1.    #1  
    Any chance that something like Locale can be developed for WebOS?

For those unfamiliar with Locale, you can read about it here:

Locale - Top 5 Free Android Apps 2009 - FierceDeveloper

In effect, it dynamically changes settings -- wifi, ringers, etc -- based on your location. So when you get home from the office, for example, it can automatically switch on your wifi radio and connect to your network.

Unfortunately, I have a feeling that this probably isn't possible with the current SDK, which is pretty sad. But that's just a guess. Any hope?
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    There's something I don't understand about all of this class of location-based apps. If it's going to change your settings based on where you are, it need to be constantly monitoring your location (or at least a some minimal interval). Wouldn't this GPS usage be a huge strain on your battery?

This is a very different class of application than the current "location aware" ones where it gets your location only once, when you take a positive action by launching the app. What you propose would need to be constantly running the background, no?
  3.    #3  
    It would be constantly running, yes.

But I don't think the battery drain is that severe. Locale doesn't need to use GPS -- it can use triangulation, etc. That is, information that the phone is already collecting.
    We have chameleon in the app catalog to change wall papers. The battery strain of that would be the same as something like this. I would definitely use a program like locale, what would be great is if it could also control roaming options. My house is a fringe area, so roaming only is a MUST. But at work, I have perfect sprint coverage, so I would prefer to use it. It would be great to see a program that handles wallpapers, wifi, roam options and ringers (and vibe) all in one.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    I would be willing to pay for this, even if it's overpriced.
    Look up the thread for "Power Profiler"; add location awareness to the feature request list and you basically have the same idea. Nobody has picked this up yet, but I plan to at some point, possibly sooner rather than later if I can get it approved as a project for my software engineering class.