Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1.    #1  
    It was great for Palm to let us change the ringtone sounds but the feature is still not great. I have a ringtone set and it only plays the first 3 or 5 seconds! not the entire ringtone! Please advise. Am I missing something? Why would Palm put a time limit on the ringtones?

    Please help.
    Thank you.
  2. #2  
    I've noticed that it clips the Messaging tone
  3. #3  
    They must have seen the complaints over people not wanting it to play the whole clip.

    ie: People were setting 45-60 second ringtones as messaging alerts, & then complain that it played the whole file. I didn't realize they put a limit on this, but now that i see this i have more options for messaging ringtones, thanks for the heads up =].

    If you really don't like this, i'm sure someone could develop a patch for it (i can take a look at it tonight but i'm not as skilled as the rest of the developers here, so i can't make any promises).
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Veritas06 View Post
    If you really don't like this, i'm sure someone could develop a patch for it (i can take a look at it tonight but i'm not as skilled as the rest of the developers here, so i can't make any promises).
    I would really appreciate a patch that fixes this, if any developers feel inspired...

    Thanks!
  5. #5  
    if I can get it working, any preference to the length? I'm hoping I can just change it from 3 or 5 or the current length, to any value.
  6. jonnypage's Avatar
    Posts
    9 Posts
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    #6  
    a better tweak would be to play until a button press (volume, power, slide up, silence, etc) or the ringtone/ringing ends
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Veritas06 View Post
    if I can get it working, any preference to the length? I'm hoping I can just change it from 3 or 5 or the current length, to any value.
    Current length works for me, thanks!!
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantis2000 View Post
    It was great for Palm to let us change the ringtone sounds but the feature is still not great. I have a ringtone set and it only plays the first 3 or 5 seconds! not the entire ringtone! Please advise. Am I missing something? Why would Palm put a time limit on the ringtones?

    Please help.
    Thank you.
    Whew. I thought it was just me!
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnypage View Post
    a better tweak would be to play until a button press (volume, power, slide up, silence, etc) or the ringtone/ringing ends
    I believe some users were working on this on 1.2.1 but weren't able to get anywhere with it =/. Based on how long the length can be changed to, it can play the whole tone (assuming we can get the patch to change the value).
  10.    #10  
    I think we should have the option of putting a time limit (enter a number of secs) or just pressing a button (like jonnypage said)...I will keep my fingers crossed
  11. k8e
    k8e is offline
    k8e's Avatar
    Posts
    85 Posts
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnypage View Post
    a better tweak would be to play until a button press (volume, power, slide up, silence, etc) or the ringtone/ringing ends
    +1
  12. #12  
    Its my belief that the ringtone should play until the user addresses it. Just like with the alarm or a phone call. It seems to me that palm hasn't found a way to make this happen using the current notification system, so they give us this.

    i've never had a phone that didn't have ringtones of at least 30seconds that immediately cut off if the user presses a button.
    Last edited by Mhunterjr; 11/16/2009 at 06:52 PM.
  13. #13  
    before the 1.3.1 update it used to play the entire notification, but many users were bothered by this if they had 30-45 sec clip. I personally like the fact that it ends after a few seconds regardless of length. As for stopping a notification, none of my other smartphones were able to do this either. Palm is not the only phone that does not do this.
  14. #14  
    I had this same problem, but the clip it cuts off was short...I had to switch to a longer notification sound. Any ideas about this one guys?
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by libraryguy72 View Post
    I had this same problem, but the clip it cuts off was short...I had to switch to a longer notification sound. Any ideas about this one guys?
    I have a 1 second mp3 I've used in the past with the patch to allow for different messaging notification sounds. Since the 1.3 update with the new notification options it clips the tone at like .5 seconds.

    Something like this happening to you?
  16. #16  
    I'm not sure how possible this would be, but i suggest, tweaking the messaging app so that instead of getting a typical notification upon receipt of a message, we get one that more resembles what happens when the alarm goes off on your phone. Obviously instead of the users options being "dismiss" and "snooze" they would be "dismiss" and "read", Most importantly, like the alarm app, the ringtone sound will end when a button is touched.
  17.    #17  
    If there are any developers reading this;; can you tell me if the length or method of notification ringtones be modified? Is this something that can be accomplished by a patch or do we have to wait for Palm
    Thanks.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by wackyfoo View Post
    I have a 1 second mp3 I've used in the past with the patch to allow for different messaging notification sounds. Since the 1.3 update with the new notification options it clips the tone at like .5 seconds.

    Something like this happening to you?
    And it doesn't seem to be tied to a specific length. I have three different tones I'm using. It had been cutting off the one I set for my wife (the "nose-twitch" sound from Bewitched.) I found that by adding a few milliseconds of dead space at the end, it played the whole thing again. So it seems to just trim a few milliseconds from the end of the file.
  19. #19  
    I must admit I didn't like the old method. I would read the text delete it and my ring tone was still playing. ( 12 seconds) I prefer the shorter length. Until the figure out once you open the message for the ringer to stop. I hated that, or when on a call and it go's off.

Posting Permissions