Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewPre View Post
    Try this....

next time you restart your Pre, shell into it and use ps -ef and watch the processes go by .... look for [defunct]... I see a lot of this at start up. I saw it in my own service when I didn't close a file I had open for buffered reading. When I closed the file in the code, the defunct went away.

Would this qualify as a memory leak? From what I have read, defunct is just a place holder that the system uses and there is not really an app running there.

If this is a memory leak, ...even if it isn't ....but can be a source of problems.....I see a lot of services that exhibit this symptom.
    Good thought....but I dont see any of those on my pre...
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Laxidasical View Post
    In each app/stage/scene assistant there in a "cleanup" method that performs tasks right before the app closes. This is where developers are to "garbage collect". The problem stems from developers forgetting (or not knowing) to clear out stuff like event listeners as Kev1000000 pointed out.

Actually, I didn't know that webOS wasn't cleaning up on it's own as of 1.2.1 (I clear out all un-needed objects anyway). Even if the OS were to auto garbage collect, it's just plain sloppy code to leave it in simply because you can. You may as well free up as much memory as you can as quickly as you can. As a matter of fact, I wish there were a way to complete destroy variables in JavaScript (like the unset() function in PHP).
    We need to make sure that all the devs are doing this...or at least get the word out there.
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Laxidasical View Post
    That isn't necessarily a memory leak. It sounds like you're just using most of the available memory the Pre has right at that point in time (there are limits to everything!). Basically, you are filling up memory faster than the CPU can process it. When they activate the GPU (Graphics Processing Unit), that will take some of the load off of the CPU and will (hopefully) speed things up a bit.
    I only have one or two cards up at a time when this happens......
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    I have found that using the JsTop garbage collection feature helps with this lag... Perhaps someone can create a patch to put manual garbage collection in the drop down menu....This way I can do this if I am ever in a bind. It allready saved me once....I used it in the JsTop App. I was getting the too many cards error and I ran it and was able to finish what I was doing....instead of having to reboot.
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    maybe its to much email in trash folders or just to much email altogether . That one of the things that slows this phone.
    I still see emails hanging out int he /data/emails directory after deleting all mails from my pre..even the trash. IT probably has a max limit and then starts overwriting..otherwise many people would be running into space issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superstardjal View Post
    I don't know the 1st thing about programing, but from my very heavy use of the pre since june 6 I can tell you if you want to identify the biggest memory leak native to the pre, look no farther than the BROWSER. There's got to be some major cleanup opportunity in that code.
    *WARNING: THE FOLLOWING IS PURE AND UNADULTERATED SPECULATION*
    I think a big problem is pages that have javascript on them. It would seem that if WebOS apps need to be careful with garbage collection, a poorly behaved web page could cause the same problems. I wonder if whatever is done in desktop browsers to limit the javascript memory issues is not done on the Pre in the same way. I dunno, just speculating.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by navinag View Post
    I have found that using the JsTop garbage collection feature helps with this lag... Perhaps someone can create a patch to put manual garbage collection in the drop down menu....This way I can do this if I am ever in a bind. It allready saved me once....I used it in the JsTop App. I was getting the too many cards error and I ran it and was able to finish what I was doing....instead of having to reboot.
    It helps, but I think the main problem are the memory leaks in the system processes (Luna). For example, when you restart your Pre look at Process ID 1006- Mine usually has around 550 nodes. After a while, it will keep increasing even after you run garbage collect. Mine is currently at 630. I don't think there is anything we can do besides restarting Luna until Palm addresses the leaks.
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    I have found that playing music in shuffle mode causes serious lag.....
    For me I can get a lag every time after playing Bubbles for about 15-20 min. It gets bad enough that screen refresh is up to 10 sec. When I exit the program, the app name stays in the upper left corner for up to 15 sec. then everything is back to normal speed again.

Jeff
    its not a memory leak.
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oc80z View Post
    its not a memory leak.
    why don't you tell us what it is then..and please elaborate...
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12