Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    I'm sure cached webpages has been asked of before, however If that's too lofty of a goal, I was wondering if you could have a patch for TRUE multitasking with the browser app. It seems when you get out of the browser app (or even the google maps app) for longer than a few minutes or so, the webpage just remembers the web address and then refreshes itself when you go back to the card. This is particularly annoying if i'm writing something on a site, I leave the card to do something and come back to have what i've written refreshed away. At the very least it would be nice to have the google maps app not refresh after you leave it, because it erases the searches you've done as well as the directions you have listed! This is extremely annoying, and on a mobile platform that emphasizes multitasking, not being able to have the browser running in the background with other applications sucks.

So basically a cached browsing patch, or if not that, a browsing in the background patch. Is this feasible or no?
    great idea.
  3. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tredftw View Post
    I'm sure cached webpages has been asked of before, however If that's too lofty of a goal, I was wondering if you could have a patch for TRUE multitasking with the browser app. It seems when you get out of the browser app (or even the google maps app) for longer than a few minutes or so, the webpage just remembers the web address and then refreshes itself when you go back to the card. This is particularly annoying if i'm writing something on a site, I leave the card to do something and come back to have what i've written refreshed away. At the very least it would be nice to have the google maps app not refresh after you leave it, because it erases the searches you've done as well as the directions you have listed! This is extremely annoying, and on a mobile platform that emphasizes multitasking, not being able to have the browser running in the background with other applications sucks.

So basically a cached browsing patch, or if not that, a browsing in the background patch. Is this feasible or no?
    Agreed regarding Google Maps. It's utterly frustrating when I get directions via Google Maps on how to reach someplace via NYC subways, only to lose the directions when I'm underground on the subway, and I have no way to get them back without Sprint signal!
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    yeah, I took huge issue with this after the phone came out-browsing several text heavy sites is like walking a highwire when it comes to going over that magical limit that darkens a web tab

that said, I've had much fewer issues since installing the ram threshold patch from preware and the fswap patch available on this forum. I can definitely run a few applications and have 3 or 4 heavy content web pages open with those.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stihl View Post
    that said, I've had much fewer issues since installing the ram threshold patch from preware and the fswap patch available on this forum. I can definitely run a few applications and have 3 or 4 heavy content web pages open with those.
    I have those patches installed as well, and while I'll admit it helped, My google maps app still goes gray after a while, and ive made more than a few mistakes because of it. I was just hoping there would be some way to disable the graying out of browser windows, or preferably if there were a patch that cached web pages. I think a patched that cached web pages would prove to be more useful than any other patch right now.
    I agree.. I really don't understand why the browser doesn't cache whatever page it's displaying in the media partition as long as there's space. I would have thought Sprint (or whatever carrier was carrying the phone) would have mandated that type of functionality to save on bandwidth. It's a huge waste to refresh the same exact data for no reason at all.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by themirthfulswami View Post
    I agree.. I really don't understand why the browser doesn't cache whatever page it's displaying in the media partition as long as there's space. I would have thought Sprint (or whatever carrier was carrying the phone) would have mandated that type of functionality to save on bandwidth. It's a huge waste to refresh the same exact data for no reason at all.
    I know, cached web browsing would take the browsing experience from a 7 to a 9. Is there anyone out there who thinks this is possible willing to code this?
    Great idea! Any chance this would get a little more exposure if it was moved to the patches sub-forum?
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BozackJenkins View Post
    Great idea! Any chance this would get a little more exposure if it was moved to the patches sub-forum?
    Possibly, however I didn't even know there was a patches sub-forum until a few weeks ago, so it probably wont get as much overall exposure. It could get more exposure to the people making the patches though.