1.    #1  
    I'm surprised that no one else seems to want this. The biggest thing I miss from my old Treo 800w was the Today screen where all your appointments, notes, tasks etc would show up on the main start-up screen. Of course webos is an entirely different animal and there isn't a true start screen like there is on WM and there are no options like widgets that you can add on Android platform. However I really like the implementation that apps like Weatherman do where they replace the wallpaper with an application:

http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/weatherman

Why can't there be a Today-like app with the same functionality? Instead of just weather, why not incorporate calendar events, notes, tasks, missed calls, weather? I would much rather have this than useless wallpaper that does nothing. Also, I am aware of apps like http://forums.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/200982-ahs-public.html, but I do not want to open a separate card for this functionality. I want to see all my data on the wallpaper screen. Some developer please consider developing an application like this!!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Given how webOS handles alerts and how I can leave things like the calendar open and "minimized" I have no need for this feature.

-
    Second link....not working so much.
    the ability to multitask eliminates the need for a 'homescreen' IMO. However there are apps in development that have the functionality you're looking for; most notably 'active home screen' right now there's a 'donations only' beta going on. Look through the forums if you're interested....
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Given how webOS handles alerts and how I can leave things like the calendar open and "minimized" I have no need for this feature.
    Well...gosh since YOU don't need it I guess no one else does right? Why post in an app request thread just to say why you don't want the app...good grief...
    Last edited by Gaurav; 11/22/2009 at 12:38 AM.

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    the ability to multitask eliminates the need for a 'homescreen' IMO. However there are apps in development that have the functionality you're looking for; most notably 'active home screen' right now there's a 'donations only' beta going on. Look through the forums if you're interested....
    How does multitasking eliminate the need for a Today screen? You logic makes no sense. Also, fyi but Windows Mobile does indeed multitask and that platform works quite nicely using a today screen. I like the notification system on webos, but I also would like to have all my alerts, calendar items, notes, missed calls etc on ONE screen for easy accessibility. The wallpaper on webos imo kinda useless when the app launcher is minimized and I think a background today-like screen similar to the way weatherman operates would be an ideal solution. Also I already am aware of AHS and even linked to the thread above. (Unofortunately PC's links are not working for some reason now). But like I said, I DO NOT WANT A NEW CARD!! I do not want open a new app, I just want something transparent on the wallpaper similar to weatherman similar to the way widgets work on android. If a developer was able to create something like weatherman for webos, why not a more integrated and powerful today-like app as well? It would fill the biggest thing I miss from WM quite frankly...

Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    You know how that one guy made Switcharoo? It switches the wallpaper every x minutes?
    Well, could the wallpaper be "updated" like that to support notes/calendar events, etc?
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    There's been a million threads requesting something like this. Hell, I posted one myself. I can't believe no dev has taken it up.

In fact, it seems PERFECT for the Weatherman developer. Just change from weather to pulling calendar information from people's Google Calendar or something. Personally, I'd prefer the "Today" screen resided on my lock screen, but I'll take it as a wallpaper.
    Quote Originally Posted by gage006 View Post
    There's been a million threads requesting something like this. Hell, I posted one myself. I can't believe no dev has taken it up.

In fact, it seems PERFECT for the Weatherman developer. Just change from weather to pulling calendar information from people's Google Calendar or something. Personally, I'd prefer the "Today" screen resided on my lock screen, but I'll take it as a wallpaper.
    I have looked into this kind of thing, but unfortunately I have to use the com.palm namespace in order to gain access to all of the calendar data...

There is a Google Calendar API that I could use, but any appointments stored anywhere other than Google would not show up.
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by TIWizard View Post
    I have looked into this kind of thing, but unfortunately I have to use the com.palm namespace in order to gain access to all of the calendar data...

There is a Google Calendar API that I could use, but any appointments stored anywhere other than Google would not show up.

HELL TIWizard!!! Thank you for chiming in here. I think myself and most users would be completely willing to be limited by the use of only google calendar for a functionality of an app like thie!! Since switching over to google to sync my PIM, I think many users have been relying on google for their calendar sync instead of Palm profile anyway. I hope you consider developing a today app like this!!

Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaurav View Post
    HELL TIWizard!!! Thank you for chiming in here. I think myself and most users would be completely willing to be limited by the use of only google calendar for a functionality of an app like thie!! Since switching over to google to sync my PIM, I think many users have been relying on google for their calendar sync instead of Palm profile anyway. I hope you consider developing a today app like this!!
    Exactly. My google calendar is synced with my phone anyways so it's all the same. I'd definitely be willing to pay money for an app that could do exactly what you said, TI. Hell, maybe you could incorporate a small weather icon into it too and combine the two? That'd be amazing.
    How does multitasking eliminate the need for a Today screen? You logic makes no sense. Also, fyi but Windows Mobile does indeed multitask and that platform works quite nicely using a today screen. I like the notification system on webos, but I also would like to have all my alerts, calendar items, notes, missed calls etc on ONE screen for easy accessibility. The wallpaper on webos imo kinda useless when the app launcher is minimized and I think a background today-like screen similar to the way weatherman operates would be an ideal solution. Also I already am aware of AHS and even linked to the thread above. (Unofortunately PC's links are not working for some reason now). But like I said, I DO NOT WANT A NEW CARD!! I do not want open a new app, I just want something transparent on the wallpaper similar to weatherman similar to the way widgets work on android. If a developer was able to create something like weatherman for webos, why not a more integrated and powerful today-like app as well? It would fill the biggest thing I miss from WM quite frankly...
    how does my logic not make sense? my needs are just different from yours. See i'm content with "card" system and i don't like the idea of having to close all of my apps in order to see whats going on in my "home screen" ala weatherman.. So multitasking In My Opinion eliminates the need for smart wallpapers because i have easy access to my "active home screen" as well as easy access to any other apps without anything obscuring my view as would be the case with WebOS. I'd just keep my active home screen open at all times" this is my opinion, no need to get all upset...
    I don't think that multi-tasking eliminates the need, but the real issue is the way in which WebOS handles multi-tasking.

WM handles multi-tasking (as far as user experience goes) in much the same way that desktop version of Windows do. In fact, there are a couple of WM addons that cause inactive apps to be displayed with icons in the task bar in exactly the same way as desktop versions of windows. Either way, inactive apps are kept open, but in the background, so whenever they're not the active app, you have a "desktop" to work with. i.e. the Today Screen.

WebOS is fundamentally different. All apps, whether active or not, are kept fully open. Even when fully minimized, they take up roughly 1/3rd of the vertical screen real estate. 2/3 when in "regular" card view.

With that in mind, there are only 3 ways I can think of to do what you want.

1. Completely abandon multi-tasking. Never leave any app open unless you are using it actively. Then you can do whatever you want to make the wallpaper into a "today" screen, but you also have the functionality of a 1st gen iphone, which would be a gigantic step back in terms of usability.

2. Modify the user interface of WebOS to eliminate the partially minimized card view, and then have your "today" information displayed on the the top 1/3 and bottom 1/3 of the screen. Of course, if you're going to do that, you could go as far as moving the fully minimized cards to the top or bottom. This would maintain the basic functionality of WebOS with minimal sacrifice, but your "Today Screen" would be read-only.

3. Completely re-design the user interface of WebOS.

Option 1 sucks, and very few people would want it.

Option 2 is a lot of work for little gain.

Option 3 'could' be exactly what you wanted, but quite frankly if this is what you want, you probably bought the wrong phone. And of course, it would be a monumental undertaking.
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    Option 4, lock screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by gage006 View Post
    Option 4, lock screen.
    Now THAT, is actually a really great idea. Never once crossed my mind, but that sounds very promising. As long as it didn't cause lag issues in locking/unlocking the phone, that has massive potential.
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    Now THAT, is actually a really great idea. Never once crossed my mind, but that sounds very promising. As long as it didn't cause lag issues in locking/unlocking the phone, that has massive potential.
    iPhone does it, intelliscreen. Never noticed any lag and damn if it isn't nice.
    Intelliborn - IntelliScreen® - Your iPhone UnLock Screen on Steroids
    an app like intelliscreen would be great...i loved it on the iphone!!
    I think some users are failing to realize WebOS basically already has this.

Open calendar in day view. Minimize card. Now you have today's appointments right there on the "desktop," basically one screen press away at any time. And even better you have complete accsess to edit and change things.

Sure it's not exactly the same as WM but then that's the whole point of webOS.

Well...gosh since YOU don't need it I guess no one else does right? Why post in an app request thread just to say why you don't want the app...good grief...
    I requested this exact same app months ago when the Pre first came out. I sure hope we see something soon!
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    I have been waiting for an intelliscreen type app since launch. It would be one of a few apps that I would pay for rather than going through preware.