Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    ive heard thatthe pre can actually run android on it. does anyone knoe a way of doing this? or maybe getting a custom rom on it?
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesolivarez View Post
    ive heard thatthe pre can actually run android on it. does anyone knoe a way of doing this? or maybe getting a custom rom on it?
    You would probably have better luck and a better performing device if you just got a phone that came with Android on it.
    now why would want to do that? web os is great! the pre is a piece of crap. If want to do some thing productive figure out how to put web os on another device.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by crash712us View Post
    now why would want to do that? web os is great! the pre is a piece of crap. If want to do some thing productive figure out how to put web os on another device.
    yeahh webos is great but just think of all the apps you would have on a great phone if you could just somehow instal android on it
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesolivarez View Post
    yeahh webos is great but just think of all the apps you would have on a great phone if you could just somehow instal android on it
    the Pre is great because of the OS. I'm not saying the hardware isn't good but Webos makes the Pre not the hardware. And if your saying running Android IN Webos as a card I don't think that would be very easy or even possible. It would be like running Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard in Windows 7
    That would be a lot of unnecessary programming because, although Android can be universal, it still has to be programmed to be used with the Pre. Who honestly has time for that with everything that's happening with phones today? By the time that even gets released, we'll be on to the next Great Palm Device.
    It would be great to tell pplz with G1, that my pre can do everything their phone can PLUS ALOT MORE.
    I played with the Droid today at work, and found Android to be... well... very boring and totally inelegant. It felt very much like a more refined version of Windows Mobile. The hardware was very sturdy but, in my opinion, just downright fugly and the keyboard was flat and awkward. The camera was incredibly slow in autofocusing and then in finishing a shot--I could take three or four shots (or more) on my Pre in the time it took to take a single shot on the Droid.

Sorry, went off on a tangent there re: the Droid specifically. Regarding Android, in short, I think that WebOS is remarkably more refined and usable, particularly given how much longer Android has been shipping. If/when Palm resolves some of the remaining issues and adds some needed functionality, WebOS will be a much, much better platform than Android, in my opinion.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Warblad13 View Post
    It would be like running Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard in Windows 7
    Snow Leopard Dual Booting Windows!!!

Enough Said
    Nokia 5100 - At&t - Nokia 6310i - At&t - LG Vx3200 - Verizon - Motorola E815 - Verizon - Motorola Razor - Verizon - iPhone-At&t - Pre - Sprint - HTC Evo - Sprint - Samsung Epic - Sprint - Blackberry Curve - Sprint - Evo3D - Sprint - Touchpad - HP
    How I roll since 1999!
    Quote Originally Posted by dog44 View Post
    they're not running together at the same time you have to choose which one to boot up not the same. i suggest you get your facts straight. And on a phone resetting it then choosing which OS then waiting it to boot would be hell to keep on switching back and forth. If you want apps why not the iphone OS on there too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warblad13 View Post
    the Pre is great because of the OS. I'm not saying the hardware isn't good but Webos makes the Pre not the hardware. And if your saying running Android IN Webos as a card I don't think that would be very easy or even possible. It would be like running Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard in Windows 7
    People do it all the time, VirtualBox.
    Quote Originally Posted by webosuser View Post
    People do it all the time, VirtualBox.
    your right anything is possible
    will it happen who knows
    I've read something about porting android to pre back in january. Someone knows what is the state of the port?

It would be nice to have alternatives and to mess arround with dual booting.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    A while ago, like before the pre was even out, I was heard talk of running Android on the pre.
    I haven't heard anything since and wonder if there was any progress.
    I would assume there would be some more progress now that the Droid is out on verizon and they use very similar hardware (processor, gpu, accelerometer).
    you can find a current discussion herehttp://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...-palm-pre.html

and for the real hot ****, follow

WebOS Internals (webosinternals) on Twitter

if it show's up anywhere, it will probably be there first.

and while we are at it, if you posted this thread from your computer you had to actively ignore the fact that a thread with the exact same title is active and available to you, and has current information on that topic because the forum software automatically searches for similar topics and displays them to you.

if you posted from mobile, you should try and search first, there is a handy option built in to allow for searching of thread titles only.

but given that you are new, welcome, and i hope my post helped.

by the way, here is an important link for future threads http://forums.precentral.net/faq.php...aq_vb3_posting

you can also spread the helpful spirit by using the thanks button when there is a good post you like/found helpful.
    Last edited by windzilla; 11/29/2009 at 05:47 PM.
    There are four lights.
    Very Nicely Done Windzilla.....
    My HTC Evo Is Great...
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    i believe the same chip is running the android and the pre. why you wouldn't just buy an android in the 1st place is beyond me.
    <merged and moved>

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    It would be nice if you could dual boot them both webos or android
    palm webOS is what makes the pre fantastic ! forget android .... Android UI is ugly
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast