottle of grappa, sorry, make that "blessed potion of booze" in a nethack tournament about half a year ago. )
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WalterH View Post
    So?

Ok, i little work is required...

- enable the Optware feed
    - install and start "terminal"
    - install nethack via terminal/optware ("ipkg-opt install nethack")
    - type "nethack"

I just installed and started it - no idea if it's stable, if the screen resolution can be changed etc.

(yes - nethack is still alive. I just won a bottle of grappa, sorry, make that "blessed potion of booze" in a nethack tournament about half a year ago. )
    Hmm... I can't get ipkg to find nethack. I have optware enabled, but I just get "cannot find package nethack."

I guess I could try to learn to program to port it... heh.