1.    #1  
    Last edited by Aaron91RS; 11/03/2016 at 07:40 AM.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron91RS View Post
    23455 nerds just went huh and 1 other car guy went cool. lol
    A gtech tells you your 0-60 and 1/4mile times using and accelerometer. It also calculates torque and then HP based on your cars weight(you enter) and it's acceleration.

gtechpro DOT com for more info.

If the Pre has an accelerometer I would think it could do this too.

But if that's not enough motivation. The iphone does have an app to do this and also to scan the obdII port for realtime data and reset codes.

Now you're not going to let the iphone be better then you are you?
    You should really have a look at this thread. I even got a response from a developer that makes the green meter and gmeter, of which the gmeter does what you say (on the iphone). The short of it is he's worried about his code. When I asked the forums about obfuscation and code protection, their response was that it's not a whole lot safer on the iphone itself.

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...no-really.html

Not that i am unwilling to start a new thread
    You should contact the developer(s) directly and let them know you are interested. Maybe one of them will do it.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Sounds like HRT is worried about someone stealing his code if he puts it on the pre.
    To that I say you're making $0 right now, even if %5 steal it and the other 95% pay you're still making more then you currently are.

On the other hand. Some awesome guy like Jason will probably come along at some point and just go ahead and make it from scratch for free like he does all his other neat stuff.

Then how much will you ever get....
    Jason? Sorry, what software does he author?
  4. HRT
    Hi Aaron, I'm the gMeter developer. One of my colleagues on the forum pointed me to this post.

I'd love to bring gMeter to the Pre, but there is one technical issue and one intellectual property issue holding me back.

The technical issue centers around the accelerometer sampling rate. We need 50-100Hz for gMeter, and the webOS SDK only supports 4Hz (and it's a rough 4Hz at that). There are hacks to increase the rate, but I really need to have the capability in the official SDK to make a commercial app viable.

Second, I don't feel comfortable releasing an app on this platform until Palm provides some sort of protection/security for source code -- it's a very high intellectual property risk right now (which is why many other developers I talk to are not actively pursuing webOS ports). As you can imagine, a lot of work went into developing the physics engine in gMeter and making sure it's accurate. The same code underpins my other app greenMeter, and several apps I have developed for clients. So it's extremely competition-sensitive. I just can't risk having the source code out there in public.

If these issues get resolved, I will definitely consider a port. gMeter was one of the first vehicle performance apps for the iPhone, and has done quite well in the app store. It would be great to repeat this success on Pre/Pixi.

If you want more info on gMeter, or my contact e-mail, see "hunter (dot) pairsite (dot) com". I'll keep an eye on this post if you want to discuss further here.

regards,
    Craig
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    for the record, i would kill for this app
    23455 nerds just went huh and 1 other car guy went cool. lol
    As a car guy, I'd love to see this app. Hopefully it becomes doable in the near future and HRT feels it is worth his time and effort.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    (which is why many other developers I talk to are not actively pursuing webOS ports).
    Which specific developers have mentioned this to you? You are the first one that has explicitly come out and said so to me. I am curious why others are not voicing themselves. It would be helpful to know what other devs feel that way.!! Thanks
    HRT's response is completely reasonable. And, just to reiterate, it is not return for his time and effort that he is worrying about, it is the fact that developing for WebOS using the SDK is basically an open source environment at the moment. He must be prepared to give away his intellectual property if he distributes a WebOS application developed with the SDK. Until a lower level SDK is released, WebOS is destined to be a hobbyist environment.
  9. HRT
    Quote Originally Posted by Rkguy View Post
    Which specific developers have mentioned this to you? You are the first one that has explicitly come out and said so to me. I am curious why others are not voicing themselves. It would be helpful to know what other devs feel that way.!! Thanks
    It's not appropriate for me to give specific names since some of them are clients and others spoke privately with me about it in the hallways of a recent dev conference. But I think it's kind of telling that the app catalog is missing the heavy-hitter devs and many of the indie-devs that have become popular on iPhone and Android. That's a public confirmation of what I am seeing/hearing from my end. Mobile app development is cutthroat and very competitive right now, and devs are generally very guarded with source code.

I don't know if I'd go so far as to say webOS will only be a hobbyist environment as johncc suggests, but Palm is catering to a completely different crowd than the devs who are doing iPhone and Android apps. It has alienated a lot of folks in my circles. I was originally very critical about the poor accelerometer support and lack of OpenGL in the SDK, but I think the transparent source code is a much bigger problem, and more of a black/white issue. Either you're OK with having source code out in the open, or you're not. There's no real way to get around the issue. It hurts the bigger more established devs the most.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    I wish there was some sort of measure of future dev/app potential to let palm know these are the devs that will release on the platform given these requirements or needs are met in the sdk/ecosystem:

Need 1
    Need 2
    etc

Agreed to by:
    Dev Name A
    Dev Name B
    etc
    Last edited by Rkguy; 11/18/2009 at 10:36 PM.
  11. HRT
    I'd be willing to talk with Palm about this if given the opportunity. Last attempt to contact them via the dev forums was unhelpful -- obfuscation was recommended, and they said they were aware of the problem and exploring other solutions. Since that time, Ben and Dion have come on board and taken outreach in the complete opposite direction, evangelizing the open approach and encouraging devs to examine source code to learn how to make apps. Someone more important than me needs to sit them down and explain why traditional devs need better source code security and IP protection in the apps. I know they are web app guys, but they have to at least try to understand the point if they want to attract any significant ports of existing mobile apps.
    The WebOS environment is great for the interchange of ideas and self education of developers because of the ready access to other peoples source. What has been achieves by the homebrew community is testament to that. But I don't think that Palm can realise the potential of WebOS without making available the sort of access that the developers of Classic have to a others who wish to protect their intellectual property.